The Europeans get something right for a change

KMaurer

NES Member
And all along I thought we were supposed to be the worst bunch around. [roll]

... a report on how France is perceived by other European countries may give even the most patriotic Frenchman pause for thought. Not only are the views expressed damning - its authors are French.

The conclusions of the study, Why the French are the Worst Company on the Planet - by Olivier Clodong, a professor of social and economic communication, and Jose-Manuel Lamarque, a journalist - speak for themselves: the British think they are "chauvinists, stubborn, nannied and humourless". Even the tolerant Swedes admit to finding them "disobedient, immoral, disorganised, neo-colonialist and dirty".

The Germans find them "pretentious, haughty and frivolous", the Spanish see them as "cold, distant, vain and impolite". and the Dutch describe them as "agitated, talkative and shallow".

The story is similar elsewhere. The Portuguese find them too preachy, the Italians think they are "snobbish, arrogant, carnal, righteous and self-obsessed", and the Greeks dismiss them as "out-of-touch, egocentric bons vivants".

Those questioned were not asked what it was they particularly hated about the French, merely five adjectives to describe them.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/france/story/0,11882,1485698,00.html

Ken

My boss is originally from Quebec, and still has relatives there. After the last few years of world happenings, I asked him if "their English has improved". He smiled and said yes. I figured they'd rather be recognized as Canadian than French.

Back
Top Bottom