that backup gun for competition, totally unnecessary, right?

allen-1

NES Member
I'm shooting FL State IDPA Saturday. So, I'm just putting my gear together and the Trijicon SRO on my Glock 34, (my competition gun), has no red dot.

It worked fine yesterday when I was at the range, and this morning when I was dryfiring it. WTF?

Change the battery - nope.
Change the battery again, just in case, (well, actually because I'm praying) - nope.

I've got a G17 with an RMR on it - guess that's what I'm shooting Saturday. Haven't shot that gun in a year or so, not since I bought the SRO.

Which means I'm headed to the range tomorrow to verify that the RMR is on, and that I can find the dot without too much wiggle.

I guess this is why I have a "backup" competition gun.

Since I'll be shooting my "backup", I'll bring my other iron-sighted G34 as a backup and pray I don't need it.

I'm shooting FL State IDPA Saturday. So, I'm just putting my gear together and the Trijicon SRO on my Glock 34, (my competition gun), has no red dot.
btw, try to rotate SROs windage/elevation - may be it will come back. if not - a bag of rice may help if it is somehow got shorted inside, go figure.

Yeah, if you are going to a big match, definitely bring a back up gun. Hell when I was shooting EAA witness, I would bring a backup to local matches because the guns always failed.

Went to Trijicon's site, filled out their form and got a prompt response from them. They sent me a RMA and a UPS call tag.

Along with that, the tech recommended that I take the cap off, remove the ORing and try it again. If that worked - then the cap hadn't been properly seated with the ORing on it.

I did that - and that is indeed the issue. So simple. User fail.

I swapped my RMR to my G34 last night, and just got back from checking it at the range. So now I'll swap them back, (SRO on the 34 and RMR on the 17), and go back to the range this afternoon to confirm zero on both of them.

And I'll have my primary and my backup for my match Saturday. [dance]

out of curiosity - did you try to clock your results with the G34/SRO and G17/RMR? is there any actual noticeable statistical difference?
presuming rest of the setup of both guns is more or less same, of course. mine now are not same at all...

out of curiosity - did you try to clock your results with the G34/SRO and G17/RMR? is there any actual noticeable statistical difference?
presuming rest of the setup of both guns is more or less same, of course. mine now are not same at all...

I didn't chrono them. I'm running my reloads, and they make power factor in everything I've got, from my G34 down to my G48 and G43. They've all passed equipment checks.

If you're talking about accuracy, they're the same - they're both as inaccurate as I am. Shooting red dot, I can see how unsteady I am. Still accurate enough for IDPA/USPSA, but I would suck at Bullseye.

Target below is from this morning, 85 rounds, checking out RMR on G34 slide, (yes - I remounted it last night); various distances. Two low head shots into the "neck" area. I pulled those shots.

Since SRO is functional again, I swapped the sights back to where they belong - have to go back to range after work and confirm their point of aim. Should be fine - but...

Attachments

• IMG_1940.JPG
    IMG_1940.JPG
    589.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Since SRO is functional again, I swapped the sights back to where they belong - have to go back to range after work and confirm their point of aim. Should be fine - but...
if you do not have it - the laser cartridge helps really well with it.
View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K34W265
i never had to re-zero the sights after setting it at home with this pink rhino.

Yeah, if you are going to a big match, definitely bring a back up gun. Hell when I was shooting EAA witness, I would bring a backup to local matches because the guns always failed.

Hell I even used to bring backup guns to informal bowling pin matches. If your main gun shits itself it's just as bad as getting DQed. At least if you have a backup gun you can continue
shooting the event and its not a wasted day.

im sure people chuckle when I bring a back up rifle to deer camp. But I have a Winchester model 70 in .308 Win that has been used by five different people to take a deer over last 20 years when they had a problem with their rig. Only once did I need it when a scope fogged.

two is one.........

Yup, that's exactly why I will never put battery powered sights on a carry gun. It's one thing when your competition gun has a problem, but it's a whole different kind of trouble when your defense gun fails.

100% agree with this. I have dots on a number of my "range toys"; my carry guns are all iron sights.

100% agree with this. I have dots on a number of my "range toys"; my carry guns are all iron sights.
I am still deliberating with myself if it will be easier to get a second DPP for a new gun or make a switch to SRO or holosun. A second DPP would be easier to move around. A one I have now is almost 2yr old and so far was flawless.

Two is one,... etc
Absolutely. I don't compete in 3 gun and the like.....but if I'm driving more than 45 minutes to hunt I always bring a spare gun. Saved a hunt a few years ago up in north central maine.......snow shoe hare hunt.....and the safety spring on my browning a5 popped......back to the truck to grab the beater mossberg and got a pair of hares with it. Without the spare I'd have been sitting on the side lined after a 4 hour drive

Back
Top Bottom