THANKS DELETE

Looking for some assistance from the NES brain trust on this one...

Had a friend of a friend reach out looking for some advice. Active duty solider took his own life while living on base. Family is putting all the funeral planning on this friend and they are very overwhelmed and don't know where to begin. Soldier was stationed out west but originally from east coast and remains being transported back to hometown.

Anyone know if the cause of death will negate any death benefits?
Would the VA provide any assistance in terms of planning the funeral/costs?
Would a veterans cemetery provide any reduced or no cost burial?
Any non-profit groups that would be a good point of contact?

Thanks in advance...
The military will have a Casuality Assistance Officer that should already have been in touch with the next of kin.

The military will have a Casuality Assistance Officer that should already have been in touch with the next of kin.

This is the right answer.

The family's guide through all this is the CAO. The CAO would have contacted the family not long after notification.

Sounds like there was a bit of a disconnect...

I've passed this information on and I appreciate the guidance.

By the way, suicide doesn’t cancel out any of the benefits. There are guys out there who get VA assistance for suicidal thoughts every day. It is considered ( if service connected ) a qualifying disability
Dude, I'm getting suicidal thoughts just reading your posts...opinions may vary

I have a friend whose husband committed suicide on Jan 3rd of this year. He was in the NM National Guard, and was contacted by the Casualty Officer almost immediately.
She will get his life insurance, as well as his Reenlistment Bonus that he hadn't received yet.
All military insurance, (Active, Reserve and Guard,) pays full benefits in cases of suicide.

I drew that duty once. It was a LOT of work, but extremely satisfying. The amount of work I was able to take off the family made things much easier for them.

Back
Top Bottom