Taurus Revolvers

With the 460 you have the benefit of shooting 454s and 45 colts out of it. I have the 5" 460V and interestingly enough the recoil from 454s feels the same if not a bit more than 460s but that's just pure perception.
I also have a 460V and have had the same experience with the recoil of 454s vs 460s. I read somewhere that most 460 ammo is optimized for the 8 3/8’ so has slightly slower burning powder then many 454s. In the shorter 5’ 460V the faster burning 454 powder can actually generate more felt recoil because the recoil is over a shorter period of time. Don’t know if it’s true, but it at least conforms to my experience.

There are a lot of commercial loads available in 460 as well as 454 and the recoil will vary just as much. My 5" barrel is just perfect length and you can get 1800+ fps out of it. Very nice gun and very accurate.

In 500 stick to the 7.5 and 8.375 barrel lengths. All the boutique ammo out there is very high energy and is quite a handful in 4" and less barrel length. There is a 5" John Ross model that I have been really wanting to try.

With the 460 you have the benefit of shooting 454s and 45 colts out of it. I have the 5" 460V and interestingly enough the recoil from 454s feels the same if not a bit more than 460s but that's just pure perception.

Last Taurus I had was a copy of a J frame (model 85 maybe) and another one that was a model 66? The barrel started spinning off on that one.

I also have a 460V and have had the same experience with the recoil of 454s vs 460s. I read somewhere that most 460 ammo is optimized for the 8 3/8’ so has slightly slower burning powder then many 454s. In the shorter 5’ 460V the faster burning 454 powder can actually generate more felt recoil because the recoil is over a shorter period of time. Don’t know if it’s true, but it at least conforms to my experience.
Same experience with recoil impulse 460 feeling softer than 454 Casull Honrady 300 gr XTP® Mag™. But the barrel on the 10" 454 was a little longer.
I only have one Taurus and never had a problem with it, maybe because I never shot it [smile]
I bought a bunch of 410 for it and a Ponsness/Warrren press to reload, but never got started.

P1020777a.jpg P1020782a.jpg
Nice thing about the 454 is that shooting 45LC feels like shooting a 22
FA3a.png P1030261a.jpg

Last edited:
I own a "bunch" of revolvers, and was dumn enough to buy a Taurus early on. It was nothing but problems, do yourself a favor and pass them by. If you are looking for max loads, it is tough to beat a Ruger Redhawk. Is there a stronger revolver out there? 44 Mag max loads is enough for me.

Maybe I got lucky but I am pretty happy with my 6" Taurus 689 and it shoots just as well as my S&W 66 and Ruger Sp101 (Just my .02):)
I have one too. My favorite revolver. has an outstanding trigger, super accurate. I think most Taurus haters here have never shot one, and "heard it on the internet". Their semi autos are pieces of shit, but I never heard of Taurus Hand.

Good to know.

F*ck Taurus then.

Is anyone aware of other companies that make revolvers in 500 and 460?

I like to look around.
peter-sellers-being-there.jpg

I mean they don't have a good reputation as a company why would you trust your hands to them when shooting such high pressure and powered rounds.
You are right. It was a moment of weakness.
c571673a27ed53fdaea90b1a41b5e9f120ae8dac.pjpg

454 Casull sucks but if you told me I had to buy a revolver chambered in that I would get the big Ruger and set about polishing that turd. Also if Ruger gives you a bad revolver they will usually make it right. Taurus at best will just give you a different piece of s*** with a different serial number on it.
SS-DS/N?

I had the older Taurus 66 (K frame sized) and liked it well enough. I sold it a while back, because I didn't really like a 6" revolver. I'd replace it again with a 4" in a heartbeat over a newer (post lock) S&W, but will never get rid of my 15-3 .38.

Unless someone wanted to trade for a "Six series" Ruger?

(For some reason, I just plain don't like all the newer crap made since the 90s)

I have a 1980's Taurus Model 66 in .357 that I got for free from my boss who had trouble with it. I detail striped and cleaned it and found a ton of gunk (lube) in the clockworks.
I think he used to lock the hammer back and spraaaaay in lube... 😳

Runs like champ and lots of fun...

1626458925493.png
like this one ^^^

I mean that looks like he shot himself
I just couldn't bring myself to post the really ugly hand wound
that is always claimed to be a Glock kaboom,
but members of the Glock-American Community
swear can't be traced back to any Glock accident.

(Saw quite a number of far worse stump photos
than that one, too).

I just couldn't bring myself to post the really ugly hand wound
that is always claimed to be a Glock kaboom,
but members of the Glock-American Community
swear can't be traced back to any Glock accident.

(Saw quite a number of far worse stump photos
than that one, too).
I'm sure you did lol. Ive seen 10 mm double charge photos from a glock that have done serious hand damage. If your talking something already 2 times as powerful and then being double charged in cheap metal. Well that person is now stumpy

Back
Top Bottom