• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tense Situation

The first thing you should have done was to put your phone on record,so if you had to bust a cap into someone you would have proof that your life was in danger.You should always carry pepper spray because sometimes that will be all you need to stop the aggression,and in other cases it will give you the time to retreat,or draw you firearm and take a stand.Always carry yourself like you don't have a gun be ready to run away then to fight,remember one thing the moment you pull that trigger your life is going to be in a world of all f^*ked up.

Next time rip your shirt off and yell "I have a gun" at the top of your lungs. Better yet, go get CCW tattooed somewhere visible so everyone knows not to mess with you.

I guess I'm lucky, no woman hit on me on the T in the last 20 years....

Riding the T after evening sports events is the most dangerous time, in our experience.

Two of our kids ride the T to or from school every day and have for six years. Never have problems. Yesterday my son gets on the train and is confronted by a drunk 5'6 dude. He defused the situation admirably.

Last edited:
That is well documented.

This is a "what if " dream in his head story.

So what would you have done in all seriousness in my situation? I am a fairly new LTC so of course I want to abide by the law and don't want to be sent to prison over some drunken idiots. I simply posted on this forum to get advice from people who have possibly have been to a similar situation as me and are much more experienced so I can know how to act appropriately if god forbid a similar situation would occur. Is there anything wrong with that? Just because you didn't see it with your eyes doesn't mean its fake, you obviously don't ride the T almost everyday as I do. Like I said I want to be a responsible LTC holder, were there mistakes I made? Of course without a doubt. I see nothing wrong with talking about my experience in order for me to be more educated on the topic so I can act appropriately in the future if the situation unfortunately ever arises.

See: Concealed is concealed.

The person who gave you the safety course you were required to take recently should have impressed upon you the gravity and repercussions of ever threatening someone with a gun.

Also look up assault under Mass law.

Looking back into it your are absolutely right. I am a young guy and I let ego get the better of me at that point, incredibly stupid of me.

Yes, you have an excuse being from a free state but here in The People's Republik of Commiechusetts it's far better to take a little abuse than to deal with the legal consequences of showing/using a weapon.

So let them think they won, apologize and move on, if you can.

....and work on your land whale game. You can throw them off without pissing them off. Tell them you would if your boyfriend wasn't a jealous maniac.

Your goal in all these situations should be to walk away without the need for any police, fire or ambulance. Whether or not you carry a gun...

Don't let idiots goad you into doing something you'll regret for a long time. When you do so you're actually giving them control of your emotions. Do you really want to allow some drunken trailer trash to push your buttons?

It just ain't worth it...

Last edited:
So over the weekend I was taking the T going home alone from watching the Superbowl with some friends in Boston.

Did you pay your fare via cash,
or a Charlie Card that can be traced back to your bank account?

However, most of your 'what if questions' could be answered by putting away your phone.

I'm insulated from that dangerous habit by a 6-yo Android that eats batteries like Pringles. Ain't got the milliwatts to idly use the Intarwebs or listen to music around town.

OTOH, I'm most likely found in the very front end of the lead car,
in case there's something interesting out the railfan window.
So I probably won't even see my assailant(s) until they stab me in the back [angry],
and I'm backed into a corner even if I know something's going on.

(Although a corner makes for good feng shui if you have to fight instead of fleeing).

Don't look at your phone? Maybe the OP was checking when his next train arrives or reading a text from a sick relative. We have no idea.

Personally, I could get a news flash that JFK was killed by a Jumbo Jet while brunching at Windows on the World after ordering Apollo 11 to drop the A-bomb on Hiroshima, and it still wouldn't be as important as avoiding a beatdown by four drunks and their skank sister on the Red Line.

... carry some pepper spray ...

(As I thought I wrote elsewhere on NES), pepper spray is the least-lethal thing I carry,
and I pray that I remember that I have it with me if it ever is a viable starting option.

I'm old enough now that it doesn't bother me to deescalate, disengage and retreat. I have no ego in it any more.

Folks at NES GTGs should ask me for my Cinco de Mayo story.

Was she hot?

818DMHU0ziL.jpg

sounds like these guys were setting you up for a beat down and robbing.

Props; to quote Arte Johnson, "very interesting".

2.) My preferred method: fire a warning shot. That usually calms everyone down and you can get on with more rational conversation.

BTW, thank you for your service to our nation, Mr. Vice President.

Better yet, go get CCW tattooed somewhere visible so everyone knows not to mess with you.

Technical question:
if instead you get "CCW" tattooed on your forehead just below your hairline,
and you warn your assailants by lifting your bangs,
is that "brandishing" or "a brush-back"?

Asking for a friend.

I am a fairly new LTC so of course I want to abide by the law and don't want to be sent to prison over some drunken idiots.

Here's some artwork that may help you internalize the cost/benefit ratio of pulling a gun in Mass:
chase-10000.jpg

If you clear leather in-state,
you're gonna need about ten of those to avoid
a conviction and lifetime nationwide loss of gun rights.
If you were totally righteous, that is.

If the situation was nebulous,
that's just a down-payment on your legal fees.

(Defending against the civil suit will cost more).
=====
Watch the Old Hands come out of the woodwork now and say,
"I know a guy who knows a guy that was totally cleared for only $50K".

Folks at NES GTGs should ask me for my Cinco de Mayo story.

