The "Expensive Stuff That's Worth It" Thread

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
You know how you look at gun related items on the Internet, see a big price difference between similar items and think, "I wonder if the expensive one is worth it"?

This thread is for the gun related items that are "worth it". Here are four that I can think of off the top of my head:

Giraud Trimmer - I've tried at least a half dozen different ways to trim cases with varying degrees of success. I waited until recently to buy one of these because of the price (over $400 w/shipping). Let me tell you... this thing is head and shoulders above everything else (including the Gracie). It reeks quality, it's ultra-fast, does a perfect job on the cases, and is built to last a lifetime. Thanks to Patriot and everybody else that recommended this thing.

Redding Competition Seating Die - I changed nothing in my setup except this die, and my 100 yard groups shrunk by 1/2". It's that good.

Magpul PRS Stock - This thing is heavy, robust, and built like a precision instrument. If you're building a target AR, this stock is definitely worth the extra money.

Harris Bipods - This one might be obvious, but I've tried three or four 'off brand' bipods that looked just like the Harris. When I finally got a Harris, I gave away the knock-offs and replaced them with the real thing.

Last edited:
Knoxx SpecOps Recoil Reducing stock. I had one on my Winchester 1300 and have one on my Mossberg 590. Makes a real difference when shooting 3" shells...

Well worth the $$$

Starrett Drive Pin Punches for gunsmithing

http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/html_p/BS565WB.htm

The above link has the nice wooden holder for them, as opposed to the red plastic holder that they typically come in.

These punches are well worth the money. 3x more expensive than the cheap punch sets, but indestructible. Highly recommended.

Krieger barrels

Warner rear aperture sights

Stallings front aperture sights

Master Class target rifle stocks

Chombart triggers

Barnard rifle actions

Anschutz rifles

Creedmore shooting coats

Kowa, Swarovski, Nightforce, and Schmidt & Bender scopes and binoculars

Sherline miniature milling machine. For small milling jobs or precision drilling the little Sherline mill is a great tool.

Edit to add: this little mill is perfect for any number of gunsmithing tasks. Drilling receivers for drill/tap scope mount jobs, fine milling jobs for parts fitting or creating parts from stock, milling out blind pins, etc. Basically, any job on a small scale where you might want a mill or high-end drill press.

Last edited:
- S&W revolvers
- Sig pistols
- a good M1A/M14 rifle
- Storm rifle and pistol cases
- a real ACOG scope on an AR

Nice try EC. I will say a good trigger job, its hard to rationalize the money until you go to the range and then you forget all about the money.

Trijicon night sights and ACOG
Peltor ComTac hearing protection
Hollow ground screwdrivers
Surefire G2 flashlight (not really that expensive)
NES membership (also not expensive) [smile]

Last edited:
MSA Supreme Pro Earmuffs. These are thin, allowing a nice cheek weld on a rifle. They are also light, comfortable, and do a much better job of sound amplification than any other muffs I have used. Most cheap electronic muffs cut out loud noises decently, but do a poor job of reproducing quieter sounds and especially amplifying sound. These muffs do such a nice job that you hear things around you better than if you were wearing no muffs at all, and there is no static, poor sound quality, or other distraction. Finally, amplification is powerful enough that when doubling up on protection with earplugs (e.g., indoors), you can still hear range commands clearly.

Back
Top Bottom