Taurus TX 22 Review

slap shot

NES Member
After 2 full days of waiting for a proceed I finally got my TX 22 yesterday. The closest thing I have to it is the phenomenal Smith & Wesson M&P compact so I’ll use that as the measuring stick.

The Taurus is a little bigger in the length of both the slide and grip but no wider, slightly narrower. They are both light but I love the Taurus grip, and if you have large hands, you will too.
EF1D1903-01D3-43DB-8391-ABB28598FA4D.jpeg4F3AC130-F241-476F-ADEE-C59EF2E4B310.jpeg
Features:

The 16 round mags are awesome vs the Smith 10 rounders. They both have the assist feature that lets you compress the spring while loading. The Smith is a little easier to load but 10 rounds.
The triggers on both are good. 4.5 pounds for Taurus and 5 pounds for the Smith. Taurus is a little gritty but a very crisp break. Both are very good.
Threaded barrel on both, which is a necessity now that I’m in NH.

i ran 4 different types of ammo from 36 grain bulk federal crap hollow points to mini mags and 42 grain low velocity gem tech suppressor. 200 rounds through and they all ran flawlessly.
D384DC35-59B1-4AE7-BDDE-0273D56DA32A.jpeg

Shooting at 25 feet this is a few mags of CCI std velocity rapid and slow. Sights are 3 dot white and worked great.

181067BD-39FA-41DB-A30D-1A5200C78E72.jpeg

If you can’t tell by now this is a winner. For $259 it’s a huge winner. Time will tell but due to the way the grip fits my hand, the trigger and 16 round mags, it might just beat out the smaller M&P.

It’s not the target pistol that my mark 4 target is and it’s probably not as nice or customizable as a 22/45 but they do cost twice as much or more.

Last edited:
After 2 full days of waiting for a proceed I finally got my TX 22 yesterday. The closest thing I have to it is the phenomenal Smith & Wesson M&P compact so I’ll use that as the measuring stick.

The Taurus is a little bigger in the length of both the slide and grip but no wider, slightly narrower. They are both light but I love the Taurus grip, and if you have large hands, you will too.
View attachment 353163View attachment 353164
Features:

The 16 round mags are awesome vs the Smith 10 rounders. They both have the assist feature that lets you compress the spring while loading. The Smith is a little easier to load but 10 rounds.
The triggers on both are good. 4.5 pounds for Taurus and 5 pounds for the Smith. Taurus is a little gritty but a very crisp break. Both are very good.
Threaded barrel on both, which is a necessity now that I’m in NH.

i ran 4 different types of ammo from 36 grain bulk federal crap hollow points to mini mags and 42 grain low velocity gem tech suppressor. 200 rounds through and they all ran flawlessly.
View attachment 353165

Shooting at 25 feet this is a few mags of CCI std velocity rapid and slow. Sights are 3 dot white and worked great.

View attachment 353168

If you can’t tell by now this is a winner. For $259 it’s a huge winner. Time will tell but due to the way the grip fits my hand, the trigger and 16 round mags, it might just beat out the smaller M&P.

It’s not the target pistol that my mark 4 target is and it’s probably not as nice or customizable as a 22/45 but they do cost twice as much or more.

Thanks for the range review, sounds like pretty favorable results. The only thing I'm a little concerned about it is your mention of a somewhat large grip. I have small hands with fairly short fingers, and, although I can shoot large gripped pistols pretty well, I prefer guns with grips on the smaller side such as 1911 types or my Sig P365.

Could you possibly get a measurement of the trigger span and post it or PM me? I'll have to try to find one locally and see how it feels in the hand, but it sounds like it will suit my needs, is inexpensive, and what's not to like about a 16 rnd mag! Thanks again.

I’ll measure it tomorrow but it’s not huge. No where near as big as my Glock 21. Just not tiny like an SR 22

I love my TX22. I've read that some owners have had an issue with the recoil spring digging into the aluminum slide and in some cases cracking it. I put a Lakeline stainless steel recoil assembly in mine just to be safe but it probably doesn't matter. I also like the +3 magazine floor plate extensions from Galloway which almost double the capacity of my TX22 over my Mark IV. Once I get my suppressor my TX22 will be perfect.

Thanks for the range review, sounds like pretty favorable results. The only thing I'm a little concerned about it is your mention of a somewhat large grip. I have small hands with fairly short fingers, and, although I can shoot large gripped pistols pretty well, I prefer guns with grips on the smaller side such as 1911 types or my Sig P365.

Could you possibly get a measurement of the trigger span and post it or PM me? I'll have to try to find one locally and see how it feels in the hand, but it sounds like it will suit my needs, is inexpensive, and what's not to like about a 16 rnd mag! Thanks again.
I have the TX22 and my 11 year old son can get a good grip and fire without issues. In my humble opinion, it is better than the Ruger SR22 by far.

I am approaching 1k on mine, with only one issue due to a crappy older round not going off. It's like shooting a squirt gun, and being so light weight it transitions fast. I love everything about this gun. The trigger is great but has some side to side wiggle that I never notice when I'm shooting. For about $260 I'm very happy. I replaced the front sight with a red fiber from Tandemkross, and this gun runs and runs,.. Thanks for your review!

