• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

the wind farm

What is goal's stance on the windfarm? it's not posted on their site, and I don't get their emails(for some reason). Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it, and people need to grow up. This NIMBY mentality is why we got into as much of an energy mess as we are in. If there were more nuclear reactors, we'd be paying PENNIES for electricity, but instead we're paying tons. This windfarm would help solve some problems.

What is goal's stance on the windfarm? it's not posted on their site, and I don't get their emails(for some reason). Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it, and people need to grow up. This NIMBY mentality is why we got into as much of an energy mess as we are in. If there were more nuclear reactors, we'd be paying PENNIES for electricity, but instead we're paying tons. This windfarm would help solve some problems.

"Environmentalist" Hypocrite Ted Kennedy was against it....which makes me absolutely in favor of it.

It's funny, all these environmentalists want us not to burn oil/coal/gas....but whenever alternatives like nuclear/wind or solar is brought up. The projects will cause some tree frog harm, or some bird to fall out of the sky so we can't do them. It's evident to me that Al Gore's house uses 19 times the energy mine does, Nancy Pelosi's specially chartered plane uses more fuel in a week than my car uses in a year. All these aholes are fat and happy where they are, they just want us peons to drive scooters and sit in our homes with the heat on 45 degrees instead of actually doing something to fix the problem.

They can suck a bat....when they stop being hypocrites is when I'll stop cutting cordwood and turning my thermostat up where I like it. It'll never happen, they are a bunch of do nothing phony's.......

Last edited:

Well... distribution is still more than half the cost, so even if generation were free, the power bill would only halve unless we could improve the networks somehow as well. More nuclear plants in more places might help, but it wouldn't be a miraculous cure or anything. Still, it would be way better, as even the former head of Greenpeace agrees.

Is anyone else as surprised as I am to get an email from GOAL about the wind farms?

Bill

You are not the only one who noticed apparently. I communicated with GOAL over this as well. The issue GOAL members are supposed to have over it was not well communicated by Jim in his email out to the membership. It is over the fast tracking process which could be abused to close off hunting areas or close gun clubs if sites are chosen in those locations. So the opposition is not to the wind farms, but to the fast track permitting Deval wants to put in place.

There's something creepily awesome about wind farms. At least the big ones in west Texas.

You haven't seen wind farms until you see the dutch and belgium country side along the german border. Massive stretches of them for miles.

You haven't seen wind farms until you see the dutch and belgium country side along the german border. Massive stretches of them for miles.

True - I've seen them, they are impressive.

So why in this country do we tend to suggest to put turbines off the cost of the Cape, or on the Empire State building? Why cant we put them on the sides of the roads in remote-ish places? Do we think wind farms will gain traction in the US if we want to put them in the most scenic places we can think of?

They put them in areas that have been tested and proven to have very high and consistent winds. If that is offshore of Teddies hyannis retreat, so be it...that is where nature put the wind.

The trick is to find where there are large population or manufacturing electricity needs, find the closest areas to them where there is high and consistent wind, and put them there.

Alongside "roads" would not make sense, unless the road is along a ridge line, along the seashore, or unless the turbine tower was 500' tall.

True - I've seen them, they are impressive.

So why in this country do we tend to suggest to put turbines off the cost of the Cape, or on the Empire State building? Why cant we put them on the sides of the roads in remote-ish places? Do we think wind farms will gain traction in the US if we want to put them in the most scenic places we can think of?

We do put them in those places. But it's a blue state/red state political issue. Blue states are heavily populated and the bluer parts of those states tend to be so as well. Blue states are leading the charge on renewables production. Siting a turbine in or around urban areas is a PITA. Plus, from an efficiency perspective, a turbine out in open water will generate more energy than one even on the coast. The natural temperature differential over water and lack of barriers means a very good environment for wind turbines.

I'm against closing the waters between the cape and islands to put up a wind farm - you think getting to the airport gate is tough? try fishing near the airport waters...

wind power should be placed close to the load it serves - the footprint of the equipment etc. are a consideration.

Jim spoke at our club last week. The issue is our govenor is pushing to have protected open space all over the state open to wind farms. I don't have to tell you the impact on wildlife, hunting, etc.

I'm against closing the waters between the cape and islands to put up a wind farm - you think getting to the airport gate is tough? try fishing near the airport waters...

wind power should be placed close to the load it serves - the footprint of the equipment etc. are a consideration.

Unless some DB decides to pull the security card, the only boats that area needs to be closed from are large trawlers. Pleasure craft should be able to navigate just fine there.

I just plain don't believe wind power belongs out at sea. I suppose if you throw enough money at a project then anything is possible. The engineering of this and the construction would seem to be of a very high magnitude along with the transmission costs. Dealing with the corrsiveness of the salt air and water is one thing. These machines need maintenance and upkeep which will be much more difficult and expensive on the water. Any damage from hurricane force winds could be catastrophic and the cleanup and repair costs would be tremendous.

Color me confused, but why would an organization called the 'Gun Owners Action League' have any opinion on wind farms? Maybe the more relevent question would be why would anyone care that GOAL had an opinion on wind farms?

Q:
Color me confused, but why would an organization called the 'Gun Owners Action League' have any opinion on wind farms? Maybe the more relevent question would be why would anyone care that GOAL had an opinion on wind farms?

A:
It is over the fast tracking process which could be abused to close off hunting areas or close gun clubs if sites are chosen in those locations. So the opposition is not to the wind farms, but to the fast track permitting Deval wants to put in place.

Last edited:

Yes that was my question too and thanks to the couple of people who have responded about hunting access.
Ditto concerns about a bike path somewhere on the north shore that splits a popular hunting area.

I would just think, if saner heads prevail neither project should impact hunting that much. Ya I know in this state.....

Bill

Reading comprehension. Use it.

I can't wait to bid on these things!! [grin]

There are more on the planning boards now than people realize.

We have the following under contract:

We're putting one up in Scituate, next to the treatment plant.
One in Blandford, at the rest stop.
Two in plymouth at the treatment plant,
Three in Plymouth on County land off Rt 3.
One in Templeton at the HS.
One in Falmouth at the treatment plant
One on Rt99 in Charlestown at the MWRA plant

These are all 1.65MW machines on 80M towers.

and two 100kw's at the treatment plant in Hyannis (100ft towers)

lost the Ipswich bid today.... [sad2]

In 2008, the Commonwealth had 6MW of wind installed, today it has 14.5MW....we did 6.9MW of that number. Now we have another 16.5MW to install this year. [cheers]

oh, two in Fairhaven....forgot

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom