• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Texas School district allows teachers to carry

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
http://www.woai.com/content/news/ne...to-carry/zCTeJ5YAfkCqlWpGrszIUQ.cspx?rss=1724

Been doing it since 2008

HARROLD, TX -- Last week's school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut that left 28 dead, including 20 children, has sparked safety concerns in schools across the country. However, one Texas school district says they already have a plan in place for such incidents and are standing by their policy of allowing teachers to pack heat.

Harrold Independent School District is located in the rural community of Harrold, about 35 miles northwest of Witchita Falls. They've allowed their teachers to carry guns since 2008, stating the closest first responders are 30 minutes away.

"Virgina Tech was nine minutes," said Harrold ISD Superintendent David Thweatt. "Fort Hood was three minutes. This one the other day (Newtown), I think, was under four minutes. Police cannot respond during that time. You have to do something to protect you at the source."

Only a certain group of teachers carry the guns at the school, which has a little more than 100 students. Thweatt said he doesn't disclose which teachers do for safety concerns. He also said the teachers go through extensive testing and psychological exams before they're selected as a possible candidate for the guns.

As it should be...My high school vice principle carried a Chiefs Special. My how times have changed....

israel-teacher-rifle.jpg

Where I went to school, the students carried guns. Then again, I did go to elementary school in downtown Worcester.

I had a Remington 1100 in my locker every day during hunting season - up until my senior year, when they made us bring them to the vice principles office. We would hunt grouse, pheasant, rabbits, fox squirrel and my senior year - deer on the way to school. It was a common sight to see kids clearing their shotguns on the back lawn of the school before going inside... When I bagged a deer my senior year, the VP drove me out into the middle of the cornfield where I got it in his Dodge Dart. Mr. Cabbas took off his tweed blazer, rolled up his sleeves, tucked his tie into his shirt and proceeded to show me how to field dress. It was there, I noticed his Chiefs Special on his hip. I asked him about it and he told me it was a gift from his son who was a detective in Pittsburgh. He invited me to go shoot it one day, but I never did. We laid the deer - old school, across the hood of his car and drove it back to school, where the janitors hung it above the loading dock by the cafeteria and called the game warden to check the tag. It was among the rare moments in my high school, or in my life really, that I felt like I was 'cool', as my classmates crowded to the frosty cafeteria windows at lunch to see my 6-pointer. It was fleeting, but it mattered....

Now? We are so far gone from those times, that they remain but a spark in my memories....

Back
Top Bottom