• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tax Free Weekend

That’s a rare circumstance. If you need cabinets and can verify that the vendor didn’t increase prices for “tax-free” weekend, then yes, take advantage. Or just drive to NH where those savings could be realized year-round

But in most cases, especially with regard to guns, you can save 6.25% or more the other 363 days/yr by simply paying in cash or being a good customer.

As said above, it is also true that many vendors increase prices, or simply don’t have their normal sales, in preparation for the “perception of a deal” during sales tax weekend.

Hell, I’ve gotten 5%+ off even in big box stores just by asking.

The Mill was apparently packed - I’m sure guys were very excited to wait in line for $20 off a lower. In reality, Sharif has given me better deals than that after we agreed on a price just for making him laugh with a good joke and paying cash.

None of this even factors in the consumers that buy shit they don’t need because “6.25%!”. Or as my old lady would say: “it’s passing up free money if you don’t buy it!”
I agree with all of this.

Personally, I will analyze each purchase to determine the best method of payment. Sometimes cash works best, sometimes credit. I’m currently getting 10% cash back on all fuel purchases. And sometimes, the time spent waiting in line isn’t worth the savings. Also, as you mentioned, never hurts to ask for a deal.

I dont have any skin in the game…

But another member above referenced taking advantage of the tax savings to buy $2500 in cabinets. Are you saying they are a sucker for doing that? Just trying to understand what’s wrong with due dilligence and smart shopping.

Buying kitchen cabinets that you can't throw in the trunk of your car is a whole lot different than buying brake pads or a case of ammo or a gun.

Buying kitchen cabinets that you can't throw in the trunk of your car is a whole lot different than buying brake pads or a case of ammo or a gun.
But, I’ve been waiting for this moment for alllll my life to buy brake pads on tax free weekend, ohh lord, oh lord, oh looorrrd!!!

I have found some stores will have a sale on an item and then remove the sale for tax free weekend, then put the sale back on.

But I agree, if you pay attention and need it anyway, you could get a good deal on tax free weekend...but you do have to monitor the prices.

That may be an issue with some Massachusetts vendors, but was not an issue for me in this case. I will generally make the trip from southeastern Mass to NH for big radio purchases. In this case though, the vendor in Alabama honored the tax free weekend at the regular price with free shipping as well. It saved me about $80 in tax AND three hours of total driving. I count that as a win for me.

That may be an issue with some Massachusetts vendors, but was not an issue for me in this case. I will generally make the trip from southeastern Mass to NH for big radio purchases. In this case though, the vendor in Alabama honored the tax free weekend at the regular price with free shipping as well. It saved me about $80 in tax AND three hours of total driving. I count that as a win for me.
If a vendor in Alabama is giving you the Massachusetts tax-free price, then that should tell you all you need to know about “tax-free” weekend.

If a vendor in Alabama is giving you the Massachusetts tax-free price, then that should tell you all you need to know about “tax-free” weekend.

Maybe you misinterpreted what I was saying. I paid non-inflated pricing, got free shipping and they removed the tax charge that they remit to Massachusetts.

Maybe you misinterpreted what I was saying. I paid non-inflated pricing, got free shipping and they removed the tax charge that they remit to Massachusetts.
The Alabama vendor deducted the value of the tax from the purchase price. I’m saying a smart consumer can do that 365 days/yr. Your deal is proof of that.

Back
Top Bottom