There are two types of range officers.

The type who notice someone at the gate 4 minutes before it opens and let you in with a comment to leave everything cased until the official start time. Then there's the type who notice someone at the gate 4 minutes before it opens and yell from 30 feet away "It opens in 5 minutes".

Ran into both types this week. Anyone want to guess which one got an offer to help clean up?

I always thought the 2 types of range officers were the ones that used to be cops and can't stand that people aren't forced to listen to them anymore so they volunteer to be range policemen, and then the ones that always wanted to be cops but were always physically unfit to get through the academy.

Guess I was wrong :(

Better club experience: you and some other member who happened to be early set your crap up on the line and a few targets and chat while sipping coffee until the allowed time happens and then just self police and shoot like adults.

I, and several people that I knew, left a club because of a jerk RSO. One guy was fine, as has been described, and the other, although he had his moments, was ok. The jerk envisioned himself as a little Cesear.

Lol i wouldn't be a member at either place. Better clubs tend to treat their members like adults.
sounds like the OP may have shown up to shoot a match at a neighboring club.

There are also 2 Kinds of shooters......... Those that stay and help break down a match regardless of how it went.............. and those that take off mad as soon as they are done

Public ranges absolutely need RSOs. How many dipshits have you seen at a public range bring their girlfriends with zero experience with any guns, put a handgun with a full mag in their hands, step back and watch them pop their cherry shots? They squeal in delight as they miss every shot, sometimes hitting the ground and then you proceed to get muzzle swept with their finger on trigger of a still loaded pistol while the bf snaps pictures for the girl's insta story? You don't really see that retarded shit too much around here but back when I used to live in Indiana and shot at the Atterbury public range every other weekend, there were definitely some muppets.

Better club experience: you and some other member who happened to be early set your crap up on the line and a few targets and chat while sipping coffee until the allowed time happens and then just self police and shoot like adults.
Yep, both of my clubs are like this. [thumbsup]

sounds like the OP may have shown up to shoot a match at a neighboring club.

There are also 2 Kinds of shooters......... Those that stay and help break down a match regardless of how it went.............. and those that take off mad as soon as they are done
And the ones who make a friggen mess and don't clean up after themselves

Public ranges absolutely need RSOs. How many dipshits have you seen at a public range bring their girlfriends with zero experience with any guns, put a handgun with a full mag in their hands, step back and watch them pop their cherry shots? They squeal in delight as they miss every shot, sometimes hitting the ground and then you proceed to get muzzle swept with their finger on trigger of a still loaded pistol while the bf snaps pictures for the girl's insta story? You don't really see that retarded shit too much around here but back when I used to live in Indiana and shot at the Atterbury public range every other weekend, there were definitely some muppets.
A pay range is a different environment than a private club.

It's pretty obvious which one the op is talking about here

Agreed! I've been to ranges like that in other states, too.

The point of joining a club, though, is you're not supposed to have to worry about those kinds of dipshits. So you apply, you go through the process, and you pay through the nose to shoot.

That should mean you and the others in the club are mature enough not to need RSOs. When I was casting about for clubs to join, I read the bylaws and didn't consider clubs whose ranges required RSOs. I'm all set with that nonsense, thanks.

A pay range is a different environment than a private club.

It's pretty obvious which one the op is talking about here
Not sure about that..... every private club I am a member of I have gate access to open up myself

I belong to two clubs.

One club has it so you can become what they call an “RO”. It’s basically a range safety course but they give you an RO card. They prefer you take the course as they want all the members to be an RO. That way you can use the ranges yourself.

If you are not an RO you can’t use the range if an RO is not there. But you can use the range if an RO is there but you have to leave when the RO does.

There is no scheduled RO duty.

The other club you just take the range safety course and you can use the ranges.

No RO's are allowed at my club, people that try and be a self imposed range officer have been ousted from the club.

Fudds who try and limit rapid fire and full auto fire, or holster work, have been known to be ousted from the club or out voted at meetings.

On the other hand, people that are stupid about things (shoot at range poles, and shoot at something that's not steel, paper, or clay target, or make a habit of shooting outside of posted hours) are going to be purged as well.

Last edited:
The point of joining a club, though, is you're not
supposed to have to worry about those kinds of dipshits. So you apply, you go through the process, and you pay through the nose to shoot.
While the above is true, I've never felt like I paid thru the nose ever to shoot......ever. I mean if I do hours at my club, the price of being a member cost me 60 dollars a year. I probably average 50 to 100 hours a year at my club as well. But I only need to do 12. