Tenn. bill would allow use of deadly force to protect property

mikeyp

NES Member
Meanwhile, in the free world...

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT/WTVF) - A new bill proposed by Tennessee lawmakers would expand the use of deadly force in the state.

The bill was introduced in the statehouse Tuesday by Representative Jay Reedy (R- Erin). It says that anyone who uses deadly force against someone to protect property would no longer be charged with a felony.

Currently, the use of deadly force is only allowed when someone is in fear for their life.

John Harris, executive director of the Tennessee Firearms Association told WTVF he believes the bill is a necessary step after issues with looting in 2020.

“The question is does the criminal just laugh at them and keep stealing stuff? At some point, juries will say you have the right to defend it and I don’t care what the law says,” Harris said.

If HB0011 passes in the next legislative session, it would take effect in July 2021.

Nice.

Cue the "but police shouldn't shoot attacking, let alone fleeing, thieves" folks in 3...2...1...

Soon I will be leaving this state (1-5 years) and TN is on my short list.
Been to Tennessee.. nice place, friendly folk, but.. before you put your deposit down on a home, make sure you visit the state several times...it's absolutely, positively brutally humid as a FotherMucker at certain times of the year.

Just sayin'

Meanwhile, in the free world...

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT/WTVF) - A new bill proposed by Tennessee lawmakers would expand the use of deadly force in the state.

The bill was introduced in the statehouse Tuesday by Representative Jay Reedy (R- Erin). It says that anyone who uses deadly force against someone to protect property would no longer be charged with a felony.

Currently, the use of deadly force is only allowed when someone is in fear for their life.

John Harris, executive director of the Tennessee Firearms Association told WTVF he believes the bill is a necessary step after issues with looting in 2020.

“The question is does the criminal just laugh at them and keep stealing stuff? At some point, juries will say you have the right to defend it and I don’t care what the law says,” Harris said.

If HB0011 passes in the next legislative session, it would take effect in July 2021.

Good. Thieves should be shot on sight. For that piece of personal property, an individual gives up minutes/hours/days/years of his life to purchase that article; he shed his blood, sweat and tears for the ability to afford himself said property. Those minutes/hours/days/years of his life, he will never regain or be refunded. By stealing that property, you are stealing his life and the basic act of self defense of one's life should be in play here.

Been to Tennessee.. nice place, friendly folk, but.. before you put your deposit down on a home, make sure you visit the state several times...it's absolutely, positively brutally humid as a FotherMucker at certain times of the year.

Just sayin'

I am no fan of high heat and humidity but I hate the snow worse. I have friends in the area and would spend some time there before I made a large purchase such as a home. My second choice is Florida but the heat in the summer there is just as bad. If I could afford it I would keep a small place in New England and a home for the rest of the year somewhere south but I am not that financially well off. thanks for the friendly advice though.

Back
Top Bottom