• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ted Williams 4x Scope

So I found a Ted Williams scope that was my late dads and I knew nothing about it. Did a little research and learned it was 4x Weaver off of a 1960s .22. I have a 10/22 takedown with a backpacker stock and forgot it came with a small Picatinny rail for a sight. So the ring hardware and mounting hardware were a little crusty, but no too bad. Thought it would be a long shot to try it on the Picatinny but the dove tails looked pretty similar except for the moveable side on the scope rings had some teeth. Put it on, may be cocked a little bit but it’s sturdy and doesn’t move. I don’t plan on taking it off to use the iron sights. I’ve been trying to figure out if It should be secured better or what. I haven’t sighted it in yet and haven’t even cleaned it properly. Just did it on a whim. Anybody have any info or experience with these Scopes? I’m a prototype machinist and I’m trying to figure out if I should make a mount for the Ruger receiver that will accept these rings to make a better fit or not. Any info would be great.

Attachments

• A55D9BCF-F579-4308-8050-0F038794167F.jpeg
    A55D9BCF-F579-4308-8050-0F038794167F.jpeg
    471.7 KB · Views: 6
The 22 I got from my grandfather is also the Ted William's model with scope. Purchased from Sears catalog some time in the 60s. Probably hasn't been touched since the seventies, until I got it two years ago. He used it to shoot out his bathroom window to scare squirrels off the bird feeder. I shoot it monthly (at least). Well sighted, easily my most accurate 22.

On another note, he also had a Ted William's boat and trolling motor. Also bought from sears catalog. Seems splendid splinter wasnt averse to putting his name on things.

I grew up with those 5/8s 4x and 6x....nostalgia aside. dont wast your time. its not sealed so it will fog up on you. It might even have actual crosshairs that will break as im sure they are old and brittle by now. You might be lucky and its young enough to have the wire style reticle.

Check the mounts that rectangle end piece that floats around might have 2 different knife edge angles one for 3/8 the other for 11mm if it has the 2 different angles it will grab one way better than the other.

I grew up with those 5/8s 4x and 6x....nostalgia aside. dont wast your time. its not sealed so it will fog up on you. It might even have actual crosshairs that will break as im sure they are old and brittle by now. You might be lucky and its young enough to have the wire style reticle.

Check the mounts that rectangle end piece that floats around might have 2 different knife edge angles one for 3/8 the other for 11mm if it has the 2 different angles it will grab one way better than the other.

its definitely a little fogged up. I don’t know how it was stored other than in this fabric sack with other gun parts. Is there any way to know if I have the wire style or not? It doesn’t look broken at all. It still looks pretty crisp aside from the little bit of fog on the lense. I still need to try to clean them a little bit so that fog may not even be the lense itself and just dust and dirt.

I will definitely check them out. That would be really cool. Very very good information. I really appreciate it.

Anything out of the ordinary as far as sighting in? I haven’t tried turning any of the nobs until I can sit down and give it some time. I read older scopes can be a pain to get sighted in because the inner tube won’t move until the recoil from the first shot jars it loose. Any trouble you can remember with these?

If that does happen, I’m sure its just making small adjustments and take a couple shots to verify. Nothing I wouldn’t normally do anyways. Is there a point though where you’ll end up chasing your tail and you need to be satisfied with how it sits or are they really accurate?

The 22 I got from my grandfather is also the Ted William's model with scope. Purchased from Sears catalog some time in the 60s. Probably hasn't been touched since the seventies, until I got it two years ago. He used it to shoot out his bathroom window to scare squirrels off the bird feeder. I shoot it monthly (at least). Well sighted, easily my most accurate 22.

On another note, he also had a Ted William's boat and trolling motor. Also bought from sears catalog. Seems splendid splinter wasnt averse to putting his name on things.

These are the stories I like to hear. I also found a Weaver Quik Point that looks like something from outer space. I’m pretty sure it’s an R-1. The reticle is fiber optic and looks like a red smudge when looking through it. Regardless, this thing is retro as hell and I wanna throw it on something to see what it can do lol

Attachments

• D18BEDC4-5199-44E9-9237-3BCDBBEF0F03.jpeg
    D18BEDC4-5199-44E9-9237-3BCDBBEF0F03.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 1
These are the stories I like to hear. I also found a Weaver Quik Point that looks like something from outer space. I’m pretty sure it’s an R-1. The reticle is fiber optic and looks like a red smudge when looking through it. Regardless, this thing is retro as hell and I wanna throw it on something to see what it can do lol
thats almost as old as a Grubb Reflector sight...

its definitely a little fogged up. I don’t know how it was stored other than in this fabric sack with other gun parts. Is there any way to know if I have the wire style or not? It doesn’t look broken at all. It still looks pretty crisp aside from the little bit of fog on the lense. I still need to try to clean them a little bit so that fog may not even be the lense itself and just dust and dirt.

I will definitely check them out. That would be really cool. Very very good information. I really appreciate it.

Anything out of the ordinary as far as sighting in? I haven’t tried turning any of the nobs until I can sit down and give it some time. I read older scopes can be a pain to get sighted in because the inner tube won’t move until the recoil from the first shot jars it loose. Any trouble you can remember with these?

If that does happen, I’m sure its just making small adjustments and take a couple shots to verify. Nothing I wouldn’t normally do anyways. Is there a point though where you’ll end up chasing your tail and you need to be satisfied with how it sits or are they really accurate?
yes you will have all those fun problems,,,,,turn turn no movement then pop, turn back and it jumps past where you want to go..lots of fun
Mount it shoot it and have fun. If it works for you god bless. If not mount it on a period correct 22 and hang it up.
Good thing its a old weaver so it should not be so bad. Now if it was a post Japan Tasco...maybe I would just toss it.

Back
Top Bottom