Taunton Rifle and Pistol Club

Hello.

I do not speak for the executive board.

I don't want to put down in writing 'ah hell, just ignore that bullshit', particularly in a focused public media

You seem to be a person both perceptive and smart. Use your good judgement. If there isn't a line of folks waiting to shoot, I see no conflict.

Curious, any one on here shoot trap on sundays? I’ve shot other places just not here (I am a member) and was thinking about bringing my son since he wants to give it a go, wonder how busy it was on Sunday mornings and anything else I should know before I show

Its hot and glasses fog up easily. Other than that Theyre good guys and i know a few of them will help out.

Thanks, I’ll see if he wants to give it a go tomorrow, like I said I’ve done it before plenty just wasn’t sure if I was going to walk into a weird situation or something since it’s the first time for me here

A few thoughts off the cuff, with the caveat that I'm not a trap shooter

The gate won't open until 10. Not 9:56, but 10:00:00 ... unless a range officer opens thing a bit early for setup.

The trap crew are generally very friendly. Try 'hi, I'm ________ and I haven't shot trap here before' as an opener. I can't guarantee you'll make a friend, but it has happened several times.

If you bring you own gear, shot size 7.5 or smaller diameter (larger number) pellets.

We run a very cold trap range.

The voice activated pulls are sensitive; no chatting on the line.

Ask questions if you have them.

Bring some water, it's stupid out.

Have fun.

From PA,
- Ben

A few thoughts off the cuff, with the caveat that I'm not a trap shooter

The gate won't open until 10. Not 9:56, but 10:00:00 ... unless a range officer opens thing a bit early for setup.

The trap crew are generally very friendly. Try 'hi, I'm ________ and I haven't shot trap here before' as an opener. I can't guarantee you'll make a friend, but it has happened several times.

If you bring you own gear, shot size 7.5 or smaller diameter (larger number) pellets.

We run a very cold trap range.

The voice activated pulls are sensitive; no chatting on the line.

Ask questions if you have them.

Bring some water, it's stupid out.

Have fun.

From PA,
- Ben

Typical stuff, thanks for it! We didn't make it this week, with the weather I'm kind of glad...it was gross yesterday, maybe either next Sunday or the following (it is only Sunday, right?)

Just an FYI, that the a for fun trap league is starting up this Sunday. 20 rounds over 10 weeks, and can be shot in advance. I've done the league a few times, and always have fun and improve. Hope to see you there.

A tip for stopping your glasses from fogging is to clean them with shaving cream before use.

Hey guys. Been a member here for a number of years, but just bought a bow and will be looking to use the archery range for the first time. I read the rules and know not to use when 300 YD or trap or black powder is going on. Can someone point me in the right direction as to where the archery range is located, and what "direction" the trails are? Also, if it is behind the gate, can I drive over to it or is it a bit of a walk to get there? TIA

Hi everyone. I thought the crickets were getting a bit loud.

awilson -unless things have changed drastically since I moved away, we don't have 'much' of an archery program.

The designated archery areas are behind the large yellow horizontal gate. Essentially, walk or drive through the gate, past the front edge of the paved trap pad, then turn right and walk / drive past the storage containers. There should still be a dozen or so rubber bricks more or less permanently mounted should you choose to use paper targets. I should *really* check the rules on this, but AFAIK you're certainly welcome to bring your own 3D targets and practice.

I've been a member for a few decades, and in that time I've only seen folks use a bow / crossbow perhaps 6 times. I absolutely do not want to discourage you, just want to set the expectation.

Back to the point - the lanes for stalking are cut into the pine trees which serve as part of the impact area for the trap field. Not certain if those have been maintained to any degree in the past few years.

You may wish to politely call the office at 508-823-0313. There's likely still someone there today.

Best,
-Ben

I'm one of the few that Bender has seen on the archery range. I don't recommend putting a paper target on the black rubber blocks, as they are nearly impossible to get arrows out of; I've broken a couple trying when an errant shot missed my foam target. I've noticed the lanes on my way to the 300 yard range, but never used them. Make sure to flip the sign to Archery Range in Use, and put the flag up before you go out (located at the yellow gate). I'm not a board member, just one of the few that use the archery range.

