• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Taurus Revolvers

Broc

NES Member
I never thought I would start this thread and I think Taurus (semi autos) are pure garbage.

However, I am looking at the next 3 revolvers I will purchase:

500 - I will go with a SW.
.460 - I might go Magnum Research or SW.
.454 - there are more options here.

For .454 I am leaning towards Ruger, but I thought I would consider Taurus.

This is not a skinflint move, the prices are not that far apart and I care more about quality over saving $100.

So, what are your thoughts about Taurus revolvers?
Quality?
Customer service?

I have no idea. But you have a nice list of guns to get.

I only have two revolvers yet I have never fired a revolver in my life.

I have had to return several for warranty repair within days, once even on the day, of purchase by customers. If you think the semiautos are junk, the revolvers are every bit as bad.

I never thought I would start this thread and I think Taurus (semi autos) are pure garbage.

This is not a skinflint move, the prices are not that far apart and I care more about quality over saving $100.

Quality?
Customer service?

Will you be getting a Brazilian wax to go with your Brazilian gun? Pics plz ( of the gun!!)

I have had to return several for warranty repair within days, once even on the day, of purchase by customers. If you think the semiautos are junk, the revolvers are every bit as bad.
Good to know.

F*ck Taurus then.

Is anyone aware of other companies that make revolvers in 500 and 460?

I like to look around.

I mean they don't have a good reputation as a company why would you trust your hands to them when shooting such high pressure and powered rounds.
You are right. It was a moment of weakness.

That's why I posted this thread, maybe someone was going to say that their revolvers are built like tanks. Just because their semi auto guns are junk, doesn't necessarily mean all their products are junk. I guess in this case they are.

But thinking about it a little more, even if their revolvers were good, there is no after market support. At least for SW and Ruger I can almost build an entire revolver with all the stuff companies sell.

oddly, it seems the last 2-3 taurus releases are getting super reviews. i don't know what's up with that. don't count gun publications, they're in bed with the manufacturers but just on youtube, taurus is racking up decent marks where they ordinarily wouldn't before. some reviewers are notoriously honest and they've surprised me. i haven't heard any disclaimers either indicating taurus supplied the firearm. me, i don't believe i've ever touched a taurus before but i've seen literally hundreds in used showcases in shops over the years. back in the day they were famous for the beretta 92 clone but it's been the revolvers that i've seen the most of traded in.

You are right. It was a moment of weakness.

That's why I posted this thread, maybe someone was going to say that their revolvers are built like tanks. Just because their semi auto guns are junk, doesn't necessarily mean all their products are junk. I guess in this case they are.

But thinking about it a little more, even if their revolvers were good, there is no after market support. At least for SW and Ruger I can almost build an entire revolver with all the stuff companies sell.
I mean lol trust me i have my moments too... ahem keltec ahem.... but with high pressure stuff id stick to the well known commodoties

oddly, it seems the last 2-3 taurus releases are getting super reviews. i don't know what's up with that. don't count gun publications, they're in bed with the manufacturers but just on youtube, taurus is racking up decent marks where they ordinarily wouldn't before. some reviewers are notoriously honest and they've surprised me. i haven't heard any disclaimers either indicating taurus supplied the firearm. me, i don't believe i've ever touched a taurus before but i've seen literally hundreds in used showcases in shops over the years. back in the day they were famous for the beretta 92 clone but it's been the revolvers that i've seen the most of traded in.
I will give them another 10 years before I consider them again.

no

Just no

ETA: 454 Casull sucks but if you told me I had to buy a revolver chambered in that I would get the big Ruger and set about polishing that turd. Also if Ruger gives you a bad revolver they will usually make it right. Taurus at best will just give you a different piece of s*** with a different serial number on it.

Last edited:
With the 460 you have the benefit of shooting 454s and 45 colts out of it. I have the 5" 460V and interestingly enough the recoil from 454s feels the same if not a bit more than 460s but that's just pure perception.

Last Taurus I had was a copy of a J frame (model 85 maybe) and another one that was a model 66? The barrel started spinning off on that one.

Magnum research if I had to pick.

Any company that can make a revolver to handle rifle loads will more than likely also handle heavy magnum pistol loads.

With X or N frames, or super whatever hawks, its pushing what it can handle, or at least 1 step below the threshold.

Quality varies. I've owned and do own a few Taurus from the 90s which are EXCELLENT guns. I've seen a lot of trash in recent years too, though.

I own a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in 454 Casull. I really enjoy it. I also have one in .44 mag.
And, I have a S&W 500.
No Taurus

Last edited:

Quality?
Customer service?
Many years ago I had two Taurus revolvers and one .22 semi auto. They were the biggest pieces of shit I've ever seen. If you melted all 3 down you couldn't make a decent ashtray.

With the 460 you have the benefit of shooting 454s and 45 colts out of it. I have the 5" 460V and interestingly enough the recoil from 454s feels the same if not a bit more than 460s but that's just pure perception.

Last Taurus I had was a copy of a J frame (model 85 maybe) and another one that was a model 66? The barrel started spinning off on that one.
Well, damn. You just saved me $1,200.

Ruger cs is no better/worse than S&W in our opinion and like Smith has stopped supporting handguns that aren't that old-revolvers should be forged not cast and -should- be all metal-though necessity required we obtain four LCR's, tool's; nothing more or less, and tools without any warranty to boot.

Back
Top Bottom