• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The Coming War With China Part 3

SFC13557

NES Member
"American forces in the Pacific are still concentrated at large bases, principally on Guam and Okinawa, that are highly vulnerable to missile attacks. The U.S. defense budget has loads of money for future capabilities that might materialize in the 2030s but won’t help win a war over Taiwan in this decade. Washington has, rightly, committed tens of billions of dollars in aid to Ukraine yet struggles to find a fraction of that to fund the Pacific Deterrence Initiative, meant to make U.S. forces in the region more resilient and powerful. The fact that China faces an ugly long-term trajectory won’t be much consolation if Beijing nonetheless thrashes Washington and Taipei in the coming fight for dominance of the Western Pacific.

But the situation isn’t hopeless. Amphibious assaults are devilishly difficult, and a full-on invasion of Taiwan would be one of the largest amphibious assaults in history. It would require the PLA to surge hundreds of thousands of troops across the turbulent Taiwan Strait and to seize an island whose geography—mountains, dense jungles, crowded urban environments—is a defender’s dream. A smart, committed defender could turn this operation into a bloody nightmare for invading forces. And doing so doesn’t require defying the laws of physics; it just requires moving—now—to make an invasion look all-too-daunting for even a risk-prone peaking power.

First, the Pentagon can turn the Taiwan Strait into a deathtrap for attacking forces by stocking up on tools that are ready or nearly ready today. This means positioning hordes of missile launchers, armed drones, electronic jammers and sensors at sea and on allied territory near the strait. Instead of waiting for a Chinese assault to start and then surging missile-magnet aircraft carriers into the region, the Pentagon could use what is, in essence, a high-tech minefield to decimate China’s invasion forces and cut their communications links. These diffuse networks of munitions and jammers would be difficult for China to eliminate without starting a regionwide war. They could be installed on virtually anything that floats or flies, including cargo ships, barges and aircraft.

The U.S. also needs to ensure that its military doesn’t have a glass jaw. To prevent China from wrecking forward-stationed American forces at the start of a conflict, the U.S. must scatter those forces across dozens of small operating sites in East Asia. The few big bases that remain must be outfitted with hardened shelters, robust ballistic missile defenses and fake targets to absorb Chinese missiles. Hanging tough also requires dramatically ramping up production of key munitions, so that America has adequate stockpiles and active production lines when the shooting starts. In short, Washington must deprive Beijing of any hope of landing a knockout blow—and thereby confront it with the prospect of a long, grueling war that could threaten the CCP’s hold on power at home.

Another priority is for Washington to help Taiwan help itself. Taipei has smart plans to stock up on mobile missile launchers, mines and radars; harden its communications infrastructure; enlarge its army and ground-force reserves; and otherwise prepare to inflict sky-high costs on an aggressor. But Taipei isn’t implementing these plans fast enough. If Taiwan doesn’t pick up the pace, there is nothing the U.S. can do to save it. If Taiwan redoubles its efforts, however, then America should provide money, hardware and expertise to make the island a tougher target.

The U.S. can help by donating ammunition and sensors, subsidizing Taiwanese procurement of missile launchers and mine layers, matching Taiwanese investments in vital military infrastructure and expanding joint training on crucial defense missions. American special operations forces can help Taiwan prepare for a lethal insurgency against Chinese occupiers, the threat of which may help deter an invasion in the first place. Just as important, Washington can undertake more complex exercises with Taiwan’s military—and quietly station larger contingents of trainers and special operations forces on the island—to ensure that the two countries can act as a real alliance if a conflict ignites.

The U.S. also needs to exploit the enemy’s weaknesses. Because the PLA hasn’t fought a major war since invading Vietnam in 1979, it hasn’t tested its modern command-and-control processes under fire. By developing the ability—through cyberattacks and related means—to inject confusion into military communications networks, the Pentagon can make Chinese officials wonder how glitchy their forces will be in combat. And by rehearsing a distant blockade of Chinese energy imports, America can threaten to turn any protracted conflict into an economic disaster for Beijing.

