• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tavor shotgun

Why does this appeal to me? I'm more of an A-5 Sweet 16 guy when it comes to semi auto shotguns, but this is one new gun that seems really cool. Plugging it for waterfowl will be a pain in the arse, but I guess I could just use the Browning for ducks and have this one for deer or home defense. Or just making loud noises and smiling.

One of these popped up today at ___ but didn't last 5hrs on the shelf. Any other sightings?

Last edited:
Did they do tube mags just to get around state mag restrictions?
12g shells and box mags often have storage issues.... not to mention the ergo dumpster fire with large 12g mags. Both of these are why guns like the usas, atkisson, etc tend to show drum mags. Drums are pricey, though.

Saw a video on You Tube on the TS 12 interesting design it can handle 2 an3/4 an3 inch shells no problem. 2hat really surprised me was the MSRP of $1300 figured it was going to be much higher. Leave it to the Isrealis to come up with a high cap shotgun that doesn't need a small cart to move it around on.

So, are these Mass legal?
Is anything in massachusetts legal? But anyways given that the thing can pass the feature test depending on how the AG wants to define the feeding device. Since the there is only a capacity of 5 and the shotgun just contains 2 additional feeding devices in the ready stow position. Probably. I could see a lot of people being comfortable selling it given the definitions of the written law.

People already got bored of the Keltec?
I never bothered because it's pump and it's a Keltec.

Is anything in massachusetts legal? But anyways given that the thing can pass the feature test depending on how the AG wants to define the feeding device. Since the there is only a capacity of 5 and the shotgun just contains 2 additional feeding devices in the ready stow position. Probably. I could see a lot of people being comfortable selling it given the definitions of the written law.
___ said they're not comfortable selling it; ___ said they are.

Last edited:
What kind of optic would you put on it? I'm thinking about Eotech, ring for shot and central dot for slug.

Eotech.jpg

Ever seen someone run one of those? Possibly the worst pump action in the world. Even the best shooters have a hiccup or two in a mag of ammo. It makes the 590 look slick.

Not to mention, no matter how many times you tell someone not to short stroke it, they do, and it is a royal PIA to clear it.

Shotgun Assault Weapon: A semiautomatic that has at least two of the following:

- folding or telescoping stock

- pistol grip protruding beneath the action

- fixed magazine with more than 5 round capacity

- ability to accept a detachable magazine

Those last two might need technical refinement with this type of device. Not sure you could call this a "fixed" magazine or a "detachable" magazine. Although, given this is MA, they'll just call the entire rotating tube system the "magazine", label it an assault weapon, and call it a day.

I have two VEPR 12s (don't remember why, probably dumb panic buying a few years ago). Going to sell one of them off and pick this thing up.

i am in the hunt as well

They are pretty much unicorns at the moment - I think dealers are just now getting the single units they were able to order back in 2018. Maybe IWI will get ahead of some of the orders in 2020.

I got the "back in stock" notice from Big Daddy Unlimited at 11:46, was out of stock again when I clicked a few minutes later.

Based on the serial number, mine is the 46th off the assembly line. It just went back to IWI for repair. It had occasional FTF issues on the last round in each mag tube (aproximately 4 out of 250 rounds fired). Honestly, I probably wouldnt have even bothered sending the gun back if that was the only problem. The gun does seem to have an inherent design flaw: It will not pickup a fresh round after lock back, if there are less than 3 rounds inside the next tube. The way this gun is designed, the bolt locks open after the last round in a tube is fired, subsequently, once the magazine is rotated to align a fresh tube with the chamber, the gun is supposed to release the bolt and automatically chamber the next fresh round from the new tube. Seems to me the shells are catching on the bolt hold open lever inside the receiver. When the mag is fully loaded, the spring pressure is heavy enough to overcome it. However, if the tube has less than 3 shells inside, the magazine spring seems to be too weak to overcome the pressure of the bolt hold open lever, causing the shell to stick halfway inside the receiver and magtube. Overall, to be clear, this is not a catastrophic failure, and the shotgun does function fairly reliably, as long as all the tubes are fully loaded from the start, so the only time this could become a problem is if the shooter has limited rounds remaining and cannot fill the entire tube with ammunition. So despite this FTF problem, the gun otherwise functions properly.

IMG_5869.jpg

Aside from that, Overall, the gun is pretty ergonomic, despite its large size. Its well balanced and fairly light. Recoil is very manageable for a 12GA. Even with heavier buckshot and slug loads, muzzle climb is moderate to low and it comes back onto target fairly quickly for follow up shots. I have fired about 250 rounds through the gun so far, and it has grown on me quite a bit, despite the inherent FTF issue, which I hope will be resolved. The design initially took a bit of getting used to, but now the controls feel much more intuitive. With a little bit of practice, it is very easy to operate. Takedown on the gun is also very simple. Without tools, the gun fieldstrips in less than 2 minutes and the majority of the main components become easily accessible for cleaning. I expected some growing pains with this being a brand new platform for IWI, so well see how it does once it gets back from the shop.

Overall, I don't think there's even a comparison to the Keltech KSG in any way. IMHO The quality, fit and finish on the TS12 is superior to the toyish feel of the KSG. To be fair, my experience with the KSG was very brief, considering it spent more time in FL being repaired than time on the range. It went back to Keltech 4 (FOUR) times for the SAME issues. Every time it came back, it wasn't much better than it was when it left. It continued to be plagued by failure to feed, failure to eject, dry cycling, and every other issue known to man. The poor design of the transfer bar, made the gun very difficult to chamber. I had to white knuckle the pump action and slam it violently rearward to chamber it, making the gun come off target, and despite all this, it still only succesfully chambered 70% of the time.

Last edited:
Just sighted in with rifled slugs and an Eotech at 25yds. Add 1000 lumens and this is a MEAN little freight train.

IMG_1649.JPG

I played around with feeds specifically because you mentioned the FTF on half-full tube, @uziduzit . Mine will feed all five out of one tube reliably, then feed the first on rotating to the next tube every time unless there is only one in that tube. Apparently my tube spring tension is high enough with 2-5 shells on all tubes, which I can live with. Serial's in the upper 300s. Hope IWI can tune yours.

For anyone curious, patterns with Federal 00 buck (TSLE12700) after sighting at 25yds. Pretty nasty within home defense range.

IMG_1650.JPG IMG_1651.JPG IMG_1652.JPG IMG_1653.JPG IMG_1654.JPG

Back
Top Bottom