The VA, my gun and me

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
I've been in the VA medical system with a service connected disability for 36 years but haven't needed anything for over 25.

I needed to get back in 'the system' and get some 'care' so I went for an appointment today at the Brockton Campus. A Campus, that's what they call it.

Coming up the driveway there is a sign:

"Dangerous weapons are prohibited at Federal Facilities. Please secure your weapon with the Police at their office inside Blg #3".

I went into the office and there was a 30ish cop behind a counter and the conversation went like this:

Me: Hi, The sign outside says I'm supposed to check my weapon here with you.
Him (standing abruptly, seeming edgy): Are you a police officer?
Me: No
Him: Are you a patient here?
Me: Outpatient. Would you like to see my ID? (I volunteered it to him.)
Him: You shouldn't have a weapon here at all as this is a Federal facility.
Me: The sign outside says I'm supposed to check my weapon here with you.
Him: You shouldn't have one here at all...anywhere on the grounds.

A door to an office opened and another cop came out (presumably the in charge guy) - in his 50's I'd guess.

He waved his finger at me and pointed to a small room with lock boxes and said, "Put it in box #1, lock it and keep the key until you come back."

I did, thanked him and went to my appointment.

When I came back after my appointment, I walked back in and the counter guy was all smiles and opened the door so I could retrieve my weapon.

I thanked him, wished him a good day and left.

I think he got a talking to...he was too smiley and polite.

Anyone else got stories that they might want to relay concerning places they went and the reception they got there?

I've been in the VA medical system with a service connected disability for 36 years but haven't needed anything for over 25.

I needed to get back in 'the system' and get some 'care' so I went for an appointment today at the Brockton Campus. A Campus, that's what they call it.

Coming up the driveway there is a sign:

"Dangerous weapons are prohibited at Federal Facilities. Please secure your weapon with the Police at their office inside Blg #3".

I went into the office and there was a 30ish cop behind a counter and the conversation went like this:

Me: Hi, The sign outside says I'm supposed to check my weapon here with you.
Him (standing abruptly, seeming edgy): Are you a police officer?
Me: No
Him: Are you a patient here?
Me: Outpatient. Would you like to see my ID? (I volunteered it to him.)
Him: You shouldn't have a weapon here at all as this is a Federal facility.
Me: The sign outside says I'm supposed to check my weapon here with you.
Him: You shouldn't have one here at all...anywhere on the grounds.

A door to an office opened and another cop came out (presumably the in charge guy) - in his 50's I'd guess.

He waved his finger at me and pointed to a small room with lock boxes and said, "Put it in box #1, lock it and keep the key until you come back."

I did, thanked him and went to my appointment.

When I came back after my appointment, I walked back in and the counter guy was all smiles and opened the door so I could retrieve my weapon.

I thanked him, wished him a good day and left.

I think he got a talking to...he was too smiley and polite.

Anyone else got stories that they might want to relay concerning places they went and the reception they got there?

Technically, you AREN'T supposed to have one there. The check box is for police officers. I pushed the issue once and they dragged out the regs. Whether it breaks any laws, I don't know, however it is against regulations for many facilities like that.

That being said, most of them don't care and just check it.

Technically, you AREN'T supposed to have one there. The check box is for police officers. I pushed the issue once and they dragged out the regs. Whether it breaks any laws, I don't know, however it is against regulations for many facilities like that.

That being said, most of them don't care and just check it.
Hopefully, the older officer pointed out that Pilgrim was a VETERAN who needed medical assistance, and to shut up and soldier and be respectful to the older soldier and not be a regulation-quoting weenie.

Every once in a while, we all need a reality check.

Technically, you AREN'T supposed to have one there. The check box is for police officers.

Then why doesn't the sign say "Weapons prohibited on federal property. Turn around, go home, lock it up, come back."? It doesn't say that but directs people to a specific building to secure their weapons.

I'd think that they run into this fairly often as a number of police officers are also vets and some no doubt get care at the VA.

Gary

Then why doesn't the sign say "Weapons prohibited on federal property. Turn around, go home, lock it up, come back."? It doesn't say that but directs people to a specific building to secure their weapons.

I'd think that they run into this fairly often as a number of police officers are also vets and some no doubt get care at the VA.

Gary

Also it didn't say "Leo's can check their weapons inside, peons need to go home ."

Ross, I hope you're right.

Gary

hey, I don't make the rules. I only challenge them then get shown the rules.

I also got a message "No weapons on Federal facility" when checking in Natick Army base security. I did not carry anything, but they found a folder knife in my car and placed it in a bin where I needed to get it when checking out. I guess that's the rule.

I also got a message "No weapons on Federal facility" when checking in Natick Army base security. I did not carry anything, but they found a folder knife in my car and placed it in a bin where I needed to get it when checking out. I guess that's the rule.
They'll let you have an M16, but heaven forbid you have a Buck knife. [rolleyes]

Brockton must be exception you can't do that at West Roxbury.

My guess is, not much different. But I think as was said, the older LEO most likely told the younger one to STFU and give some respect for someone that has served his country.

Brockton sucks when it comes to guns... they are rather anti in the PD they younger they get.

You gotta love the mentality of the person who posted the sign....

The honest man will comply and go check his gun. Of course, the honest man would never be a problem and isn't someone you would have to worry about.

The dishonest man would ignore the sign and would be the one you need to worry about.

I wonder just how many sheep actually feel safer because of the sign?

The rules mentioned are just BS that some anti-gun nerd wrote years ago and which are carried over into just about EVERY set of regs at every federal facility.

The Feds even require such language in company regs where government work is done by finding fault with regs that do not have these restrictions. Sometimes gun owners seem to ignore them and keep their guns in their cars so they can go to the club to shoot on the way home.

I hate that rule. Can't stand it when I have to leave my Glock at home when I go to Togus. Augusta has so many dirtbags that I don't even like going there when I am armed much less defenseless. Togus doesn't offer an option to turn your firearm in to security.
As gunowners we should push for a federal law stating something like:
"Any building/facility which does not allow private possession of fireams shall provide secure storage upon entrance to area. It shall be unlawful to prohibit private possession of firearms if the safe-storage rule cannot be followed. Furthermore, in those buildings/facilities where private possession is not allowed, the owner/manager/lessee who prohibits private possession, is fully responsible for the safety of those entering area until they're return to the "free" side upon their exit."

Back
Top Bottom