Finally, the U.S. must make China realize that a Taiwan war could go big as well as long. The more friends America can bring into the fight, the less appetizing that fight will look to Beijing.

The PLA may talk big about crushing Japan if Tokyo helps Washington in a crisis, but it can’t relish the prospect of fighting a global superpower and its mightiest regional ally. The Indian and Australian navies could help Washington choke off Beijing’s oil imports as they transit the Malacca Strait. Key European powers—especially the United Kingdom and France—can contribute submarines or surface combatants; more important, they can impose painful technological and economic sanctions. Sanctioning China obviously would be more difficult than sanctioning Russia—which is why America and its allies need to plan these punishments now, before a crisis starts.

If Washington can credibly promise to turn a fight over Taiwan into a showdown between China and the world’s most advanced democracies, that is a strategic price even Xi Jinping might not want to pay. Indeed, the best way to avoid a looming war in Asia is to make clear that Beijing cannot win at anything like an acceptable cost.

The crisis over Speaker Pelosi’s visit is just the beginning. The U.S. is entering the most crucial phase of its rivalry with China, when the risk of war is highest and decisions made, or not made, will reverberate for decades. America can win a protracted competition against a formidable but faltering China, but only if it braces now for the very real possibility of a dramatic attack on Taiwan."

Mr. Brands is the Henry Kissinger Distinguished Professor at the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies and a senior fellow at the American Enterprise Institute. Mr. Beckley is associate professor of political science at Tufts University and a nonresident senior fellow at the American Enterprise Institute. This essay is adapted from their new book, “Danger Zone: The Coming Conflict with China,” which will be published by W.W. Norton on Aug. 16.

Better late than never but something should really be done concerning Taiwan and the US.
All in or On your own.
The current policy is no longer viable.

Emperor Xi has a narrowing window to complete his conquest of Taiwan and his takeover of the Pacific and it's countries. in 2012 he shocked Barry when he told him his plan, China will dominate the Pacific and Asia and we can keep the West. He's not bluffing.

Wait...you DID NOT just post in your own thread did you? #callingalladmin

View attachment 646122
HUH? If you're too lazy or disinterested to read the whole article from the WSJ so be it. I post threads all the time and reply to other posters on the subject. Please read my recent post on my trials and tribulations at the Registry Tuesday.

HUH? If you're too lazy or disinterested to read the whole article from the WSJ so be it. I post threads all the time and reply to other posters on the subject. Please read my recent post on my trials and tribulations at the Registry Tuesday.
The issue is you posted three separate threads for the exact same topic… nay… the exact same article.

If it’s too big for one post, just break it up into multiple posts…. in the same thread. That way people can have a reasoned, contiguous conversation on the topic.

I broke it up into Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 because article was longer than 10,000 words. and NES doesn't allow a post with more than 10,000 words I don't understand your complaint.

I broke it up into Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 because article was longer than 10,000 words. and NES doesn't allow a post with more than 10,000 words I don't understand your complaint.
It's post vs. thread. He is saying you could have made 3 separate 10K work posts in the same thread instead of having 3 separate threads for people to follow.

It's post vs. thread. He is saying you could have made 3 separate 10K work posts in the same thread instead of having 3 separate threads for people to follow.
and put them in the original thread started a while ago...but nah. what i have to post needs its own thread, times 3....

I'm confused, are we allowed to comment on the article or is this an OP-shaming thread? Maybe I should start my own thread to comment on this thread?

...either way, we should definitely NOT be doing any of the things described in this article. Why are we so desperately looking or another war? We got out of Afghanistan, then a couple months later we provoke Russia, now we're provoking China? WTF?

I'm confused, are we allowed to comment on the article or is this an OP-shaming thread? Maybe I should start my own thread to comment on this thread?

