• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tax stamp / Suppressor wait times

Paper filings before the change to eFile seem to be taking well over one year. EFile seem to be taking 4-6 months. I’m also an April efiler and have a paper filing that is over a year now. The whole system is a joke. Why not just a simple NICS check (assuming anything at all - it’s just a dumb can with baffles).
Hey, they’re not dumb!!

That’s where they get you. quick to apply. not so quick for approval. and now a digitized registry.
WHAT actually happens between application and approval? Does someone MANUALLY check something? Where is the breakdown in the process? Doesn't it just check against NICS? Is there something else going on with the process? Could someone please post the steps taken in this process?

WHAT actually happens between application and approval? Does someone MANUALLY check something? Where is the breakdown in the process? Doesn't it just check against NICS? Is there something else going on with the process? Could someone please post the steps taken in this process?
Once you submit your form and mail your fingerprint cards the application goes into a very large pile of other applications.

Normally people would buy one item at a time but when eForms went live with a “goal” of 90 day approvals everyone went nuts. People were then buying 6+ items and submitting forms for each all at once.
This severely overloaded the system because ATF doesn’t give a crap and doesn’t hire or allocate more people to handle the workload.

While the form is waiting to be looked at it is in what’s know as “pending” phase where it was received and they cashed your $200 check.

That’s where it remains until it makes its way to the top of the pile where an examiner will start processing it.

If you filed as an individual they will do a background check on you. If you filed as a trust or entity then they will do a background check on the person who controls said trust or entity as well as any other responsible person listed on the trust or entity.
(Note that each responsible person need to submit fingerprints, photo and fill out the responsible person questionnaire).

Also, even though the ATF is processing the form, they do not have the access or authority to run the background check. They send it to the FBI to conduct and wait for the green light to proceed. Crazy huh.

The ATF will go through the trust or corp. documents and make sure it’s all on the up and up.

Once everything is done they will approve it and send the approved stamp in the appropriate manner.
- paper form get mailed to the dealer you bought from and then they will call you to pick it up along with your purchased item.
- Eform you will get a email with the approved stamp. Then you can go pick up your item from the dealer.

IF for some reason there is an issue with your application……
- If you’re lucky enough to have a nice examiner you or the dealer might get a friendly email about an issue that can be corrected by email and then get approved.
- if you get a bad examiner they could disapprove your application in which case you would need to start over from scratch. The good news is you will get a refund of your $200 but it could take up to two months to receive it.

The part that doesn’t make sense it that the forms are clearly kept in separate piles for the type of application.
A form 1 is currently around 3 months,
A form 4 paper is 12-15 months,
A form 4 e file is around 6 months,
A form 3 is around 3 weeks to 3 months (this is from dealer to dealer transfers),
A form 5 is around 2 months.

Normally people would buy one item at a time but when eForms went live with a “goal” of 90 day approvals everyone went nuts. People were then buying 6+ items and submitting forms for each all at once.
This severely overloaded the system because ATF doesn’t give a crap and doesn’t hire or allocate more people to handle the workload.

Before eFile power filings still took a year. There is no rational explanation for why it should take more than a few weeks at best. The whole system is a joke and just another reminder of the fact that everything .gov touches turns to complete inefficiency.

Anyone recently purchase a suppressor? Wondering how the wait times are. They were 12-16 months the last time hoping they have improved.
I just picked up my first device. I waited over a year. BUT, they did switch to a new system while I was waiting and I'm pretty sure the old applications got sidelined.

(2) Form 4 from Oct 2021 - 204 days to stamp in hand
(1) eFile Form 1 April 2022 - 7 days to stamp in hand
(1) eFile Form 1 August 2022 - 20 days and still waiting

Wait times can be terrible.. But eventually it’ll be done the bigger issue run into is dealing with a gunsmith to take years upon years to get the shit done that they promised your six months ago.. All while the laws in your state are constantly “evolving”. You buy something and then by the time it’s ready it’s Another legal nightmare

I’m not going to feed the beast with this because I’ve been waiting almost a year for my sbr to get built just to start the atf purgatory plus i’m still waiting for the can to get built so I can start the clock on that.

I’m not going to feed the beast with this because I’ve been waiting almost a year for my sbr to get built just to start the atf purgatory plus i’m still waiting for the can to get built so I can start the clock on that.
Usually what they do is start the paperwork for the receiver while it’s still being built. They just slap an upper on it, the FFL files the paperwork, then starts the transfer to you .. Then it’s configure the way you want before it’s physical transfered to you.

It depends on the type of firearm but there’s ways to shorten your time. Sometimes it’s more complicated.

I know the feeling that I’ve waited years for things to get built to then wait for paperwork..

Fortunately in my case they are just a semi auto hosts. That transfer like a standard firearm, then I just drop a sear in them

I bought 2 cans at the same time once - same store, same brand, just 556 and 762 models. The paperwork landed on two different reviewers’ desks and they were approved 3mo apart. Crazy…

I bought 2 cans at the same time once - same store, same brand, just 556 and 762 models. The paperwork landed on two different reviewers’ desks and they were approved 3mo apart. Crazy…
I guess that proves who keeps their head down working versus hanging around the coffee machine or goofing off with the phone.

It was even better in 2016 , I purchased two separate supressors around 05/2016 and got the call just a few weeks before christmas on 12/2016 talk about insanely giddy ..... those were my first bought NFA items .
Ever use silencer central? I have an NFA Trust but they seem to do a lot of the legwork.

Update.

Paper file took 14 months
E-file just cleared after 10 months
That's frigging ridiculous. The entire selling point of the e-forms was quick processing times. One year ago they had it reduced to 90-100 days, now it's back to almost a year.

Back
Top Bottom