• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tax Free Weekend

When the surplus hits 3B$ it triggers a refund of some of it.

Well, since that happened they immediately shitcanned the gas refund idea of $250........and now they are trying to squirrel their way out of returning what they are supposed to.

Motherf***ers! Im sure all the people buying cars, trucks and RV's has them flush with cash.

I wanted to wait til i got outta here to buy a new truck, but had to pay them a**h***s $1800 myself because I needed a new vehicle and used ones are retarded.

Fing stupid........

Vehicle sales is $1.117 billion in revenue for the FY2023 budget. The total budget is $39.575 billion in revenue. So while a significant income generator, it's still not top dog for money making in MA. Believe it or not, but meals tax makes the state more money ($1.323 billion projected for 2023). And both of those pale in comparison to the real meat and potatoes of income tax, corporate tax, and general sales tax.

That all aside, a measly tax holiday is BS in light of the massive surplus. I'd be amazed if that weekend was half of 1% of projected 2022 sales tax revenue. Here's the real impact for the state. If you took the projected 2022 budget for sales tax, $5.762 billion, divided it by 365 days, and multiplied it by 2 days, you get $31.5 million. Divide that by the population of MA, and they sacrificed $4.60 cents per resident. Now, I'm sure things aren't exactly that even, but it puts these massive numbers into perspective. They're sitting on a $5 billion dollar surplus and the toss us $4.60 per as some sort of prize.

Been on the prowl for a Bosch 800 series dishwasher for about a month now since our 10-15 year old dishwasher is on it's way out at this point. Friday morning, checked the HD website out of habit and hallelujah they found some to stock just in time for tax free weekend.

Ordered Saturday morning, combined with the HD card and special 12 month interest free financing offer. Perfect timing all around.

I picked up a Kadet kit from Dean Safety. Otherwise didn’t do any special shopping

Been on the prowl for a Bosch 800 series dishwasher for about a month now since our 10-15 year old dishwasher is on it's way out at this point. Friday morning, checked the HD website out of habit and hallelujah they found some to stock just in time for tax free weekend.

Ordered Saturday morning, combined with the HD card and special 12 month interest free financing offer. Perfect timing all around.

You will open it many times while its running and say "sh!t".
;)
You have to train yourself to look for the red light on the floor, lol.

I didn't even venture out at all. The previous Thursday, I bought a couch at Jordan's. I didn't care about the 10%. It was already discounted. Not the Thursday before. The Thursday BEFORE the Thursday before hte weekend.

Years ago, I went furniture shopping on TFW. It was a shit show. Another one, I pre-shopped (at Jordan's again, I think) and you could go and PAY on TFW. I went at open. Still waited 45 min. TO PAY! LOL

I didn't even venture out at all. The previous Thursday, I bought a couch at Jordan's. I didn't care about the 10%. It was already discounted. Not the Thursday before. The Thursday BEFORE the Thursday before hte weekend.

Years ago, I went furniture shopping on TFW. It was a shit show. Another one, I pre-shopped (at Jordan's again, I think) and you could go and PAY on TFW. I went at open. Still waited 45 min. TO PAY! LOL
In the past after "pre-shopping", I gave the company my cc number for processing ON TFW and picked up the product or had it delivered the week after TFW. Thus, I didn't have to stand in any lines or sit in traffic. It all worked out great in each case.

I generally don't buy furniture or bedding, computers, phones, TV's on Tax Free Weekend, those stores become shit shows. I buy that stuff up in NH anytime I want or need it.

Appliances.....Ill go to Whitco in Spencer and get it tax free up to a week before as he will honor it tax free, and then get it delivered.

The other stuff I bought tax free online.

I did go to WM on Tax free day and it wasn't busy....like any other day really, all I bought there was stock up on oil filters, wipers, air filters and oil.

I did pick up a few items at the last minute. But I wonder, what should I do with the ammo I bought? I don't have a 300 Blackout upper.

(yet)

Tax Free Weekend.JPG

Last edited:
We were ordering about 2500$ worth of cabinets for a built in desk for the office, waited until the weekend to pull the trigger. Was all online. Grabbed a few things from Home Depot, wasn’t busy actually.

It’s amazing that 6.25% motivates you guys. Most small businesses will give you that discount anytime if you pay in cash. The Mill shops will give you atleast that off if you’re simply just not an dick.

It really is funny how easily people are led by the government these days, the response to this stimuli is Pavlovian.

It’s amazing that 6.25% motivates you guys. Most small businesses will give you that discount anytime if you pay in cash. The Mill shops will give you atleast that off if you’re simply just not an dick.
I agree....people will pass up a 10% sale then buy on tax free weekend when not on sale.

My last shotgun was very expensive, it went on sale for 200 dollars less online at a tax free online shop. I do watch sales and buy when they hit, not wait til tax free weekend. Between sale and tax it saved me nearly 500 dollars on that gun.

I'm also not near the Mill. I am 2 miles from one good dealer that will give me a cash discount if he has what I want in stock, but most of the time he doesn't. So I buy online tax free, and he gets a 20 dollar transfer fee, so he's better than the Mill, as most of those guys upcharge for hard to get items.

I'm not driving 30 miles to the Mill, 60 miles to FS guns or whatever......

It really is funny how easily people are led by the government these days, the response to this stimuli is Pavlovian.
I agree......but if you need or are going to use something and its not on sale why not go buy it and save 6.25%.

Its the people that pass up a 20% sale, then go buy on tax free weekend that are silly.

I agree......but if you need or are going to use something and its not on sale why not go buy it and save 6.25%.

Its the people that pass up a 20% sale, then go buy on tax free weekend that are silly.
I have found some stores will have a sale on an item and then remove the sale for tax free weekend, then put the sale back on.

But I agree, if you pay attention and need it anyway, you could get a good deal on tax free weekend...but you do have to monitor the prices.

I have found some stores will have a sale on an item and then remove the sale for tax free weekend, then put the sale back on.

But I agree, if you pay attention and need it anyway, you could get a good deal on tax free weekend...but you do have to monitor the prices.

This is all very true.

But there are still some people who feel the need to criticize others for what they decide to do

That was kind of the intent of this post; to see what vendors would put on a sale IN ADDITION TO the sales tax holiday. I think I saw a couple step up here. Good for them!

It's getting harder and harder to find online shops that don't charge MA sales tax.
This...I actually paid a few times before I found a few. The good....their prices were even better than my go to one I was shopping at that started charging.

Don't bother with Puds, KY Gunco, Grabagun or the big online sellers...they suck anyway.....find the small family owed shops online.

Yeah, I hate saving money too.

It's getting harder and harder to find online shops that don't charge MA sales tax.

You can thank SCOTUS for this.

South Dakota vs Wayfair.

What’s that old Barnum & Bailey saying?
I dont have any skin in the game…

But another member above referenced taking advantage of the tax savings to buy $2500 in cabinets. Are you saying they are a sucker for doing that? Just trying to understand what’s wrong with due dilligence and smart shopping.

I dont have any skin in the game…

But another member above referenced taking advantage of the tax savings to buy $2500 in cabinets. Are you saying they are a sucker for doing that? Just trying to understand what’s wrong with due dilligence and smart shopping.
That’s a rare circumstance. If you need cabinets and can verify that the vendor didn’t increase prices for “tax-free” weekend, then yes, take advantage. Or just drive to NH where those savings could be realized year-round

But in most cases, especially with regard to guns, you can save 6.25% or more the other 363 days/yr by simply paying in cash or being a good customer.

As said above, it is also true that many vendors increase prices, or simply don’t have their normal sales, in preparation for the “perception of a deal” during sales tax weekend.

Hell, I’ve gotten 5%+ off even in big box stores just by asking.

The Mill was apparently packed - I’m sure guys were very excited to wait in line for $20 off a lower. In reality, Sharif has given me better deals than that after we agreed on a price just for making him laugh with a good joke and paying cash.

None of this even factors in the consumers that buy shit they don’t need because “6.25%!”. Or as my old lady would say: “it’s passing up free money if you don’t buy it!”

Back
Top Bottom