The deer are mocking me.

Spartan65

NES Member
This is my first real season hunting on my own. I have been out about 5 times so far. Twice I have seen deer. The first activity I saw I passed on a smaller doe thinking “I don’t want to waste my doe tag on something that small”. Then on Saturday I had a large buck under me long before sunrise. I wanted to take a shot but did not as it was so dark I was thinking it was not a ethical clean shot to take. Today at work another doe came right out of the woods and stared me down. Then later tonight at a side job a massive buck walked right out to the open in front of me. Man the itch is real! Good luck to everyone it looks like temps will be dropping and hopefully the deer will be also. 7EC0CD59-3E0A-4832-982B-C3D70BE1C147.jpeg

This is my first real season hunting on my own. I have been out about 5 times so far. Twice I have seen deer. The first activity I saw I passed on a smaller doe thinking “I don’t want to waste my doe tag on something that small”. Then on Saturday I had a large buck under me long before sunrise. I wanted to take a shot but did not as it was so dark I was thinking it was not a ethical clean shot to take. Today at work another doe came right out of the woods and stared me down. Then later tonight at a side job a massive buck walked right out to the open in front of me. Man the itch is real! Good luck to everyone it looks like temps will be dropping and hopefully the deer will be also. View attachment 409656
Keep at it. Your seeing deer and thats a good thing. I saw deer every time I went out the first 5 times this year.....same issues your having on timing and such. Then 6th time out I connected with a buck. Hunt the places your seeing deer and it'll happen.

Last edited:
Like Whacko said, It happens to all of us at one time or another. Hang in there you will connect.

Bob

737-B9-A7-E-C241-48-F4-99-CE-984-E4249376-E.jpg

The other AM just before shooting hours I closed blinked my eyes for just a second. When I woke up opened them again a couple minutes a second or two later a big 'ol doe was standing maybe ten feet away staring me in the face.

Holy shit im spitting coffee out if my nose thanks. 🤣🤣🤣

What's making it that funny is I've done the same thing.....like.....last weekend. 🤣

Some days you'd swear they were the smartest animals on the face of the earth. Other days you wonder how they aren't extinct already!

When they run right into the sides of vehicles on the highways and roads, but then you just can't be in the right time and place for them when you're in the woods, it's enough to make you crazy. Hahaha

I'm seeing a lot of red squirrels this season, and fewer grays. Hadn't seen many reds over the past dozen or so years in the area I'm hunting now.

I'm seeing a lot of red squirrels this season, and fewer grays. Hadn't seen many reds over the past dozen or so years in the area I'm hunting now.

I would like to shoot one of them with a .22 (on the ground of course) and see what they taste like. Little bastards are open season year-round. You can shoot one with pretty much anything you want, right?

I would like to shoot one of them with a .22 (on the ground of course) and see what they taste like. Little bastards are open season year-round. You can shoot one with pretty much anything you want, right?

Yep. They're on the small side. Like midway between a gray squirrel and a chipmunk (also open season).

They taste just like grey squirrel....with a hint of pine.....they eat conifer cones.

I'm used to seeing so many chipmunk out there, that a couple weeks ago I was about 15 feet from a stone wall and saw a red squirrel on it, but I initially thought it was a chipmunk. I even muttered out loud "Goddamn chipmunks!" 🤣

Back
Top Bottom