• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The best build out

So maybe this has been discussed, but I suck at using the search functions here, and can't seem to find it, so here goes.

If you had to build a rifle, primarily of the AR platform, for bugging out/I'm leaving and not going to be returning home for a very long time, what parts and pcs would you use from a reliability stand point?

Forged vs Billet
factory parts kits vs a la carte vs high end trigger groups
heavy duty barrels vs standard off the shelf
direct impingement vs gas piston

I'm sure there are other features, but I was thinking about it the other day and thought hmmmm how would you build the best rifle that would last you as long as possible, perhaps with minimal cleaning, for a "long road journey"

annnnnnnnd go.

Last edited:
Yup, you suck on search. Build whatever that rocks your world. Sky is not limit.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

Yup, you suck on search. Build whatever that rocks your world. Sky is not limit.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

I do, I totally suck at it, maybe I'm just a re-tard when it comes to it, but I can never ever seem to find what I'm after. Mods if there is a thread on this very topic, please feel free to lock her up.

As for building whatever I want, that may not be practical in the sense that it may not be very reliable long term. That's ultimately what I'm after.

I honestly think billet is overrated. More expensive, heavier, and weaker than forged lowers. It is all about aesthetics.

I don't mind regular old LPK parts but I'd get a Timney if it was a bug out AR.

I like light ARs so a regular old barrel is fine by me. My 14.5" build is under 6lbs and is short as hell.

I like DI vs piston for 14.5" builds but I do like piston kits. Only issue is that there are more parts availability with DI unless you stockpile piston parts.

I honestly think billet is overrated. More expensive, heavier, and weaker than forged lowers. It is all about aesthetics.

I don't mind regular old LPK parts but I'd get a Timney if it was a bug out AR.

I like light ARs so a regular old barrel is fine by me. My 14.5" build is under 6lbs and is short as hell.

I like DI vs piston for 14.5" builds but I do like piston kits. Only issue is that there are more parts availability with DI unless you stockpile piston parts.

BUT, could you not argue that the piston system is more reliable, and therefore requires less back up parts? At least thats how it's always been sold to me

I still don't understand why everyone gravitates towards an AR/AK for "survival".

if i were ever in a bugout situation i would take a handgun and pistol-carbine that uses the same ammo.
good luck moving around w 5.56/7.62 and handgun ammo....no way.

i know people knock on the PC-carbine but i find them excellent out to 100 yards, which in reality is plenty far for most situations.
my systems have to use same magazine for PC-carbine and pistol, so that a chest rig can carry enough extra loaded mags.
for 45ACP, kriss vector + Glock 21/30
for 9mm, CX4 storm + 92fs

if i'm changing the PC-carbine for another long gun, then i'm going shotgun for sure. bring a pouch of slugs if you need range. trying going up against a well-trained shotgun within 30 yards and you are toast - including an AR.

just how i would roll...many would argue w me which is cool.

BUT, could you not argue that the piston system is more reliable, and therefore requires less back up parts? At least thats how it's always been sold to me

I agree. Piston kits doesn't shit where it eats. Yeah just get a spare part or 2 and a piston kit would be GTG. If price isn't a concern here, since you are talking about piston kits anyway.

But do a quick search on any AR forum, the general consensus is forged lowers > billet.

I still don't understand why everyone gravitates towards an AR/AK for "survival".

if i were ever in a bugout situation i would take a handgun and pistol-carbine that uses the same ammo.

i know people knock on the PC-carbine but i find them excellent out to 100 yards, which in reality is plenty far for most situations.
my systems have to use same magazine for PC-carbine and pistol, so that a chest rig can carry enough extra loaded mags.

if i'm changing the PC-carbine for another long gun, then i'm going shotgun for sure. bring a pouch of slugs if you need range. trying going up against a well-trained shotgun within 30 yards and you are toast - including an AR.

A 45ACP at 100 yds is the max, why limit yourself??

Well, first of all, the standard gun is not gas blow back. Its called direct impingement because the gas makes the piston act like a piston in a car and the bolt extends from the BCG which from the camming action causes the bolt to rotate which unlocks the bolt.

Whew.

So, in my mind, long term parts availability and interchangeability would trump ultimate reliability.

For example, if I was bugging out for a week, I'd bring my SCAR. It is the most reliable rifle I own.

But if I was bugging out for 5 years, I'd bring an AR a couple of BCGs and a LPK. Because even though the AR is not as reliable as a SCAR, I can keep it running for years with the plentiful parts that exist in "the wild". I also already have many spares for the AR. Shoot, I've got enough spares to keep 3 or 4 ARs running for tens of thousands of rounds.

Try and buy spare parts for a SCAR.

The goal that everything should be very high quality, but also industry standard/ mil spec, would drive my choices.

Forged lower
Factory parts kits with a couple of spare kits.
Maybe a couple of fancy triggers, but have a standard trigger kit to back it up.
Free float tubes don't break so a trick one of those would be fine as long as you had the right toool to remove it for a barrel change.
Any barrel is fine, as long as it has a standard .750 diameter gas block shoulder and uses a standard barrel nut.

I'd also bring a .22 conversion kit and a couple of mags. If you had to hunt for small animals, you might as well use a .22. Ammo is lighter, cheaper and makes less noise. Remember, you can carry 5000 rounds of .22 in a brief case.

Last edited:

I guess mainly because of long range capability? If I have to shoot several hundred yards away, chances are I'm not going to have much with a 9mm carbine. I would think that I would not be carrying much handgun ammo, as that would be a OH SHIT DIS BE THE END!

- - - Updated - - -

Well, first of all, the standard gun is not gas blow back. Its called direct impingement because the gas makes the piston act like a piston in a car and the bolt extends from the BCG which from the camming action causes the bolt to rotate which unlocks the bolt.

I knew I had the term wrong when I typed it. Fixed.

Basically, unless you've spent more than $5k on your AR, you aren't doing it right. Name brands + price = quality, and unless you're willing to pay for a name, you totally shouldn't even have an AR. [smile]

Reliable and durable are 2 different things.

Most failures of DI guns due to crap in the BCG and chamber are remedied with a good cleaning.

You can pretty much shoot an AR for 10K rounds, put a new BCG in it if you are in a rush and repeat. Almost everything that wears out appreciably is in the BCG

The most basic simple weapon in whatever caliber the enemy was using.
Re-supply not being reliable unless your part of a large organized group, pick ups will be what gets you through.

I would just get a Daniel Defense 14.5" LW. You are going to spend more time carrying the gun than shooting it. So you want something light. Also something without proprietary parts, in case you lose a part. So no piston crap. And you would want it in a caliber that can be used for hunting and self defense, so no pistol caliber or heavy rifle calibers

.223 is fine the ammo is light. And you can kill anything on the planet with .223. It may not be an "ethical" hunting round for a bear, but it will sure as hell kill one very nicely if you shoot it enough times.

Remember, when you hunt deer, you only get ONE shot. So people like to use a larger round. But as that moose shot with a glock video prove, the fundamentals of defense apply to even large critters. Shot placement counts most. That moose dropped in about a second.

I can carry >1000 rds of 22lr, so i would actually consider my 10/22 and 22 pistol for sidearm. Probably easier to harvest food w a 22. Try shooting a squirrel rabbit or bird w a .308 hahaha and u go hungry.

the 22lr is so neglected for survival. I concede a 22lr pistol is weak but an 18" barrel gets that little 22 smoking fast (and lethal). I always consider my 22 for survival and for my wife it is her bugout system.

First thing you do is not ask the government permission to build said rifle. Be a free man and build the damn thing. Don't bow down to your master and ask his permission. By that, I mean a gay ass tax stamp, which is code word for "registration!".

Ya know, the one thing everyone here is against, except when it is convenient for them?

Build a short little AR15 and mount an Aimpoint PRO.

First thing you do is not ask the government permission to build said rifle. Be a free man and build the damn thing. Don't bow down to your master and ask his permission. By that, I mean a gay ass tax stamp, which is code word for "registration!".

Ya know, the one thing everyone here is against, except when it is convenient for them?

Build a short little AR15 and mount an Aimpoint PRO.

Well, I mean, sure, that's not really what I'm getting at though. I'm more interested in component reliability. Personally I don't like shorty .223 rifles, just don't do it for me really.

Well, I mean, sure, that's not really what I'm getting at though. I'm more interested in component reliability. Personally I don't like shorty .223 rifles, just don't do it for me really.

14.5"+ than will do the trick.

What do you want? A 24" AR15 that weighs 10 pounds? [laugh]

If you have the money, buy parts from like JP Enterprises, or LMT, etc etc. thousands of dollars, but the nicest rifles on the planet.

14.5"+ than will do the trick.

What do you want? A 24" AR15 that weighs 10 pounds? [laugh]

If you have the money, buy parts from like JP Enterprises, or LMT, etc etc. thousands of dollars, but the nicest rifles on the planet.

well. I have a noveske stripped upper sitting upstairs collecting dust, and because I'm ocd was going to put it on a matching noveske lower. Kind of like their 14.5 heavy duty barrel, but don't like the 450 price tag, everything beyond that is up for debate I suppose, but wasn't sure if there are any things beyond others to think about.

Reliability and AR do not go together I would consider an sks and a 22lr or shootgun or a mosin. ARs are fun to shot but suck for reliabilty.

well. I have a noveske stripped upper sitting upstairs collecting dust, and because I'm ocd was going to put it on a matching noveske lower. Kind of like their 14.5 heavy duty barrel, but don't like the 450 price tag, everything beyond that is up for debate I suppose, but wasn't sure if there are any things beyond others to think about.
Get over the OCD and go for reliability... JFC Ty.

I can scrounge up the parts that made this girl

wbcu.jpg

I would just get a Daniel Defense 14.5" LW. You are going to spend more time carrying the gun than shooting it. So you want something light. Also something without proprietary parts, in case you lose a part. So no piston crap. And you would want it in a caliber that can be used for hunting and self defense, so no pistol caliber or heavy rifle calibers

that.

And the Rainier XTC comp keeps my muzzle almost completely down, can't say enough good things about it. I used a Green Mountain barrel.

Last edited:
" a long time " in the bush with no armorer ? AK47.

A " long time " unconventional conflict " , I'll take any half decent AR15. With a 20 inch barrel , thank you very much. And a cleaning kit.

Yeah I said it! ARs arent the most reliable alittle dirt or sand or some hot laquer from cheap rounds and your looking at a failure. For the record I love my AR but have other guns that I would take before it. In a bug out situation last thing I want to do is clean my rifle every night. If the shtf ill take my sks and my mossberg 500. Simple rugged and non finicky guns are the key to survival KISS (keep it simple stupid) that my outlook.

Yeah I said it! ARs arent the most reliable alittle dirt or sand or some hot laquer from cheap rounds and your looking at a failure. For the record I love my AR but have other guns that I would take before it. In a bug out situation last thing I want to do is clean my rifle every night. If the shtf ill take my sks and my mossberg 500. Simple rugged and non finicky guns are the key to survival KISS (keep it simple stupid) that my outlook.

True..The guy has to start a thread about what kind of AR to build so that makes the AR very complicated to him..Sometimes I think AR's are just too complicated for the everyday forum dweller...

Get an AK,you don't have to start threads on them.

My AR has been 100% reliable through ~1500+ rounds. Seriously. Not one malfunction, misfire, failure to feed or eject. Rra upper w/ chromed bcg. SS 1:8 20" barrel. Geissele trigger.

I'd be comfortable with a good quality handbuilt with known quality components, or a production gun from one of the "Cadillac" brands such as DD, Colt, WC, etc. with good glass from Nikon or Leupold, or perhaps an Acog or Aimpoint.

Truth be told, I'd probably bug out with everything I had! Rem 870 Shotgun w/ three barrels (18", 21" rifled, & 26" vr w/ assorted chokes), .22lr rifle & pistol, 5.56 AR, .308 AR (in progress) and bolt-action scout rifle, .380, 9mm & .45 pistols.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Youre a clown... not to mention very wrong... and a clown.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

Back
Top Bottom