Target sports fake reviews

Anyone else notice all the suspicious reviews on a bunch of if not all of the TSUSA listings, referring to the ammo as .9mm?

Not a snowballs chance in hell that a bunch of enthusiasts buying ammo are going to refer to the ammo incorrectly.

When I post a question asking why a bunch of the reviews refer to the ammo as .9mm, the question mysteriously go unanswered and gets deleted from the site.

fake reviews TSUSA.JPG

interesting. I’m always suspect of 5 star reviews on Amazon, too, and they’re usually short and written like the person almost died from excitement over the product.

Whoa...what a weird scenario. I can confirm what you're saying. Just looked up the cheap Wolf on their website. Same thing. All listed as ".9 mm" and every review follows the same 3 sentence structure:

Part 1
Praise the company by full name

Part 2
Quick blurb about what it is

Part 3
Praise Target for pricing and/or shipping speed

Examples:

Great .9mm ammo made by Wolf Performance, nice plinking ammo. Very affordable thanks to TSUSA!!

Great shooting .9mm ammo produced by Wolf Performance. Cheap steel for training, shipped fast from Target Sports USA!

Decent .9mm round from Wolf Performance. Good ammo for what it is! Thank you Target Sports U
SA!

Assuming these are all either farmed out reviews or automated spam to fill out the page, but the question is "why"? Another questions is are they putting fake reviews under real people/orders? Not that I'd care all that much because I'm not making buying decision over a 3 sentence review from Joe Internet Stranger. Still, kind of a weird thing to do for Target.

Between this stuff and the primers, it feels like they're ruining a lot of the goodwill they built up, for no discernible reason.
Short term financial gain (or until people stop paying their higher than anywhere else prices) could be the reason.

I'm torn because people are absolute idiots when it comes to caliber sizes but everything else is very unusual. I don't know if TSUSA is doing this but many places will prompt you with what to write in your review because it helps get the numbers up.

Between this stuff and the primers, it feels like they're ruining a lot of the goodwill they built up, for no discernible reason.

Lol what primers? you talking about the pricey primers they had listed? (that seemingly didnt last long) I would be surprise if anyone
actually paid that price for them, more than likely a commercial reloader or three saw that, started making some aggressive phone calls and
offered to buy the entire lot with an "ill come there and pick them all up so no hazmat" type of deal.

Kinda interesting contrast though, because I have made a few TS orders and got plenty of stuff at decent prices.

I've also seen some of their product being posted at rapey prices. (like for example at one point they had some 357 sig at 65 bux a box, I realize things are in short
supply, but jesus christ)

I think whoever is orchestrating their pricing is doing it based on the archetype of the perceived likely
buyer. Probably some price testing mixed in, too. I just ignore it and move on.

Every shop that sells ammo does this to some degree or another.... although the "price excursions" from one kind of
ammo to another, in terms of markup, are not normally that kind of extreme.

My favorite one so far:

"Solid accuracy from this .223 ammo produced by Wolf Polyformance. Haven’t had a chance to use it yet."

Either the person programming these bots is an idiot or its actually some competitor doing this stuff to try to make them
look like they shilling, and make it look bad in the process

Lol what primers? you talking about the pricey primers they had listed? (that seemingly didnt last long) I would be surprise if anyone
actually paid that price for them, more than likely a commercial reloader or three saw that, started making some aggressive phone calls and
offered to buy the entire lot with an "ill come there and pick them all up so no hazmat" type of deal.

Kinda interesting contrast though, because I have made a few TS orders and got plenty of stuff at decent prices.

I've also seen some of their product being posted at rapey prices. (like for example at one point they had some 357 sig at 65 bux a box, I realize things are in short

I think whoever is orchestrating their pricing is doing it based on the archetype of the perceived likely

Every shop that sells ammo does this to some degree or another.... although the "price excursions" from one kind of
They keep putting some up, there was a drop this morning.

Interestingly the notification on the Discord for the TSUSA drop actually read, "I really hate these guys, but in case someone is desperate..."

Whoa...what a weird scenario. I can confirm what you're saying. Just looked up the cheap Wolf on their website. Same thing. All listed as ".9 mm" and every review follows the same 3 sentence structure:

Part 1
Praise the company by full name

Part 2
Quick blurb about what it is

Part 3
Praise Target for pricing and/or shipping speed

Examples:

Great .9mm ammo made by Wolf Performance, nice plinking ammo. Very affordable thanks to TSUSA!!

Great shooting .9mm ammo produced by Wolf Performance. Cheap steel for training, shipped fast from Target Sports USA!

Decent .9mm round from Wolf Performance. Good ammo for what it is! Thank you Target Sports U
SA!

I thought the same thing until I put up my own site... trust me people really do post reviews like that, it's weird because every time I read one I'm thinking I didn't ship this product to India..

