Target Type and Distance Question

I am new to shooting and want to know how far I should send the target; 7 yards? 10 yards? (I use standard paper size 8.5X11 sheets) for a .22 and a 9mm.

Also, what type of target is best. I have been using the full-sheet circular target with a red center, but I have seen sheets with 4 triangles on them and ones with rows of dots.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I would start at 5 yards and get more distance when your shots are grouping nice and tight. Of course, at times the distance is dictated by the gun club. E.G: at MRA, there is 10 yard minimum on the indoor range.
I use paper plates for targets. Sometimes I would put a black circle in the middle of an aiming point, but blank paperplates work too. Just aim for the center.
Rows of dots can be used for drills, as well, but I would wait for the drills until you group well.

I am new to shooting and want to know how far I should send the target; 7 yards? 10 yards? (I use standard paper size 8.5X11 sheets) for a .22 and a 9mm.

Also, what type of target is best. I have been using the full-sheet circular target with a red center, but I have seen sheets with 4 triangles on them and ones with rows of dots.

Thanks!

i suppose the type of target used depends on the type of shooting you're trying to improve at.

i'm somewhat limited because the club i belong to is a 50ft indoor range (havent found a club local worth joining. harvard is too far to justify, Woburn is great, but doesnt prorate membership based on time of year, so if i join, it'll be in october when dues renew...and Reading, well, thats a goal, but they seem to have a 10year waiting list for new members)

personally, if im drilling myself on repeatability, i put up a blank sheet of paper, and shoot a hole it in....and subsequently try to put the rest of my shots through that same hole.

practicing for PPC, i used the reduced 50yard B27 targets (silhouette-style) @ 50ft and shoot for nothing but X's.

other than that, i use the 50ft smallbore slow-fire targets (TINY, x-ring is ~ 1/4" diameter), and use my .22lr upper to practice position shooting for highpower.

the target is a moot point. what you need to strive for is solid grouping. once you build solid muscle memory, your grip, stance, and trigger control become almost automatic. you need consistency to be accurate.

I would say stick with the .22 until you get consistently good groups with it at, say, 50'. If you want to try the 9mm before then, go ahead, take a few shots, but I would try to get familiar and consistent with the .22 before I spent much time with the 9mm. Most folks require a fair amount of practice to get the basics ingrained, and unless you have lots of money for ammo, the .22 will give you the best bang for the buck for practicing those basics. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

FYI: Remington has a bunch of color targets in .pdf on their site. These, paired with discrete access to a color work printer makes for a very 'cost effective' setup.

I may not have my statistics exact, but something like 97% of all police shootings happen within a distance of 15 feet. That implies that the bad guys will usually be that close when the shooting begins. So, practicing at that close a distance makes sense. I wouldn't go much further back (with a pistol) than say 30 feet. The trick is, as has been suggested, to start close, and move back as you develop a good grip, and shooting technique.

Any one of the shooting classes will help you (even in a one day session) to shoot better, and understand the concepts and techniques of shooting. They are all good, but obviously, I am a fan of the weaponcrafttraining.com classes.

Shoot at a White target with a small dot to aim at. This will help you focus on that front sight. Too much black on the target can be a problem. Don't look for your hits. shoot 5 shots about 5 times then go down and look. Looking after every shot can cause problems as well.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom