Technician exam

Passed my Technician Exam today. Took the exam at the ARRL HQ in Newington CT. An interesting place to visit. Now I am studying for an upgrade to General Class. As a new guy to this hobby, I must admit it is an exciting one to say the least. I just wonder if it will be as expensive as the shooting hobby???

It depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.

Much like shooting, you can be the one radio does all guy, or have a bunch and a bunch of antennas, stuff to tinker on, and so on.

All depends on how much time and money you want to invest.

Congrats.

Realistically, any hobby in this day and age is going to cost a chunk of change. Its just how things are in this modern gadget oriented world we live in.

I think I spent about $2500. 00 to set up my first HF and VHF station using an icom 7300 & Kenwood TM-V71.
That being said you still can do a respectable HF and VHF station set up for under $1K by shopping around and getting some good quality used gear.

Congratulations!

Cost depends on how much you want to invest in the hobby. I'd say join a local club, talk to the guys & gals and maybe join a Ham forum and take some time to learn about the hobby. Much like Firearms it's easy to make a purchase and regret it later the only difference is it's not too difficult to sell a gun and get close to what you paid for it; a ham radio on the other hand, if you buy one and find you don't like it you'll find it hard to get back what you paid.

It's a fun hobby and it can be rewarding! Good Luck!

I had my license 3 days after I took the exam. Perhaps the fact I took the exam at ARRL HQ had something to do with it?

Last edited:
It depends on how much you want to spend all of the modern hand held radios in VHF, UHF and some with digital capabilities can be used by a tech lic. opperator . Price can range from $25.00 -$800.00 for a new hand held

Back
Top Bottom