• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tax Free Weekend

I generally go to NH for stuff. And I order my guns off of tax free websites usually.

Tax free is not a big deal to me, being not far from NH. Plus its only up to $2500.....meh.

I may buy some tax free ammo online at Target Sports.
$2500 per item, no limit on total. Homecheapo and Blowe's and the like, do crazy sales during it. you can build a house mostly tax free if you purchase everything that weekend

Been needing to update my phone. Holds a charge for about 5 hours before crapping out. Been limping by the past month and a half waiting on this tax break, but now that I've sat down and done the math, I'm expecting a whole $37.50 in savings. WHOOPIE!!! Not sure why I've been torturing myself the past 1.5 months just to save less than $40.

When I lived in MA, I made good use of the tax-free weekends, but never stood in long lines on those days.

- I prepaid for a new oil burner one year,
- I ordered a new refrigerator, prepaid a few days in advance to process it on that weekend,
- We were renovating our house, so I ordered all the carpeting and tile floor to process the order on that weekend,
- etc.

Now that I live in tax-free NH, every day is a tax-free day.

i pretty much shop exclusively in nh for everything but gas. the 51 other non tax free weekends in mass have trained me.

So, I show up to Verizon, all I want is to spend money and bail out. I dont even need them to set the phone up at the store. In and out, 5 minutes, I already know what I want, no trade in.

Guy tells me they work by appointment only. I look around, there is no one.

Guy tells me to use the app and pick it up later.
Verizon app is sh*t, I tried to buy 4 times, won't add to cart. The guy looks at it and says "go to Best Buy" ... [rofl] ... which is right next to the Dedham Verizon.

I look at the guy, I say the store has bee empty for 15 minutes just ring me and take my money. "Can't do it, go to Best Buy or make an appointment."

So, since they only work by appointment, I booked 7 appointments, one for each device we have on the plan tomorrow. I will not go to any.

Maybe I will schedule 7 more for next Saturday as well, since it only takes a minute - seems to be the only thing at Verizon that works.

the only thing at Verizon that works
I saw one of those splice "boxes" (more of a tube), on the ground for months. Finally, one day while walking the dog, I went over, picked it up, and wrapped it around and draped it over a 30 MPH road sign. It was hung back up on the lines within maybe a day or two.

For now on, I'm going to do that, or make little signs that say "Verizon sucks" or "Charter sucks", and hang them from their wiring that is hanging down.

Every day is tax free weekend when I drive 20 minutes north to Seabrook NH. It's also bottle deposit free weekend. And cheaper beer. and no traffic. And sport betting.

Why do I live in MA again????
You forgot fireworks.

Last edited:
Ordered a new iMac over the phone. Tried on-line but showed tax being added. The Apple Wench explained that it shows tax but will be removed when CC is run.

So, I show up to Verizon, all I want is to spend money and bail out. I dont even need them to set the phone up at the store. In and out, 5 minutes, I already know what I want, no trade in.

Verizon app is sh*t, I tried to buy 4 times, won't add to cart. The guy looks at it and says "go to Best Buy" ... [rofl] ... which is right next to the Dedham Verizon.

I look at the guy, I say the store has bee empty for 15 minutes just ring me and take my money. "Can't do it, go to Best Buy or make an appointment."

So, since they only work by appointment, I booked 7 appointments, one for each device we have on the plan tomorrow. I will not go to any.

Maybe I will schedule 7 more for next Saturday as well, since it only takes a minute - seems to be the only thing at Verizon that works.
IIRC cellphone purchases were specifically exempt from the tax-free weekends in the past. Better check.

Even when I was in MA, I bought mine at locations in NH after being bit once for MA sales tax on MSRP, not the discounted price I actually paid. I later confirmed that it was a DOR ruling, so screw that.

IIRC cellphone purchases were specifically exempt from the tax-free weekends in the past. Better check.

Even when I was in MA, I bought mine at locations in NH after being bit once for MA sales tax on MSRP, not the discounted price I actually paid. I later confirmed that it was a DOR ruling, so screw that.
$0.00 tax.

Ended up ordering online at Best Buy. F*ck Verizon.

My son wanted to change his cellphone service (Verizon to T-Mobile) and convinced me to go along so that we could qualify for the 55Plus program. We did it this morning, got two new phones, some extras, and saved a bundle on car insurance...oops! Just channeled my inner Flo. Saved a bunch on sales tax. Whoever determined that you had to pay cell phone sales tax upfront when spreading the cost out over several years did not take tax free weekends into account.

Been needing to update my phone. Holds a charge for about 5 hours before crapping out. Been limping by the past month and a half waiting on this tax break, but now that I've sat down and done the math, I'm expecting a whole $37.50 in savings. WHOOPIE!!! Not sure why I've been torturing myself the past 1.5 months just to save less than $40.
But some booze with the savings. You'll forget about it

Based on the past few "tax-free weekends", I'm going to have a major appliance crap out in two weeks (after the tax-free weekend).
My washing machine died last weekend. After spending $200 on a replacement part and spending hours trying to get it apart I caved and ordered a new machine this week. And of course the day after I ordered it my dishwasher died so back to the store. Both were delivered yesterday. Ca-Ching!!!$$$. I got a good deal on both and no tax so I shouldn’t bitch.

Bought a bunch of car parts and some ammo. Stocked up on oil, air filters and oil filters. Brakes for my sons car he will need in the fall. Ammo From tsusa, lighted nocks for arrows, random shit I needed.

Whatever. Its all 15 mins up in NH tax free the next time. Except the ammo that is. And the brakes were tax free off of rock auto

Last edited:
I generally never partake in this scam to save 6.25%, but this year I'm thinking of a few things I was going to get last week, figured I'd wait until tomorrow.
1) Tool Chest from Harbor Freight
2) Pool sand filter

Amazon recognizes the tax free thing too right??
Yes, Amazon recognizes tax free weekend. I delayed a purchase to take advantage of it. Which I made this morning.

Same thing happened to me when my iphone got crushed and I had to get a replacement at 10 am on a weekday when the apple store opened. I was just buying the phone they weren’t going to set it up. I was literally the only customer in a store with 5 employees and they told me I had to make an appointment to buy an iPhone and they had one in 15 minutes. I felt like telling them to go f*ck themselves but I needed the phone for work that day.

Was going to order some stuff from Midway but didn’t as they were still going to charge tax.
Did buy a CVA accura BP rifle at a local shop and some arrows and lighted nocks.

Was going to order some stuff from Midway but didn’t as they were still going to charge tax.
Did buy a CVA accura BP rifle at a local shop and some arrows and lighted nocks.
I bought a bunch of Easton 6.5s. Now I wont need any for years. I like to buy a bunch of the same that work that way im not messing with components and thicknesses.

I was going to buy a Stand from midway. They are not tax free??? They should be.

I bought a bunch of Easton 6.5s. Now I wont need any for years. I like to buy a bunch of the same that work that way im not messing with components and thicknesses.

I was going to buy a Stand from midway. They are not tax free??? They should be.
I assume that they are not big enough to be able to monitor all of the tax free days. They are stuck in the middle of being big enough to have to collect sales tax but not big enough to monitor everything

Back
Top Bottom