Aside from TRPC , there is Trader Jans archery in Fall River with an indoor range.

Copicut Rd in Freetown is another option. Go in deep enough and I cant imagine you'd have any issues.

Last edited:
Found a new job and moved out of state. I'm still a member in good standing, but not actively instructing, nor should you expect to see me at a meeting.

Still here to try and spread some good info an s#itpost.

Last edited:
I didn't see anything on here. For anyone interested, I saw a flyer for a 2 gun ( shotgun, handgun ) event on 10/10/20 at the TRPC outdoor range.

What is this about?

I asked at an eboard meeting again about allowing shooting SBRs at the indoor range, or to clarify the rules. The eboards reasoning is its members are stupid and if they see someone shooting a pistol turned into a SBR or with a pistol brace they'll think it's OK to shoot an AR15.

The rules currently state pistol caliber carbines aren't allowed, PCC is an ambiguous term and doesn't encompass what they intended to ban. By definition a carbine is a shorter version of a long rifle. A pistol with a stock or brace is not a PCC, an MP5 is not a PCC but they are still banned.

The logic the eboard is using to ban some weapons at the indoor range is something I'd expect to hear from Maura Healy.. Ban weapons on there looks and not functionality.

Now a M&P 15/22 or AR15 with a 22 conversion are A-OK at the indoor range. So apparently these "stupid" members can see the difference between a 5.56 AR and these but not a glock with a pistol brace.

The eboard refuses and gets defensive when confronted about this and refuses to listen to logic.

I asked at an eboard meeting again about allowing shooting SBRs at the indoor range, or to clarify the rules. The eboards reasoning is its members are stupid and if they see someone shooting a pistol turned into a SBR or with a pistol brace they'll think it's OK to shoot an AR15.

The rules currently state pistol caliber carbines aren't allowed, PCC is an ambiguous term and doesn't encompass what they intended to ban. By definition a carbine is a shorter version of a long rifle. A pistol with a stock or brace is not a PCC, an MP5 is not a PCC but they are still banned.

The logic the eboard is using to ban some weapons at the indoor range is something I'd expect to hear from Maura Healy.. Ban weapons on there looks and not functionality.

Now a M&P 15/22 or AR15 with a 22 conversion are A-OK at the indoor range. So apparently these "stupid" members can see the difference between a 5.56 AR and these but not a glock with a pistol brace.

The eboard refuses and gets defensive when confronted about this and refuses to listen to logic.
A LOT, and I mean a LOT of the eboard, RO, folks are cranky as a wet cat.

Im guessing ive been a member here longer than youve been living. (The key word is guessing) You knew the rules when you joined. Do you know the cost associated with the building the NEW indoor range ? The E board has every right to protect the clubs interests for the other members. If you cant deal with shooting your little so called rifle at the outdoor range, then find another club....... JMO

for the above post

Im guessing ive been a member here longer than youve been living. (The key word is guessing) You knew the rules when you joined. Do you know the cost associated with the building the NEW indoor range ? The E board has every right to protect the clubs interests for the other members. If you cant deal with shooting your little so called rifle at the outdoor range, then find another club....... JMO

the RO nazi also gave me shit for using a bump stock well before they were banned, just because the ban was announced. I set him straight. The place had definitely changed and I was happy to find another range. In another state :)

And yet they fail to apply many of the rules. The outdoor range is a dump. Despite the rules around picking up brass and not using food items or paint cans as targets the place is littered with all of the above. I used to spend time trying to clean up other people’s messes left behind but gave up after a few years since it seems no one else cared or tried. I was there a few days ago and it was worse than ever.

Sometimes the ROs make up their own rules/laws. I was told by one that using a pre-ban magazine in a post ban rifle was illegal.

I will probably look for another range to join next year. It’s a shame because they do have some great facilities but lack the discipline required to actually be effective.

Back
Top Bottom