• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Teaching 2A to our kids - a study in contrasts

I can't seem to find the winning essays online, but I'm assuming they are Anti-2ndA based on the former judge's comments:

"“The Second Amendment was never designed to say to a student that you can walk into a gun store in Virginia and buy a Glock,” said former Nantucket District Court Judge W. James O’Neill, who was on-island last week to award the Nantucket High School seniors checks in the amount of $1,000 and $500, respectively. Stephanie and Samantha gave a good analysis of the Second Amendment and the use of weapons so prolific in this country. No one in my generation has the courage to stand up to the powerful gun lobbies,” O’Neill continued. I challenge you children to have the courage to act on the wisdom shown in your essays,” added O’Neill during the presentation. “Semi-automatic handguns were never intended in the spirit of the amendment. We cannot tolerate the amount of violence generated by handguns.”

- and the comment on the MassBackwards blog:

"Many people here were upset about those essays when they came out in the local paper and many are not convinced that they were written solely by the students."

Evidently the teachers in some High Schools do not grasp the concept of what "the people" means. Saying that the second amendment does not apply to semi automatic handguns is like saying the first does not apply to speech typed on a computer. Neither existined at the time the respective amendments were drafted... I know, I know. I'm preaching to the choir.

I just found out my 10th grader is doing an essay on the Second Amendment. So far, I've told her to research Heller and MacDonald, some recent Supreme Court cases, and look at "individual rights". I've also told her that "suitability" is used in MA, and can be what ever they want it to be, even ... racism!

I have a ton of good quotes on another computer from Madison, Franklin, Washington, Adams, Jefferson, etc; but that computer is not accessible right now, and they need to be authenticated.

I think I told her to check out SAF.org, "truthaboutguns", and maybe some other sources. If anybody has some good resources of quotes and other information, that would be great. Thanks.

Wait till you show her a Form 4473 and look at question 10A and 10B.
Now ask her why she thinks we have firearm registration and what groups the govt. doesn't want to have them..
Atf_form_4473-firearms_transaction_record_5300_9revised_0.pdf.jpg

Wait till you show her a Form 4473 and look at question 10A and 10B.
Now ask her why she thinks we have firearm registration and what groups the govt. doesn't want to have them..
View attachment 262684
This is my new thing when discussing with people that are not knowledgeable about firearms, just show them and have them read the 4473. It’s a conversation piece to say the least

I just found out my 10th grader is doing an essay on the Second Amendment. So far, I've told her to research Heller and MacDonald, some recent Supreme Court cases, and look at "individual rights". I've also told her that "suitability" is used in MA, and can be what ever they want it to be, even ... racism!

I have a ton of good quotes on another computer from Madison, Franklin, Washington, Adams, Jefferson, etc; but that computer is not accessible right now, and they need to be authenticated.

I think I told her to check out SAF.org, "truthaboutguns", and maybe some other sources. If anybody has some good resources of quotes and other information, that would be great. Thanks.

I offered to take her class and her teacher to my club for some range time. She said not the entire class was doing the 2nd Amendment. I said it was still open to either/all. I'm sure I could get people at the club to help out, and hopefully a few from here on NES could come help too.

Maybe a couple schools could go in together, and do these around the state. Thoughts? Even better if Enbloc's ideas could be rolled in.

I offered to take her class and her teacher to my club for some range time. She said not the entire class was doing the 2nd Amendment. I said it was still open to either/all. I'm sure I could get people at the club to help out, and hopefully a few from here on NES could come help too.

Maybe a couple schools could go in together, and do these around the state. Thoughts? Even better if Enbloc's ideas could be rolled in.

No chance in hell that any individual school, school district, or state board of education allows a field trip to a gun range, especially in New England.

No more room for negative Nancy's. Sorry citoriguy, but feel free to sit this one out then.

No chance in hell that any individual school, school district, or state board of education allows a field trip to a gun range, especially in New England.

Well 20 years ago JROTC did just that. 30 years ago Boston Public Schools still had .22 rifle teams.

Edit: I forgot JROTC still has some air rifle teams including East Boston High School's, but those are getting increasingly rare.

If anyone ever takes you up on the offer, I will happily come help in any way I can.

If anyone ever takes you up on the offer, I will happily come help in any way I can.

Thanks. Even if it doesn't work out this time, or for me; we (NES) should have a "team" of people ready to go, who can help out in these sort of situations when and as the need arises. We need to be able to rally people quickly to fill certain roles for education, safety, public speaking, etc.

No more room for negative Nancy's. Sorry citoriguy, but feel free to sit this one out then.

The reality is that, at the elementary level at least, it ain't gonna happen. My kids' school was 1/4 mile away from the Eames Massacre site.

The Eames Massacre Monument

They could not go to see it, even though it was part of the local history, as they would have to cross two streets. [rolleyes]

That said, my two kids were both out of the Gun Safe, and had a standing offer to take any of their friends to the range (with parental approval).

You don't know our schools. The history teacher for this assignment has the 2nd memorized, according to her. They also have a fish & game club. All hope is not lost. They are pretty open.

Even so, this could be an after school thing, and not during school hours. My daughter already asked if it is legal to have a gun in college. She also asked if it is legal for her to shoot or to own a BB gun. I told her it is legal for her to shoot under my supervision, and the BB guns are not "guns", but they are mine for now, so not a worry.

The reality is that, at the elementary level at least, it ain't gonna happen. My kids' school was 1/4 mile away from the Eames Massacre site.

The Eames Massacre Monument

They could not go to see it, even though it was part of the local history, as they would have to cross two streets. [rolleyes]

That said, my two kids were both out of the Gun Safe, and had a standing offer to take any of their friends to the range (with parental approval).

Surprised they allow that monument to stand, what with the whole "we don't need self-help in Massachusetts" attitude that seems to be prevalent today. Seems wacist. Someone call Liawatha!

Evidently the teachers in some High Schools do not grasp the concept of what "the people" means. Saying that the second amendment does not apply to semi automatic handguns is like saying the first does not apply to speech typed on a computer. Neither existed at the time the respective amendments were drafted... I know, I know. I'm preaching to the choir.
It also shows a shocking lack of familiarity with an understanding of US vs. Verdugo-Urquidez

Back
Top Bottom