I thought the same thing until I put up my own site... trust me people really do post reviews like that, it's weird because every time I read one I'm thinking I didn't ship this product to India..

It's quite obviously a robot, though.

The other possibility is these are robots designed to spam websites with garbage, and they try to see what they can get away with as a sort of a a
smoke test with this kind of thing?

I can see that being plausible, but if you go back and look back to last August review (yes, I'm that intrigued by this mystery), the reviews start sounding like actual people, referencing actual guns and not using formal names for companies and Target.

Edited to say: The CS people who answer Q/A all appear to refer to 9mm as ".9mm". Hmmm.....

Last edited:
I discontinued my Prime account when they started to collect sales tax. Never paid attention to the reviews much. Just bought the ammo I needed based on what I needed.

Nevertheless, they should realize how much this erodes their credibility.

Assuming these are all either farmed out reviews or automated spam to fill out the page, but the question is "why"? Another questions is are they putting fake reviews under real people/orders? Not that I'd care all that much because I'm not making buying decision over a 3 sentence review from Joe Internet Stranger. Still, kind of a weird thing to do for Target.
I'm guessing they do it to help people justify purchasing the ammo at these inflated prices?

Hoping people will think "well, if Joe Internet purchased the ammo for this price then I will too before it sells out again"

Severely hurts there credibility and honest, good faith nature. Usually it's very hard if not impossible to prove but in this case it's pretty transparent they are fabricated.

Last edited:
I'm guessing they do it to help people justify purchasing the ammo at these inflated prices?

Hoping people will think "well, if Joe Internet purchased the ammo for this price than it I will too before it sells out again"

Severely hurts there credibility and honest, good faith nature. Usually it's very hard if not impossible to prove but in this case it's pretty transparent they are fabricated.

I have a theory now. During the height of the ammo crunch, those of us still buying were doing so begrudgingly, and most likely not in the mood to leave any review. So the pages started getting stale when the last actual review was months prior. And that's not a good look for any E-commerce website. Makes it appear like they aren't selling anything. So they got their CS agents posting all this spam to keep things fresh.

I did a review on an item that I actually bought at TSUSA. It had shades of negativity.

That was 3 weeks ago.

It is still sitting in my "Please Write a Review" form with a line that says "Your Review is awaiting approval. You can edit it until then."

A week ago I edited it and changed it to a positive review to see if it "gets approval".

Still nothing. I think I've been black-balled... [rofl]

My guess it is like refrigerator magnets that only hold up the "A+" tests from the teacher... Never the "F's"

I have a theory now. During the height of the ammo crunch, those of us still buying were doing so begrudgingly, and most likely not in the mood to leave any review. So the pages started getting stale when the last actual review was months prior. And that's not a good look for any E-commerce website. Makes it appear like they aren't selling anything. So they got their CS agents posting all this spam to keep things fresh.

In a fun sense of irony it would be better to not have that function on their site at all, if people are just going to fill it with gibberish.

I have a theory now. During the height of the ammo crunch, those of us still buying were doing so begrudgingly, and most likely not in the mood to leave any review.
Not just that, but many reviews were complaints about price, availability, ammo-bots that would snap up every round in stock and pissed members saying that dealers were buying everything before anyone could even log in. I also remember many, many gripes about orders being stolen right out of your cart.

So, they went with a "professional review service" is my guess... Or, got employees to do it on the clock.

They keep putting some up, there was a drop this morning.

Interestingly the notification on the Discord for the TSUSA drop actually read, "I really hate these guys, but in case someone is desperate..."
Yeah people are definitely buying them. Our very own @EddieZoom bought some recently. Not to put him on the spot lol.

theres a tool called scrapebox that allows you to programmatically post to forums and reviews or wherever else you want. does a lot of other cool shit too.

Anyone else notice all the suspicious reviews on a bunch of if not all of the TSUSA listings, referring to the ammo as .9mm?

Not a snowballs chance in hell that a bunch of enthusiasts buying ammo are going to refer to the ammo incorrectly.

Gun owners absolutely incorrectly write the names of cartridges. I see it all the time. Let's talk about .28 and .12 guage. Or 9 lugar. Really want to confuse people? Get into the old .38 and .32 cartridges in cheap old guns. And I see this in all kinds of places where you'd expect people to know better, like a shotgun-specific forum in reference to shotgun cartridges.

Some people shoot the wrong ammo in guns - a guy I know's friend was shooting 7x57 in a 7.65x53 rifle.

I'm not debating whether TSUSA is spamming reviews by bots because I'm not a customer (never had a reason to be, I used to live in RI and I live in NH now). But never underestimate the ignorance of others. Add on top of that how amazingly bad many people are at writing.

Are these “reviews” all WOLF product related?

Nope. All across the board tailored to fit the item being reviewed.

I did notice this though; that some of the item's titles come from what's printed on the box in the photo and not from the actual name of the manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom