The Powderhorn, Hyannis, MA

excuse me on the handling the same peace...i didn't see the date of the post. my point was that the guns in the glass cases get handled by costumers and will show some wear from the slide being worked...

How is this place still in business?

People who actually buy guns, ammo and components go there quite often, and Mark has plenty of friends. It is also patronized by police, and potential hunters. On top of that, there is a fishing section, and I think there may still be an archery section. While most of the complaints are more or less believable, don't forget that what you see posted here is only one side. In addition, even if someone experiences a case where Mark is in error, if he is a regular customer he may balance that against all the times when Mark wasn't in error, or did him a major favor, or two, or three. It is easy to write a shop off from one incident, and you are certainly free to do so, but not everyone operates that way. Myself, I'm glad that my friends don't all have a one-strike-and-you're-out policy.

Does that answer your question?

How is this place still in business?

His bonded warehouse alone can keep him in business forever! There is nothing more lucrative than the confiscation of guns, ammo and mags on a Ch. 209A . . . it's a gravy-train for the bonded warehouses . . . especially for the two biggest operations in MA (Mark and Peter Dowd), enough so that they regularly lobby TPTB to ensure that no regulations are passed that would impact that gravy-train.

Smith & Wesson day at Powderhorn today so I stopped by. I am interested in getting a new 642, unfortunately the S&W rep only brought M&P semi auto's. They did have a Kahr rep there with a 1911 (new) for $575.00 (it was listed at $619. but he said they were selling them for $575) also had a very compact 9mm (6 shot) that looked nice for CCW ($900 -$1000). They had a few tables setup in the back in the Archery range (didn't even know they had an archery range back there) with some scopes, AR's and books etc.
They had a S&W 642 in the case listed at $569 (Four Season lists it at $439). Prices just seem to be a bit too high to seriously consider buying anything there. It was fairly crowded but not overly... Only good deal on ammo I saw was 9mm @ 13.99 per 50 round box (good deal for them).
I want to support my local gun shops but I can't give them free reign to screw me over.

I took down original post since it got me nothing but a personal attack.

All i have to say is ill never go there again and if your smart neither would you. if you want to feel like a valued costumer than this place is not for you.

Last edited:
Guys can we not take a steamer in the thread? [thinking] This thread is for reviews of the shop, not grammar lessons. Thanks.

-Mike

Well, Ive held my tongue for a while.
Im done with the Powderhorn.
Ive been patronizing them for a long time,decades, since they were located around the corner at the other location.
Last time I was there, a discussion of post and pre-ban mags came up and I was told "fu&* the mag laws. They are BS. Buy what you want. The cops will never prosecute anyone for a post ban mag. "
I didnt see any post ban mags for sale though.
I was looking at a rifle that has been on the rack for almost a year. I asked if they could do better on the price and possibly move it. I was told no way and that the rifle had only been there for a couple weeks. More BS.

My son was with me and was disrespected when he had a retort to one of Mark's lame remarks.He was actually smacked across the head and almost had his hat knocked off.
My son turned around and gave me the "Im gonna punch this guy" look and I knew it was time to leave.

The prices are high, the discussion not particularly stimulating and the attitudes suck.
Transfer fees are high,ammo prices high, used crappy gun prices are high.
I have numerous times watched and heard the employees bad mouth a customer after they have left the store.I guess its easy to talk smack behind someone's back after they leave the store.
On top of that, the place is dirty. I always feel like I need a bath after going there and they could at least dust the guns off after sitting on the rack for months and months.

Anyone who lays a hand on a customer deserves to be out of business.

Its M&M or Four seasons for me from now on.

Like to see that jerk do the same to my son! He's six foot six and 270#! I was in the gun business over twenty years and PR is 99% of your job the firearms usually sells themselves but with attitudes like those guys they will be closed before long!!
Sorry to hear this happening something the firearms industry does not need!!! Especially in Mass!!

OK..........eating some crow. I defended the guy in a past post and now must recant. After spending $3000.00++ there (me and two of my sons) I was told by Marc (quite some time ago....maybe a year ago) that the primer shortage was over. I suggested to him that he was either drunk or high which began a verbal spew that pissed me off to a fairtheewell. I returned about a month or two later (out of necessity only) and was accused by Marc for being a "trouble maker". I refreshed his memory about suggesting that the primer shortage was over. He flat out denied saying it and huffed off. Jerry, one of the good guys there gave me a wink as to say that Marc is a BS artist extraordinaire. Like others, I've witnessed verbal abuse to customers and down right insults. Defies logic that he's still in business. The only thing I can think of is that he's just about the only show in town. Were there one bit of competition, I believe he'd be gone in a flash.

He probably makes more money with his bonded warehouse . . . confiscation of 209A guns, suspended/revoked license "proceeds" at no cost to him . . . than he does from selling guns/ammo at retail.

As long as the bonded warehouse travesty continues to exist, he and anyone else in his position can behave as he wishes. The PDs feed him a "gravy train" with little/no effort on his part. [thinking]

Well, Ive held my tongue for a while.
Im done with the Powderhorn.
Ive been patronizing them for a long time,decades, since they were located around the corner at the other location.
Last time I was there, a discussion of post and pre-ban mags came up and I was told "fu&* the mag laws. They are BS. Buy what you want. The cops will never prosecute anyone for a post ban mag. "
I didnt see any post ban mags for sale though.
I was looking at a rifle that has been on the rack for almost a year. I asked if they could do better on the price and possibly move it. I was told no way and that the rifle had only been there for a couple weeks. More BS.

My son was with me and was disrespected when he had a retort to one of Mark's lame remarks.He was actually smacked across the head and almost had his hat knocked off.
My son turned around and gave me the "Im gonna punch this guy" look and I knew it was time to leave.

The prices are high, the discussion not particularly stimulating and the attitudes suck.
Transfer fees are high,ammo prices high, used crappy gun prices are high.
I have numerous times watched and heard the employees bad mouth a customer after they have left the store.I guess its easy to talk smack behind someone's back after they leave the store.
On top of that, the place is dirty. I always feel like I need a bath after going there and they could at least dust the guns off after sitting on the rack for months and months.

Anyone who lays a hand on a customer deserves to be out of business.

Its M&M or Four seasons for me from now on.

Are you serious!!!!!????
He accually hit your son????
Report his ass.You'll be doing Cape Cod a favor by getting his FFL taken away.

Last edited:
Are you serious!!!!!????
He accually hit your son????
Report his ass.You'll be doing Cape Cod a favor by getting his FFL taken away.

Regrettably there is no way that the PD will do anything to him or for this person (Father). The PDs down there are too beholden to this shop for taking all the confiscated guns off their hands and will do nothing to potentially hurt that enterprise . . . they can't afford to. I understand that he has the only bonded warehouse on the Cape.

Filing a civil complaint for damages is another thing altogether and should at least be investigated and an attorney consulted.

How does the bonded warehouse work?
LE brings him confiscated firearms? He then sells them?

Also, other than Goose Hummock, what's the closest competition Powderhorn even off cape that you would recommend?

How does the bonded warehouse work?
LE brings him confiscated firearms? He then sells them?
LE calls warehouse; warehouse picks up guns. Warehouse dictates service fee for pickup, storage and redemption with no state regulation or oversight of the fees charged. If you have expensive and cheap guns you cannot bail out the expensive guns without also paying all fees on the cheap ones.

It's like having a car towed but the tow yard has state regulated rates and can't get away with "We can't meet you at the yard for a few days, storage fees will continue to accure until we can".

Warehouse places ad full of half-truths in the Mass Police Assn magazine implying that a PD could not return a firearm to the owner without getting an FFL and running a gun dealership out of the cop shop.

In short, it's a cross between legalized extortion and theft.

joey if your going down that way you may want to try Telephone: 413-592-5000 Ricky's gun room in chicopee MA, all military-----have not been there in years so CALL FIRST

joey if your going down that way you may want to try Telephone: 413-592-5000 Ricky's gun room in chicopee MA, all military-----have not been there in years so CALL FIRST

Umm.. Chicopee, MA is 3 hours away from the Powderhorn in Hyannis, MA... The only way one would be going "down there" and hit up "Ricky's Gun Room" is if he was coming from the VT line of Western, MA... The Powderhorn is on Cape Cod...

my bad,,,,,had a brain fart on that one. Sorry joey. I know your looking for military stuff joey so you could try the ricky's gun room if your going up that way.

I was in the Powderhorn when a guy came in to check his confiscated guns that were the result of a restraining order. Marc and his chronies did everything they could to start a confrontation with this guy. I could see that they had cameras neatly hidden. What a scam - Piss the guy off and keep his guns.

Very Interesting reading through some of these threads, I may be able to provide a fresh perspective as a relatively new gun owner. The Cape has little choice in where to purchase firearms, ammunition and accessories therefore while Powderhorn may seem fairly convenient to the most of us who live there, that's where the benefit ends. Most of their prices seem substantially higher than other "local" shops listed on the forums and while I can put that aside for the most part their attitudes seems to be the most lacking. While shopping for my first firearm I was a little unsure as to how to maintain it, break it down etc... I wasn't looking for an in depth training just a little insight and basically was just brushed aside for the folks looking at more expensive pieces. Subsequent trips yielded the same "what do want" kind of mentality going up to my last visit where I waited with a box in of ammo in my hand at the cash register while two clerks talked ignoring my presence until I interrupted them. With that being said I have had exceedingly better experiences at Plymouth Bay Outfitters and The Sportmans Den who seem more interested in my patronage and will most likely frequent them to buy supplies.

Its too bad the location is great I just wish the customer service wasn't such a turn off.

OK..........eating some crow. I defended the guy in a past post and now must recant. After spending $3000.00++ there (me and two of my sons) I was told by Marc (quite some time ago....maybe a year ago) that the primer shortage was over. I suggested to him that he was either drunk or high which began a verbal spew that pissed me off to a fairtheewell. I returned about a month or two later (out of necessity only) and was accused by Marc for being a "trouble maker". I refreshed his memory about suggesting that the primer shortage was over. He flat out denied saying it and huffed off. Jerry, one of the good guys there gave me a wink as to say that Marc is a BS artist extraordinaire. Like others, I've witnessed verbal abuse to customers and down right insults. Defies logic that he's still in business. The only thing I can think of is that he's just about the only show in town. Were there one bit of competition, I believe he'd be gone in a flash.

Not for not, but if you were to come into my business - especially if it were one as closely regulated and overseen as a firearms retailer - and suggest I was drunk or high, "troublemaker" would be among the mildest categories I'd relegate you to.

I've heard stories here, but I've never felt taken advantage of there. I just bought an LCR there that I probably could have got a slightly better price on at another shop in MA that I like - but the fuel and travel cost would have negated it before I even got to the bridge. Plus, when I walk into a shop and I'm greeted by name, asked where I've been, how I'm doing, how the kids are, I'm not inclined to spend $40 in fuel and 3.5 hours to save $20 or so. Looking at nothing but numbers, it just doesn't make sense.

Spent far more time browsing than buying in that shop, and I've never seen any customer treated more harshly than being politely asked not to handle firearms if not licensed (and that's on the P.R. of Mass., not the shops located therein) Except the owner getting a bit wound up when it struck me to get him a bit wound up about AR sights[smile] (Hey, I get bored sometimes too)

Powderhorn high prices

Just like many previous reviewers, I can attest to the atrociously high prices at Powderhorn. I decided to purchase a S&W M&P 15-22 and had offers from 2 other Massachusetts firearms dealers to sell this model @ $400. I called Powderhorn, since they are local, and their price quoted was $530!! I said that if they would match the $400. price from the other two merchants, I would purchase from them instead. They had no interest in lowering the price whatsoever. So, yesterday I purchased that rifle from one of the other two dealers. And Powderhorn lost the sale.

If you're on Cape, check out Goose Hummock in. Sandy can order what you need and occasionally has some hard to get goodies. I will not give Powderhorn a dime of my money and don't even bother stopping in anymore.

Back
Top Bottom