• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The Commonwealth gave me a heads up.

blindndead

NES Member
Got a letter telling me that my LTC will expire in the near future [shocked]
They also want me to know that possession of a weapon without a valid license may carry penalty's as provided in M.G.L.c 140.

So do they care for me or is this state strapped to the max and wants my 100 bucks for my second amendment right? I guess they have us by the you know what.

Got a letter telling me that my LTC will expire in the near future [shocked]
They also want me to know that possession of a weapon without a valid license may carry penalty's as provided in M.G.L.c 140.

So do they care for me or is this state strapped to the max and wants my 100 bucks for my second amendment right? I guess they have us by the you know what.

The law requires the notice for FID holders but not LTC holders so Guida is doing a solid. Too bad the RMV can't take a page from EOPSS.

BTW: The criminal penalties are in ch 269§10 et al; and not ch 140. I guess the person who wrote the AWB letter wrote the template for the renewal letter...

The law requires the notice for FID holders but not LTC holders so Guida is doing a solid. Too bad the RMV can't take a page from EOPSS.

BTW: The criminal penalties are in ch 269§10 et al; and not ch 140. I guess the person who wrote the AWB letter wrote the template for the renewal letter...

But, there is no criminal penalty for possession of a firearm if you have an expired LTC that would have covered the gun, provided that

(a) The LTC was expired, and not revoked (except revocation for failure to file a change of address)
(b) You have not applied for renewal or re-issuance of the LTC and been declined
(c) You have not entered into the realm of a "prohibited person" who is not eligible for an LTC

There is still a civil penalty of $500 to $5000 for possession/carry with an expired license, and this is indeed contained in Chapter 140, Section 131(m). Furthermore, 140-131(m) establishes that the penalties of 269-10 do not apply in the case of an individual with an expired license meeting the aforementioned criteria.

I guess the person who wrote the AWB letter wrote the template for the renewal letter...
Actually, it would appear the letter is accurate, though less than fully informative as to the lack of the "criminal" nature of the sanctions.

I got one about six weeks before the current license expired. More of a folded postcard than a letter. Had already applied for renewal. Never remember getting one before.

Back
Top Bottom