...either way, we should definitely NOT be doing any of the things described in this article. Why are we so desperately looking or another war? We got out of Afghanistan, then a couple months later we provoke Russia, now we're provoking China? WTF?
Just make sure not to comment on something from Part 2 in either of the other thread and vice versa. That would just be wrong :)

You used three separate threads, not three separate posts. It would have been better to create one thread with part one as the first post. Then reply to that thread with a part 2 post, and then part 3 etc.

I can say with the utmost certainty that I do not want our Pacific Fleet getting destroyed defending Taiwan, China would get hurt but it’s not worth one ounce of US blood defending that island.
It is until we can get our own high-spec chip manufacturing domestically.

We’d be completely f***ed if China controlled 90% of quality chip manufacturing.

It is until we can get our own high-spec chip manufacturing domestically.

We’d be completely f***ed if China controlled 90% of quality chip manufacturing.
That is something this shitty government should have planned for long ago, it’s no different than Ukraine not building their defensive capabilities after 2014. It’s ridiculous

This whole escalation is inexcusable, this 81 year old douch bag had no commitment to go to Taiwan especially after the gov advised against it.

It’s just stirring the pot for no reason, Taiwan knows we will defend them without this bitch going there and confirming that

You used three separate threads, not three separate posts. It would have been better to create one thread with part one as the first post. Then reply to that thread with a part 2 post, and then part 3 etc.
Don't know the difference and don't care. If you don't want to read article don't read it.

I can say with the utmost certainty that I do not want our Pacific Fleet getting destroyed defending Taiwan, China would get hurt but it’s not worth one ounce of US blood defending that island.
If China takes Taiwan then they control the Pacific meaning Japan, Vietnam, Australia, NZ, The Philippine's, etc, That means no trade with the USA and these countries that are our Allies will have no choice to capitulate to the CCP and trade exclusively with them. That means we have no right of passage in the South Pacific and our and Europe's economy would crumble and Little Puty would shut down the pipelines to Europe and his Armored Forces would be on the move. We would be isolated and reduced to a 3rd World power which is the objective of Emperor Xi and Little Puty. If our Navy can't destroy the toy Navy of the CCP then we are wasting Billions of dollars on them.

If China takes Taiwan then they control the Pacific meaning Japan, Vietnam, Australia, NZ, The Philippine's, etc, That means no trade with the USA and these countries that are our Allies will have no choice to capitulate to the CCP and trade exclusively with them. That means we have no right of passage in the South Pacific and our and Europe's economy would crumble and Little Puty would shut down the pipelines to Europe and his Armored Forces would be on the move. We would be isolated and reduced to a 3rd World power which is the objective of Emperor Xi and Little Puty. If our Navy can't destroy the toy Navy of the CCP then we are wasting Billions of dollars on them.
China has the ultimate goal of being the leading super power of the world, there is no doubt in that,

I’m not going to pretend to be able to counter point all that you said because you might be correct and I’m not all that educated with the ins and outs of global trading

Better late than never but something should really be done concerning Taiwan and the US.
All in or On your own.
The current policy is no longer viable.
We should put Hank Johnson in charge of moving the island closer to the United States.

China has the ultimate goal of being the leading super power of the world, there is no doubt in that,

I’m not going to pretend to be able to counter point all that you said because you might be correct and I’m not all that educated with the ins and outs of global trading
Most of the cheap shit Americans are addicted to are made in China, Vietnam, India, Bangladesh, etc. Even thou India is a quasi-Allie and they hate China they are no match for the PLA. Emperor Xi is going for a 3rd term which would make him Dictator for Life and his ambition is to be compared to Mao. He believes China is a World Empire and should control the World and they have the economy to do it. He has a small window to accomplish his goals because China has an aging population with no social safety net and many 20-30 yr olds are refusing to have children and looking to flee his authoritarian rule. The collapse of the Real Estate market doomed many aging Chinese because that was their retirement income. Because China instituted the one child policy most of the elderly only have one child and in traditional Chinese society the elderly go to live with their son's family or are taken care of by them. Families that had one girl are screwed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom