• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The dreaded 40 conundrum

seanc

NES Member
so.. I have had 40# over the years. I get one. I shoot it. Not a huge fan. And I sell trade the 40 for a 9 or 45.
So I have accumulated a big old bag of 40 ammo.

So what to do? Is there a good 40 out there? Give it yet another try?
Or, just ignore that bag of 40 and deny everything?

I'd say the only .40 I've ever shot that was decent was a USP (coming from somebody who doesn't hate .40 but would either just rather have a .45 or a 9. But that has ergonomics that make Glock look amazing but still a nice service gun. I'd say sell, trade or donate to a buddy otherwise.

Ive got a sig 229 in .40 and there isn't a damn thing wrong with it. Probably would've picked up a 9 instead if I was actually seeking a 229 but it was a great deal on a barely used gun. Its accurate with recoil I cant feel any worse than 9mm, and arguably more stopping power, cheap ammo etc..

Only downside is you lose a few rounds capacity. Ive read all the hype dissing .40 but IMHO, my amateur opinion, its a great way to get a good deal on a gun that is every bit as good.

Ive got a sig 229 in .40 and there isn't a damn thing wrong with it. Probably would've picked up a 9 instead if I was actually seeking a 229 but it was a great deal on a barely used gun. Its accurate with recoil I cant feel any worse than 9mm, and arguably more stopping power, cheap ammo etc..

Only downside is you lose a few rounds capacity. Ive read all the hype dissing .40 but IMHO, my amateur opinion, its a great way to get a good deal on a gun that is every bit as good.
This is fair too I overlooked some of the DAK .40 226 I've shot and the P series aren't bad either especially if you get a good deal.

Why are you trying to buy something that you consistently don’t like? Is this real life?

I have one of those too, West German made with a fantastic trigger. You can get a 9mm conversion barrel that drops right in and makes it a 9mm 229 with no spring changes or anything. But the best part is the .40 mags will feed the 9mm ammo just fine and hold a few extra rounds at the same time. I think I can get 12 in my 10 rd 40/357sig mag.

I have one of those too, West German made with a fantastic trigger. You can get a 9mm conversion barrel that drops right in and makes it a 9mm 229 with no spring changes or anything. But the best part is the .40 mags will feed the 9mm ammo just fine and hold a few extra rounds at the same time. I think I can get 12 in my 10 rd 40/357sig mag.
I do the same with my XD. Bought a bunch of 357sig mags and load them with 9mm, or .4o depending on what barrel I'm shooting with

absolutely dislike a 40 cal., unless it's in a Sig 229.

Wow I guess I just got lucky, when I bought mine someone I knew needed $$ and was thinking of selling his. I made a real lowball offer not knowing any better or much about the 229 and he took it.

That is very interesting - I was aware of the 357 sig conversion but didn't buy the hype. Didn't realize I could get by without a new slide and even using my existing mags. Also have a 226 in 9mm, maybe I should've started in .40 with that.

Get a 40 if A) it’s a good deal and B) something you want. Shoot up all that ammo then get a 9mm conversion barrel. I once picked up a dirt cheap G35 slide for a Glock build and put a Storm Lake 9mm conversion in it. Total John Wick tack driver LOL.

I’m in the 40 camp with a 229 West German made and a 239. No complaints. West German made also in 226 9mm and 220 in 45. All great guns and shoot fine.

Good round in an all steel fullsized gun.
Like most, horrible in polymer pocket pistol.
Easier to make minor power factor with mousefart loads if you play shooting games with it.
Smith just re-released the 610, that'll take .40. Its a beast for bowling pin shoots.

Ill take your big old bag of 40. I have a glock 22 and 32 with a LW 40 barrel.

Love them both, but they arent target guns. 40 is a good defense round. Nothing wrong with it.

i still own my 3 original .40's i bought in the early 90's, a g22, g23 and a smith 4013 and still shoot them. oh, and the para p16 i used in ipsc competition. there's nothing wrong them, they served the purpose at the time. as the 9 evolved and a greater variety of bullet styles and ammo choices came on the market i switched to that for carry. i won't sniff at the behind of bullies who want me to believe they are all knowing oracles of everything and their word is final.

1. Sell ammo to someone with a .40 who wants it.

2. Or buy a cheep police trade-in glock in .40, shoot your ammo up and get a Storm Lake 9mm conversation barrel. My SL barrel in my G22 is amazingly accurate. It is my favorite Glock to shoot.

I've got thousands of rounds of 40 down my G23's. Never saw a problem with the round. I think 99.999% of all of the caliber yabbering is current opinion. Five years ago, you were STUPID for even CONSIDERING a 9. I recall about 15-18 yrs ago going to SIG school (in the old building) where Bank (Banks?) Miller discussed why he used 9mm hardball at all times. I thought he was a loon, because the current theory at the time was bigger and badder, PERIOD.

In a decade, everyone will be clamoring for 40cal Glocks again for some reason. It'll resurge. Not like it was before, but suddenly a 40 Glock will be worth reasonable $ again.

Until then, I'm fine still shooting my Fo-TEEZ. Hell, I'll even carry the G27 at times.

I've got thousands of rounds of 40 down my G23's. Never saw a problem with the round. I think 99.999% of all of the caliber yabbering is current opinion. Five years ago, you were STUPID for even CONSIDERING a 9. I recall about 15-18 yrs ago going to SIG school (in the old building) where Bank (Banks?) Miller discussed why he used 9mm hardball at all times. I thought he was a loon, because the current theory at the time was bigger and badder, PERIOD.

In a decade, everyone will be clamoring for 40cal Glocks again for some reason. It'll resurge. Not like it was before, but suddenly a 40 Glock will be worth reasonable $ again.

Until then, I'm fine still shooting my Fo-TEEZ. Hell, I'll even carry the G27 at times.

I agree that their is nothing wrong with 40. I prefer 9 but all the hate is just dumb. Make your choice and drive on with your life.

Some day those old Smith and Sig steel guns in 40 are going to be worth $$ when the internet decides they are trendy again as collectibles.

I have 3 guns in .40:

STI DVC Limited (competition, to make major power factor)
Glock 35 (competition, to make major power factor - never used due to the above)
KelTec Sub2000 (for funzies and when I need a beard trim on one side of my face)

If you have any interest in competition, i'd go the 2011 route.

I've carried a G23 since 1998. Shoot the piss out of it, well.
Love that pistol...

You could always try a Subbie in .40...

6836507_01_kel_tec_9mm_sub_2k_od_green_640.jpg

So I have accumulated a big old bag of 40 ammo.

Have you thought of broadcasting handfuls of it out your window as you drive by educational institutions...?
If this happens enough, it will create a "numbing" effect.

Back
Top Bottom