• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Terrorist paper targets are illegal?

Broc

NES Member
I was at the range this past weekend, and I stopped by the gun store and picked up some targets. They had some of these: photo.jpg

After 3 hrs of shooting, the range master walks up to me, and this is how the conversation went. (I will call him RM, and me BI)

RM: "hey, whats up?"
BI:"hows it going?"
RM:"you know, you cant shoot at those targets"
BI:"according to the club regulations, as long as they are not pictures of actual people, like: girlfriend, boss, ex wife...., then we are fine"
RM"its not about the range regulations, you are fine there, its about state law"
BI:"what state law?"
RM:"its illegal to shoot at human shaped targets, its a state law"
BI: "is that why they sell zombie, terrorist and silhouette targets at almost every gun store?'
RM: "looks, its illegal"
BI: "ok, I will take them down..."
RM"...no, thats fine, finish shooting, but dont use them again"
BI: "Ok, I will keep breaking the law for a few more hours"

So, wtf? was he right and I was just being a d**k, or was he just being a d**k?

It has something to do with licensing and clubs, the targets are not illegal, but it is illegal to use them in a couple of clubs in MA.

A state law? Never heard that one. Sounds like another fudd. [rolleyes] I have only heard like you did, that they can't look like people like your wife or kids or something. Anything else goes.

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131

The colonel of state police may, after an investigation, grant a Class A license to a club or facility with an on-site shooting range or gallery, which club is incorporated under the laws of the commonwealth for the possession, storage and use of large capacity weapons, ammunition therefor and large capacity feeding devices for use with such weapons on the premises of such club; provided, however, that not less than one shareholder of such club shall be qualified and suitable to be issued such license; and provided further, that such large capacity weapons and ammunition feeding devices may be used under such Class A club license only by such members that possess a valid firearm identification card issued under section 129B or a valid Class A or Class B license to carry firearms, or by such other persons that the club permits while under the direct supervision of a certified firearms safety instructor or club member who, in the case of a large capacity firearm, possesses a valid Class A license to carry firearms or, in the case of a large capacity rifle or shotgun, possesses a valid Class A or Class B license to carry firearms. Such club shall not permit shooting at targets that depict human figures, human effigies, human silhouettes or any human images thereof, except by public safety personnel performing in line with their official duties.

Last edited:
Are you at the one club in MA that has an LTC? If not, then it's legal.

It has something to do with licensing and clubs, the targets are not illegal, but it is illegal to use them in a couple of clubs in MA.

A state law? Never heard that one. Sounds like another fudd. [rolleyes] I have only heard like you did, that they can't look like people like your wife or kids or something. Anything else goes.

I dont know if I should psot the clubs name. A lot of people know it, and the range master is a good person, this is the first time he came up to me with crap like this (I have been a member for 3 years now), and I dont want someone giving him crap about it.

Can't these people just leave you alone while you're shooting? How often do you really get to go? The one day you go to go have some fun with your new targets, and this dink chimes in and ruins it. I would keep shooting at them, and let the Board know and see what they say.

He was just being a dick, and he is a ****ing idiot for not understanding the law, unless you are shooting at andover or whtaever the other club that has the license. There are only like one or two clubs in the whole state that shit applies to, and every time I hear some ass repeating that, I want to throttle the person.

-Mike

Depends on the club. Name the club and you'll have your answer.

He was just being a dick, and he is a ****ing idiot for not understanding the law, unless you are shooting at andover or whtaever the other club that has the license. There are only like one or two clubs in the whole state that shit applies to, and every time I hear some ass repeating that, I want to throttle the person.

-Mike

name the club please.

PM sent to you guys.

well from the PM I can tell you it isn't Andover, so what other club, if any has a "club license"

I did not know about the law, but that is still stupid if you ask me. Another ridiculous law in MA. Sorry man

Ignorance of the law is no excuse..... I know it only applies to one known club, and maybe one or two more tops, but I agree it is stupid. Marth and friends want you to be in the dark about all these little laws and CMR's so they can hang you with then

We don't have these problems in NH

When I find out about the other club, I will Email the guys at "my" club.

Last edited:
We don't have these problems in NH

Actually, yeah, you do. I was at a gun shop in NH and this myth was being repeated to customers in the shop. (something along the lines of "these targets are illegal in MA"

This myth has gone so far and wide you would swear that Joseph Goebbels was ressurected from the dead, for the sole purpose of running around to MA and NH gun stores and ranges, telling them about the law in MA that makes it a crime to use silhouette/humanoid targets. [rolleyes]

-Mike

Next Time you are at the Club. Take that guys picture and post it. So we can all print it out and use him as a target at our next range visit...
[laugh2] [rofl]

So therefore this club had no right telling him that, correct?

Seems that way. I say name the club and the person. They need to be awakened, in a big way. Seriously.

I know Danvers has a problem with this. They made me stop shooting silhouettes, but they cited club policy instead of law. Other clubs I have shot at have had no problems.

I know Danvers has a problem with this. They made me stop shooting silhouettes, but they cited club policy instead of law. Other clubs I have shot at have had no problems.

I would not be surprised if there are a bunch of clubs in MA that have a policy based off this law, despite the fact that they aren't bound to obey it.

-Mike

It seems like there are a lot of threads posted where people have problems with these people. I don't get it. Mind your effing business and let people shoot and enjoy themselves.

Originally I thought my club was too far to drive, and too small, but now I am thinking I will get a lifetime membership just because I don't have these problems.

So therefore this club had no right telling him that, correct?

A club is free to make its own rules and regulations, but unless the club has a "club license" as proscribed in the link I posted above, it is just another case of a FUDD RO that has little penis syndrome

It seems to me the membership needs to grow a set of balls and overturn the stupid policy.

A club is free to make its own rules and regulations, but unless the club has a "club license" as proscribed in the link I posted above, it is just another case of a FUDD RO that has little penis syndrome

It seems to me the membership needs to grow a set of balls and overturn the stupid policy.

Some clubs are stubborn. They have the oldest people running the club, half of them dont like Emails, so its impossible to get to them and the websites are never updated. They change policy and dont let anyone know...But when its time for the fees, we all find out, and we find out in time.

Back
Top Bottom