• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Texas police shoot, kill man armed with gun at youth summer camp, authorities say

Reptile

NES Member

No children were harmed during the incident in Duncanville, Texas​

A man armed with a gun was shot dead in Duncanville, Texas, on Monday after he walked into a facility where children were attending a youth summer camp, authorities said.

No children, staff or police officers were harmed during the incident inside the Duncanville Fieldhouse, Duncanville police said.

Officers responded around 8:45 a.m. to reports that a man with a gun was inside the building, where about 150 children were attending a summer camp, Duncanville Police Officer Michelle Arias told reporters at the scene.

"Officers located a subject armed with a gun and engaged the subject," Arias said. "The subject was struck and officers provided first aid. The suspect was transported to the hospital and later pronounced deceased."

Continues...

This article is a little short on details. Was it just a parent who was open-carrying? That's not illegal in TX.

He was the camp's newly hired riflery instructor, showing up for his first day of work...but no one thought to tell the police on the scene.

I kid! I kid!

But it brings back fond memories of when I attended summer camp, and riflery was my favorite activity.

Frank

"Police said the preliminary investigation indicates the gunman was in at least one other area where children were present but none of them were targeted or injured."

The above is good news ^^^.

Below is bad news vvv.

He said he was going to shoot up the place if he didn't see who he was looking for.

Odd scenario.

Good riddance to the bad guy.

A) Sounds like it was more of a domestic than a random cray if he was looking for a particular kid and didn’t fire on the others. His wife was probably threatening to take the kids or something.

B) Cartel hitman punishing someone that ripped them off by going after their kid.

I’ll take A for starters.

Carrying in any manner in a "school facility" is illegal in TX, licensed or not.
The report was very vague as to where this took place…basically said “field house/facility”…and it was a kids “camp”….was it in a school? Like I said, it was very vague.

it brings back fond memories of when I attended summer camp, and riflery was my favorite activity.
Which was your favorite?

Carrying in any manner in a "school facility" is illegal in TX, licensed or not.
The report was very vague as to where this took place…basically said “field house/facility”…and it was a kids “camp”….was it in a school? Like I said, it was very vague.

Certainly more ambiguous than the Tsongas Center.

Which was your favorite?

Certainly more ambiguous than the Tsongas Center.
So...not a "school". Is it usually off limits to firearms, I wonder.

Nothing in here about no firearms:

It's vague, but here's the law. There is more in the exceptions, but Texas is purposefully vague (they'll apply the law as it suits them, not as you read it). (My bolding added.)

Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED.

(a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, location-restricted knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):

(1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless:

(A) pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution

He was the camp's newly hired riflery instructor, showing up for his first day of work...but no one thought to tell the police on the scene.

I kid! I kid!

But it brings back fond memories of when I attended summer camp, and riflery was my favorite activity.

Frank
I remember doing riflery at a summer camp back in the late 60s. Mr. Carlson the rifle instructor would give us a block of wood with five .22 caliber rounds inserted into holes drilled into the block. We shot single shot bolt action rifles. After each shot we had to put the empty shell back into the wood block to make sure that all the rounds were accounted for. As our skills improved we won NRA patches and certificates. Great memories.

I remember doing riflery at a summer camp back in the late 60s. Mr. Carlson the rifle instructor would give us a block of wood with five .22 caliber rounds inserted into holes drilled into the block. We shot single shot bolt action rifles. After each shot we had to put the empty shell back into the wood block to make sure that all the rounds were accounted for. As our skills improved we won NRA patches and certificates. Great memories.
That was the same program we enjoyed in the police station range as kids. Groomed by the nra for fun times.

Gunman ID’d: 42-year-old Brandon Keith Ned of Dallas

I think we all know how quickly this new story will be broomed…..

Duncanville police say 42-year-old Brandon Keith Ned of Dallas was the man they killed in a...

Last edited:
A) Sounds like it was more of a domestic than a random cray if he was looking for a particular kid and didn’t fire on the others. His wife was probably threatening to take the kids or something.

B) Cartel hitman punishing someone that ripped them off by going after their kid.

I’ll take A for starters.
That would be my guess, custody crap.
When my wife was working at a pre school they had a father that was on the no go list show up and insist he was taking the kid.
It may have been just gals there , but there were alot of them .
They pushed him back out the door and locked him out just as the police rolled up.

I kid! I kid!

Frank
Well there was this one time at band camp...

Were there any empties scattered on the ground?

Were there any empties scattered on the ground?
No, Mr. Carlson was very strict about getting 5 shells back. He taught us as much about gun safety and how to be responsible with guns as he did about shooting accurately.

No, Mr. Carlson was very strict about getting 5 shells back. He taught us as much about gun safety and how to be responsible with guns as he did about shooting accurately.
Either the range floor was as clean as a hound's tooth,
or you're not getting my point that he insisted on
getting back five empties -
not the same cases from the five rounds he gave you.

It's literally child's play to palm a round and substitute a case
that you find sitting around. I'd have been scared to death of
someone sneaking a live round into the campfire, but a lot of NESers
with eye patches swear it's wicked pissah.

Our range has closed-bottom cardboard tubes nailed up to the roof pillars,
filled with lengths of fluorescent orange weed-whacker line
used as empty chamber flags.

You would not believe how many empties I pulled out of the tubes
by using a Craw that my father gave me.

I'm surprised I wasn't mugged by a Brass Rat.

05012057.jpg

Back
Top Bottom