Last edited:
View attachment 353275
I'd be happy to plunk down $400 for a Glock 44 if it had a threaded barrel, 16 rounds, a nice trigger and actually cycled .22 [rofl]
Hence the 2nd part of my comment. Once in awhile you can "win" with taurus.. it would appear that this is one of their less dumber ideas. I know they are popular and shops have trouble keeping them in stock.

Making good guns apparently. What's your personal experience? My wife has a Spectrum .380 that I kinda like too. Has not malfunctioned once in maybe 300 rounds. Not fun to shoot however, hence the low round count.
I know we are veering here but try the s&w 380ez. It’s a hoot, wife loves hers and so do I.

Making good guns apparently. What's your personal experience? My wife has a Spectrum .380 that I kinda like too. Has not malfunctioned once in maybe 300 rounds. Not fun to shoot however, hence the low round count.
I had three different Taurus guns in my shooting career. All three were absolute garbage. I forget the model number but one was a full size .357 with a 6" bbl and a vented rib and a full underlug. The other was a mid-size .357 with a 4" bbl, about the size of a model 19. And the other was a PT-22 with a tip up bbl.
The two revolvers made it through maybe a box or two of factory .38 special ammo before they had to get shipped back to Taurus because they were completely out of time. So much so that the firing pin mark on the primers was almost completely off the primer. They got shipped back and the same exact thing happened. The only difference was the 6" gun was completely locked up due to being out of time, the top strap warping, and the crane became bent, after two cylinders of factory 158 grain SWC.
The PT-22 suffere two broken firing pins which Taurus replaced. After they sent it back with its second firing pin replacement the magazine floor plate and spring flew off.
This might explain why not one single police department or government agency, or tactical unit, or whatever issues Taurus guns. At least none that I can find.
I think the three guns made a total of 6 trips to and from Taurus before I finally cut them up with an angle grinder and tossed them in my scrap metal pile where they belong.
It took that experience for my skin flint ass to realize that buying bargain basement guns is like buying bargain basement parachutes or scuba regulators. Just don't do it. Save up and get something you can trust from a top tier maker.

Last edited:
I had three different Taurus guns in my shooting career. All three were absolute garbage. I forget the model number but one was a full size .357 with a 6" bbl and a vented rib and a full underlug. The other was a mid-size .357 with a 4" bbl, about the size of a model 19. And the other was a PT-22 with a tip up bbl.
The two revolvers made it through maybe a box or two of factory .38 special ammo before they had to get shipped back to Taurus because they were completely out of time. So much so that the firing pin mark on the primers was almost completely off the primer. They got shipped back and the same exact thing happened. The only difference was the 6" gun was completely locked up due to being out of time, the top strap warping, and the crane became bent, after two cylinders of factory 158 grain SWC.
The PT-22 suffere two broken firing pins which Taurus replaced. After they sent it back with its second firing pin replacement the magazine floor plate and spring flew off.
This might explain why not one single police department or government agency, or tactical unit, or whatever issues Taurus guns. At least none that I can find.
I think the three guns made a total of 6 trips to and from Taurus before I finally cut them up with an angle grinder and tossed them in my scrap metal pile where they belong.
It took that experience for my skin flint ass to realize that buying bargain basement guns is like buying bargain basement parachutes or scuba regulators. Just don't do it. Save up and get something you can trust from a top tier maker.

I have plenty of top tier stuff. The TX-22 and some of their other newer stuff are getting very good reviews. G2C is another. I agree with you on the revolvers, would never get anything from Taurus. I thought everyone knew that. [rofl]

I know we are veering here but try the s&w 380ez. It’s a hoot, wife loves hers and so do I.

The EZ is the number 1 choice for folks that have issues manipulating a firearm. If my wife shot more I'd definitely get her one. She's a fan of suppressed 22 at this time.

The EZ is the number 1 choice for folks that have issues manipulating a firearm. If my wife shot more I'd definitely get her one. She's a fan of suppressed 22 at this time.
She may like 380 more if she got the s&w. My wife can rack the slide on most guns she is just recoil shy and I’m not letting her carry a 22 pistol!! But yes, suppressed 22 is fun! I guess I need to see if I can find a threaded barrel for the EZ!

Just found this while looking for magazines.

$233!

Was shooting with a couple of guys this week. One had a S&W .22 (Very small pistol, can't remember the model) that had been back to the mother ship twice due to failure to fire. It was still having about 20% FTF's that day, going back again for strike 3. He pulled out a Taurus TX22 that fired several mags perfectly. He said in hundreds of rounds, never had a FTF, FTE, etc.
Go figure....
I've had Taurus revolvers that have been fine. I still prefer S&W's but I haven't had a problem with T revo's.

The
Was shooting with a couple of guys this week. One had a S&W .22 (Very small pistol, can't remember the model) that had been back to the mother ship twice due to failure to fire. It was still having about 20% FTF's that day, going back again for strike 3. He pulled out a Taurus TX22 that fired several mags perfectly. He said in hundreds of rounds, never had a FTF, FTE, etc.
Go figure....
I've had Taurus revolvers that have been fine. I still prefer S&W's but I haven't had a problem with T revo's.

The smith compact 22 is actually made by Smith and is a well made pistol that eats all 22 ammo. The earlier full size is made by Walther and is less reliable per reviews

Another few hundred rounds suppressed. Running like a Swiss watch. Added bonus. Fits perfectly in the cz75 holster. Not going to carry but nice around the yard. 84C9C407-2754-41FC-8196-76E8AE80C2F5.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom