The better of inexpensive tents

We have two Coleman Adirondack 8-person tents.
They have served us well for many years. Bought one for camping with kids and then couple years later saw one at Wally World for 50% so snagged another.
8-man tent really means 5-6....

I got an Alps Mountaineering tent for very short money online somewhere years ago and it’s held up well, goes up easy and has stayed dry.

I think we have a Ozark something or another. Most likely from Walmart many years ago. It has gotten us through maybe 12-14 years camping at Nickerson and a few back yard stints. Not the best, as it is a screen roof with rain fly to go over that. However, on a clear night, it is great for watching shooting stars on the Cape. All in all, I'd say we got our money's worth out of it. Heavy, bulky, for "car camping" not for hiking so much. Probably similar to Colemans and a few similar mid level tents. I think it is maybe a 6 person, but add gear, and it becomes a 4 person real quick.

We got this for my daughter. The tent and the rainfly. She is camping right now with her adventure group in western mass.

She has the six person tent.

She set it up by herself. It took her a couple of minutes as she had to place a tarp under it. ( I made her place the tarp.)

But we got it last weekend and waterproofed the whole thing. All the reviews I read on most of the tents is that they leaked. I wasn't taking that chance.

I sent her will extra sealer and waterproofing just in case.

She sent me this picture Thursday after she finished setting up.

1597492069007.png

This is a pic from a little further back...

1597492391880.png

Amazon product ASIN B07N93HWT6View: https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-6-Person-Instant-Camping-Seconds/dp/B07N93HWT6/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=coleman+6+person+cabin+tent+with+instant+setup&qid=1597491745&sr=8-7

Amazon product ASIN B006GJ8PFGView: https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Rainfly-Accessory-6-Person-Instant/dp/B006GJ8PFG/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=coleman+6+person+cabin+tent+with+instant+setup&qid=1597492079&sr=8-9

Those look nice but ideally looking at a lower price point.

ETA: These will be overkill.

Those tents pop up often used because they are not that light, take up space in the car/truck and people fall out of love with camping. Check the CL's and Off Road forums.

Springbar and Wall Tents for the same reason. Hunting season is starting very soon and you may see deals on those type. Best of luck. Matt

Just looking for a 5-8 person tent for back yard fun.
@mac1911 I have a coleman 6 person that I do not use. I believe one of the poles for the rainfly is broken, otherwise it is in good shape. Pole can be fixed with a sleeve. Or replace it for two bucks :) Yours for free. Pete's NES instant karma. I'm near Worcester.

Back
Top Bottom