Technician class is useless...

With Nearfest coming up I was thinking about getting my ham license. I have an electrical background and the test seems pretty easy. I have an interest in doing PSK31 and other digital modes.

Looking at the band plans it seems that the 2 popular PSK frequencies on 20M & 40M are not available for Technician class it seems like 10M use is OK. Am I reading this right?

Honestly, I only have a passing interest in this. The technician class license seems like its a total waste of time. Rather disappointed, seems like few enough people are interested in ham radio...blocking access to bands for newbs seems counterproductive.

Thoughts? Maybe I am missing something?

No, it's not, as it's full privs at 50 mhz and above. Tech is crippling if you want (legal) HF access, though.

Let's put it this way though, the whole thing is EZ mode now because they removed the bogus CW requirement. If you study enough you can take all the tests in one sitting. Back in the day a friend of mine went from nothing to extra in an evening.

I think eventually because radio is a dying art (sadly) they're going to kill off general class though and move to a two license system. There's really no point to having 3.

-Mike

I got tech and general in the same day as did a couple other folks in the room. Print out the question pool, highlight the correct answers and memorize. Ignore the wrong answers and this is a very simple process. I made every effort to learn as much as I could, but ultimately some just come down to memorization. Questions about band privileges seem asinine to me when you can have a printout of the band plan in front of you while operating. You can do the rest of your learning as you go.

I just took a practice exam for General class and missed it by 5 questions. Honestly, these questions just piss me off. I learn by doing stuff not cramming facts into my brain...that are likely to fall out 10 min after the test is over.

Digital comms over long distances on low power is where my interests lie. Maybe I'll spend an hour studying and see if I can pull off a general class pass.

I have no receivers that go past 30mhz....are there active PSK31 (and other digital stuff) over 50mhz?

I just took a practice exam for General class and missed it by 5 questions. Honestly, these questions just piss me off. I learn by doing stuff not cramming facts into my brain...that are likely to fall out 10 min after the test is over.

Digital comms over long distances on low power is where my interests lie. Maybe I'll spend an hour studying and see if I can pull off a general class pass.

Don't study anything. Just keep taking generated tests long enough until you consistently stop failing. Even if you do it here and there eventually you'll have the pool down pat and pretty much memorize it. You're not trying to learn anything, just pass the stupid test. After you get your license is when you actually learn things.

So will I get a promotion?

No, but you'd probably get grandfathered in like Advanced class did in 2000. (those licenses can still be renewed with same privs, etc. ) I'm just being hypothetical here though... radio politics moves like a glacier, so I doubt its going to happen anytime soon.

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

I got tech and general in the same day as did a couple other folks in the room. Print out the question pool, highlight the correct answers and memorize. Ignore the wrong answers and this is a very simple process. I made every effort to learn as much as I could, but ultimately some just come down to memorization. Questions about band privileges seem asinine to me when you can have a printout of the band plan in front of you while operating. You can do the rest of your learning as you go.

Most of the test is crap and stuff you'll rarely think about. I really think it just exists as an idiot filter to reduce the number of idiots that get on the air.

-Mike

What DrGrant says.
Every evening grind through several practice tests. When you're consistently passing, go take the test. If you keep passing, it cost nothing to take the General and Extra. If you fail by a tiny bit you can pay the FCC's $15 again and re-take the test right then. They'll give you a different, and hopefully more favorable, set of questions.

And, you actually do learn some useful stuff by memorizing the correct answers. Just be sure you know the rules and operating procedures so you stay out of trouble and don't piss people off.

Digital modes are used at all frequencies, from 160meters, to Dx on the mid-bands to moon bounce on 2m, 70cm and shorter bands. Do get the General. It opens up all the bands to you.

I have an Advanced class license and I never got grandfathered to Extra. Advanced class gives you about 95% of the operating frequencies, so why bother. They will renew my license as is. Extra used to be 20 wpm, below that was General and Advanced and the code was 13 wpm. Novice and Technician license were 5 wpm. Ah yes, the good old days.

I have an Advanced class license and I never got grandfathered to Extra. Advanced class gives you about 95% of the operating frequencies, so why bother. They will renew my license as is. Extra used to be 20 wpm, below that was General and Advanced and the code was 13 wpm. Novice and Technician license were 5 wpm. Ah yes, the good old days.

Same here and the same reason I don't upgrade to extra. I passed the Extra class written test years ago when you had to take the test in Boston but I failed the code test...18wpm was about the absolute max I could copy...so...I'm sure I could pass the written again if I studied up a bit but there's really nothing in the extra portion that isn't already in all the other freqs I can operate on...

A friend of mine has had his Advanced for about 40 years. He's a really good electrical engineer and a great radio operator but he said he just couldn't get past "the code barrier." After hearing his story I agreed with dropping the Morse requirement.

Well, do you want to operate PSK on HF or not? Study for the General Class exam and earn your license. This isn't like spending $50 on a fishing license. Can they make it any easier to get a ham license these days or what? No Morse code test, no drawing diagrams, easier technical exams -- what more do you want?

[banghead]

Crap, I knew we had a few hams here, but more just keep coming out of the woodwork. About 4 years ago a bunch were trying to arrange Field Day at a gun club. That could actually work with this many people. It could be fun. We could practice copying Morse code with a semi-auto. Could probably get 2 or 3 words from a 30 round mag.

Crap, I knew we had a few hams here, but more just keep coming out of the woodwork. About 4 years ago a bunch were trying to arrange Field Day at a gun club. That could actually work with this many people. It could be fun. We could practice copying Morse code with a semi-auto. Could probably get 2 or 3 words from a 30 round mag.

The Westford ham club holds field day at Concord Rod and Gun.

Would you need different calibers for dots and dashes? Ideally FA would let you simulate a dash, but for those of us who have never shot FA before it might just be one long dash.

Every time I hear about a Field Day I have no idea what that means. In my mind it's a bunch of hams setting up tents and portable rigs in the same area. You can't be contacting each other, so what makes it special? Or is it more of a social event?

Would you need different calibers for dots and dashes? Ideally FA would let you simulate a dash, but for those of us who have never shot FA before it might just be one long dash.

Every time I hear about a Field Day I have no idea what that means. In my mind it's a bunch of hams setting up tents and portable rigs in the same area. You can't be contacting each other, so what makes it special? Or is it more of a social event?
On Field Day we make as many contacts as possible, operating outdoors and off the grid. Extra points for doing it with non-put-put power, having non-hams make the contact, setting up in a publicly accessable place, satellite contact, QRP contact, etc. Some clubs go nuts for the points and have their stations manned around the clock. The Gloucester club is more about the fun and food. They take the planning and setup serious, but don't get grumpy about not optimizing the point count or letting a station go unused for a while. It all depends on what you want to do. I've seen people set up a tent in their back yard and work off the picnic table with a car battery all day.

One of the best things a new ham can do is get with a club or group of hams and do Field Day. You'll learn a TON and will always remember sitting there under the shelter, late in the cool evening calling "CQ Field Day".

Last edited:
Here is a sampling of some questions on a ham test:

Which of the following is a requirement for administering a Technician Class operator examination?
A. At least two VEC accredited General Class or higher VEs must be present
B. At least three VEC accredited General Class or higher VEs must be present
C. At least three VEs of Technician Class or higher must be present
D. At least two General Class or higher VEs must be present, but only one need be VEC accredited

Gee I was thinking about going out and giving ham radio tests....good thing I had to learn about this before getting a license. I would have been too stupid to look it up before giving other people tests.

What is one disadvantage of an incandescent indicator compared to an LED?
A. High power consumption
B. Long life
C. High speed
D. Low power consumption

Because its super important to know about light bulbs these days. If I asked this question to most normal people they would get it right. Why is it on the test for a fairly advanced ham radio license?

What is the purpose of a gamma match used with Yagi antennas?
A. To increase the front to back ratio
B. To match the relatively low feed-point impedance to 50 ohms
C. To increase the main lobe gain
D. To match the relatively high feed-point impedance to 50 ohms

Just in case the light bulb question was too easy here's a tougher one!

Which of the following are objectives of the Amateur Auxiliary?
A. To conduct efficient and orderly amateur licensing examinations
B. To coordinate repeaters for efficient and orderly spectrum usage
C. To provide emergency and public safety communications
D. To encourage amateur self regulation and compliance with the rules

Why do I care about this? Because hams have their very own police force to gather evidence for the FCC! Statists!

There is little reason to know half the stuff being asked on these tests. A newbie is likely going to be buying manufactured equipment and does not care about the electronics, they just want to get online. Where people have interest they will learn all about that area of interest.

Good news is that the first General exam I took had a disproportionate number of tough questions. As I run thru the flashcards the questions are not that bad other than the obscure "Amateur Auxiliary" crap.

Well, do you want to operate PSK on HF or not? Study for the General Class exam and earn your license. This isn't like spending $50 on a fishing license. Can they make it any easier to get a ham license these days or what? No Morse code test, no drawing diagrams, easier technical exams -- what more do you want?

[banghead]

I think it's like Mike said; to make a barrier for entry for the idiots. If the test requires that you study for any amount of time, it will rule out a high percentage of dummies. A few practice exams a day and/or memorizing the questions and you should be able to pass the test no problem. You will still have no idea what you're doing but you'll have a basic understanding so you'll know how to ask questions or at least understand what people are saying when they answer your questions.

To answer one of the original questions, there are people out there who use VHF bands for PSK. Hell, I guess I never thought about it but it would let me test out my setup before I climb trees and install my HF antenna. Off to the interwebs...

...Honestly, I only have a passing interest in this. The technician class license seems like its a total waste of time. Rather disappointed, seems like few enough people are interested in ham radio...blocking access to bands for newbs seems counterproductive.

Becoming an amateur radio operator is voluntary. They have a set of rules and regulations. If you do not like the rules and regulations associated with obtaining your license, then it is your choice to not participate. Nobody really cares.

A friend of mine has had his Advanced for about 40 years. He's a really good electrical engineer and a great radio operator but he said he just couldn't get past "the code barrier." After hearing his story I agreed with dropping the Morse requirement.

Holy Crap! I just realized I've had my advanced class license for 30 years....where does the time go?

Last edited:
Here is a sampling of some questions on a ham test:

Which of the following is a requirement for administering a Technician Class operator examination?
A. At least two VEC accredited General Class or higher VEs must be present
B. At least three VEC accredited General Class or higher VEs must be present
C. At least three VEs of Technician Class or higher must be present
D. At least two General Class or higher VEs must be present, but only one need be VEC accredited

Gee I was thinking about going out and giving ham radio tests....good thing I had to learn about this before getting a license. I would have been too stupid to look it up before giving other people tests.

What is one disadvantage of an incandescent indicator compared to an LED?
A. High power consumption
B. Long life
C. High speed
D. Low power consumption

Because its super important to know about light bulbs these days. If I asked this question to most normal people they would get it right. Why is it on the test for a fairly advanced ham radio license?

What is the purpose of a gamma match used with Yagi antennas?
A. To increase the front to back ratio
B. To match the relatively low feed-point impedance to 50 ohms
C. To increase the main lobe gain
D. To match the relatively high feed-point impedance to 50 ohms

Just in case the light bulb question was too easy here's a tougher one!

Which of the following are objectives of the Amateur Auxiliary?
A. To conduct efficient and orderly amateur licensing examinations
B. To coordinate repeaters for efficient and orderly spectrum usage
C. To provide emergency and public safety communications
D. To encourage amateur self regulation and compliance with the rules

Why do I care about this? Because hams have their very own police force to gather evidence for the FCC! Statists!

There is little reason to know half the stuff being asked on these tests. A newbie is likely going to be buying manufactured equipment and does not care about the electronics, they just want to get online. Where people have interest they will learn all about that area of interest.

Good news is that the first General exam I took had a disproportionate number of tough questions. As I run thru the flashcards the questions are not that bad other than the obscure "Amateur Auxiliary" crap.

If you just kept taking practice tests instead of analyzing the questions, you'd be done by now. Don't go looking for any rhyme or reason in the
test, about 5% of it is useful the rest of it is crap you'll never think about ever again.

-Mike

I've been a tech since 1993 and actually have been pretty active in the VHF / UHF world all along, with a little 10 and 6 meter use as well. I have been studying on and off for a year, maybe more, with every intention of upgrading to General "one of these days." So, I took what drgrant and cockpitbob said a few weeks ago to heart, banged out a minimum of three sample tests a day for about a week straight, and I sat for the General this past Saturday morning at Nearfest in Deerfield, NH, and passed. Yes, I'm guilty of studying to the test rather than learning the material, but having been at it for so many years I'm pretty well versed in how amateur radio works anyways and I'm looking forward to getting my feet wet on the HF bands.

Never made it to the flea market...maybe next time.

If you just kept taking practice tests instead of analyzing the questions, you'd be done by now. Don't go looking for any rhyme or reason in the
test, about 5% of it is useful the rest of it is crap you'll never think about ever again.

-Mike

Evtide, congratulations on the upgrade. You can start transmitting on the General bands today. Just end your call sign with "AG" (authorized general).

Again, don't worry about the theory too much. It will come with time. Just know the rules and procedures enough to stay out of trouble. Now, go get on the air! [grin]

So will I get a promotion?

Lots of people kept their Advanced because it proves they passed the 13wpm code. I got in to radio after they already lowered extra to 5WPM. I missed the general by 3 questions at my first test and went all the way to extra a few months later.

If the test requires that you study for any amount of time, it will rule out a high percentage of dummies.
i think "dummies" is inaccurate in that it takes multiple traits such as interest, willingness & capability to cram for & pass the exam. i'd say for most people capability (smarts, intelligence, etc) is the least significant trait for not going thru the process. it's unfair to criticize them on their capability by calling them dummies.

in fact by stating that after passing the exam
You will still have no idea what you're doing but you'll have a basic understanding
proves that you're not practically any smarter for passing the exam.

i understand what you were trying to say, in that the examination process weeds out a group of people. i just don't think that "dummies" is an accurate definition for the group.

By dummies I meant people who, if given a license just for asking would get on the air and act like buffoons. By requiring a non-zero effort to acquire a license most "dummies" won't bother. I mean in no way that anyone is too dumb to learn given a willingness to learn and/or try.

This message brought to you by the letter T and the number 9.

Back
Top Bottom