What's your Cinco de Mayo story?

I have a tiny little story that's somewhat relevant. Probably belongs in the Florida thread. Anyway...

I was coming out of an airport bathroom in Orlando a couple of weeks ago. There were several people standing around and I got channeled into a narrow gap as I was coming around the corner. I wound up face to face with a dude trying to go into the bathroom. His first words to me were "out of my way, a$$hole."

That was enough to make me stand my ground and look him straight in the eye. I didn't say anything. He followed up with "I'm going to f-word pound your face, etc., etc." and then he chest bumped me, lol.

It did cross my mind to hook a foot behind his legs and give him a leetle push but I thought about my vacation and about "two idiots fighting," so instead I stepped to the right and walked off with him yelling curses at me.

I think the fact I wasn't properly intimidated pi$$ed him off because he came out of the bathroom and walked over to me again yelling that I had just assaulted him and he was going to get the police. I stood my ground again and he veered off. He reappeared twice more as I left the terminal, once giving me the finger and yelling and a second time with his phone, videoing me and yelling he was going to make me a YouTube star.

I don't know why these things happen to me.

Last edited:
Take a knee, and apologize. Aiming upward will lessen the odds of a round striking an unintended target.

"You don't look too bad. Here's another." - Bernhard Goetz

I've ridden the T for decades with and without a gun. Never had an issue. I've fallen asleep on the commuter rail and woke up in Rhode Island. No issues except I had to buy another ticket to get back to my stop.

I think if you have to come on here and ask what to do in a particular situation and then inquire about exposing the gun to de-escalate the situation then you need to take a few more classes.

Probably not a bad idea to take some self defense classes and learn to defend yourself without a weapon.

Last edited:
Take a knee, and apologize. Aiming upward will lessen the odds of a round striking an unintended target.

"You don't look too bad. Here's another." - Bernhard Goetz

If you're going that route, just be sure you're a sympathetic figure with the right ethnic name and can afford to hire Barry Slotnick (and to stack the jury.)

Last edited:
So had you brandished your weapon, mentioning that there's other people on the train definitely would've spooked someone and it would've been your face in pavement " man with gun on train." Other people besides drunks is good. If you didn't take out your phone another person may have.

Walk away not turning your back, stating leave me alone loudly for onlookers to all hear. In your weak hand yea your phone would've been helpful because it's a small world and everyone knows everyone especially with social media. Or to dial 911.

Sounds like it worked out with the T worker there anyways. Create distance. Classes would definitely be helpful if it came to hands on. Could've been worse. Chalk it up as a win?

What a bunch of biddies. There are cameras and cops all over the T. Thousands of school kids ride it every day.

So what would you have done in all seriousness in my situation? I am a fairly new LTC so of course I want to abide by the law and don't want to be sent to prison over some drunken idiots. I simply posted on this forum to get advice from people who have possibly have been to a similar situation as me and are much more experienced so I can know how to act appropriately if god forbid a similar situation would occur. Is there anything wrong with that? Just because you didn't see it with your eyes doesn't mean its fake, you obviously don't ride the T almost everyday as I do. Like I said I want to be a responsible LTC holder, were there mistakes I made? Of course without a doubt. I see nothing wrong with talking about my experience in order for me to be more educated on the topic so I can act appropriately in the future if the situation unfortunately ever arises.

• Don’t ride the T after sports events, it’s full of drunk Suburbanites. And drunk Bostonians.
  • Sit or stand near a door on the side that opens at the next stop. You can always bail onto the platform.
  • Carry pepper spray so you have other options. They can be easily and stealthily deployed. Though a railway car is not a fun place to use it.
  • Put down the damned phone and pay attention.
  • Rehearse things to say that will help defuse the situation. My son says, “I’m not looking for any trouble,” and that works just about every time.
  • Stand near MBTA employees or someone who looks like they can and will defuse the situation.

Last edited:
I'm old enough now that it doesn't bother me to deescalate, disengage and retreat. I have no ego in it any more.
Exactly. Next time, don't grab her hand. Just say, I'm very flattered but spoken for already. Apologize to the brother and say you didn't mean to insult his sister. People can be disarmed very easily by "sorry, my bad". You don't have to mean it, but say it sincerely.

• Rehearse things to say that will help defuse the situation. My son says, “I’m not looking for any trouble,” and that works just about every time.
Exactly. Next time, don't grab her hand. Just say, I'm very flattered but spoken for already. Apologize to the brother and say you didn't mean to insult his sister. People can be disarmed very easily by "sorry, my bad". You don't have to mean it, but say it sincerely.
I went a different route. I was riding my mule on the T when these three guys started making fun of him after he rejected their drunk sister's advances. So, I said to them:

“I don’t think it’s nice, you laughing. You see, my mule don’t like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you’re laughing at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you’re going to, I might convince him that you really didn’t mean it.”
upload_2019-2-6_15-53-5.jpeg

It was a great way to de-escalate, and only took four coffins.

https://www.amazon.com/Law-Self-Defense-3rd-ebook/dp/B01F9FAJBA

Should have just taken the BJ and called it a night! Seriously though, a lot of these responses make me wonder why people carry in the first place. Lot of fear of defending oneself. I wouldn’t have brandished, but I’m also not taking a beating when I have the ability to defend myself.

Back
Top Bottom