• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Target Sports Delivering Again - Megathread

I was driving close to an hour and a half each way to my range in Indiana. It was a BEAUTIFUL 300yd range and there was never anybody there, but driving that far got old, FAST!

That’s why it was essential I got space for my 200yd home range here at my new place. Should definitely be room for 300yds too but my impact area will be about 60ft above my firing line.
Driving that far when you have a bunch of loads to test can be a real pain.

That is why I am a member at 3 clubs. One near by to test loads and drive when I want to be at the range in 15min and 2 further out.

Don't overlook Wyoming, no income tax.

Idaho, Montana, & Wyoming are cold af in the winter. Don't underestimate how different life is from NH or MA out there. That's God's country.
Expensive as SHIT though! I was looking out that way when I ended up buying in Kentucky last year. I couldn’t find anything decent with a little bit of land for less than $350000 (my absolute max budget I set while looking.)

@DJBrad you can shoot 400yds on your property in MA?!?!? You live out in the Birks?

Expensive as SHIT though! I was looking out that way when I ended up buying in Kentucky last year. I couldn’t find anything decent with a little bit of land for less than $350000 (my absolute max budget I set while looking.)

@DJBrad you can shoot 400yds on your property in MA?!?!? You live out in the Birks?

Wyoming, Montana, Idaho are all the same, if you want some decent acreage it is very expensive (especially if it has a good source of water), even much more than rural areas of New England or your area.

I can. It’s a purely technical measurement that falls within the confines of ma law. 500 ft from any dwelling and very far from any paved or gravel road (150ft). The land beyond the possible 380-390 yard berm is undeveloped state land but the berm would still be on my land. Unless a building or road resides beyond the target area I would need to reduce the length considerably but as it stands the next structure or paved road beyond the target zone is 2.6 miles away through all state land.

Would I build it? Not sure 😂

I found a spot that would let me shoot 1000 yards but it goes over a road. still above where people would drive, but im not risking that.

also theres a school on the other side of the hill used as a berm but I don't think its possible to hit unless you shot at like a 5° angle up

Interesting option from republic some .357 mag $.459 per. Haven't been following .357 lately so not sure how that price is currently but it's definitely better then it was!

Is this ammo any good?

Reviews seem good. But I can't find anything outside of TSUSA, everything I find online is for 140g.

Screenshot_20230128_095429_Chrome.jpg

Reviews seem good. But I can't find anything outside of TSUSA, everything I find online is for 140g.
Went to a precision rifle course out west back in 2021. This was a 600 round course. Quite a few participants ran this exact ammo without any issues.
Also, S&B is like Winchester of Europe: the ammo is sold everywhere and is quite popular.

I am looking at getting into 6.5, so no idea what is best, that or 140. Or if that ammo is any good.
140gr in 6.5 is like 124gr in 9mm: pretty much the standard. There are lighter bullets and heavier bullets that work for special cases but 140gr is pretty much the ideal 6.5 CM bullet weight: it does everything well.
S&B softpoint is a actually a hunting bullet.

I am looking at getting into 6.5, so no idea what is best, that or 140. Or if that ammo is any good.
140 is kind of the ‘middle ground’ for bullet weight in the 6.5. Kind of like 62gr in .223/5.56. It should work in most anything.

156 would work best in something with a nice fast twist that can stabilize it. I’ve never even tried shooting anything heavier than 140 in 6.5cm to my knowledge though.

Sorry for the ‘not help’.

I was gonna say. I didn’t know you were into 6.5 manbun
I knew it wouldn’t take long.
140gr in 6.5 is like 124gr in 9mm: pretty much the standard. There are lighter bullets and heavier bullets that work for special cases but 140gr is pretty much the ideal 6.5 CM bullet weight: it does everything well.
S&B softpoint is a actually a hunting bullet.
Precisely. We were typing the same answer at the same time.

Curious as to why you want soft point for anything other than hunting purposes…unless that’s what you want it for?

That’s pretty heavy for most 6.5 barrels.
Isn't this basically a hunting caliber? Kind of a down-sized version of 308 or an alternative .270 for those who are looking to dump money on whatever is new?

@Broc is full of surprises today.

Hopping the fence to the 6.5cm and hunting all in the same post.

I’m honestly REALLY impressed by the 6.5mm rounds that have been developed throughout history. I’m actually kind of amazed they weren’t the winner in the fight w/7.62. I think 30-06 was just the standard at the time (cuz 2 World warz) and 6.5 took a back seat for a while.

Isn't this basically a hunting caliber? Kind of a down-sized version of 308 or an alternative .270 for those who are looking to dump money on whatever is new?
It’s probably better known as a hunting/long range caliber than anything because it shoots flat as hell compared to other calibers. VERY useful all around though IMHO.

6.5cm is a great cartridge. It's essentially a 260rem with a bumped/reshaped shoulder. The biggest benefit is being able to shoot the longer/higher BC bullets that Hornady and Berger are developing these days, and objectively, it does make a difference at distance. The hate just shows lack of understanding, IMO.

@Broc one of the top shooters in the world is shooting berger 156gr bullets. YMMV but I wouldn't rule out 156gr bullets solely based on the grain weight. Price is good, I'd give em a shot.

Another little tip, Berger ammo, though expensive, is very consistent and loaded in Lapua brass if you were ever going to start reloading. Lapua brass alone is about $1/ea.

Would love to see a photo of these cartridges all in one shot:
6mm
7mm
30-06

Then a graph of their ballistics (speed and drop) from 0-200 yards.

Back
Top Bottom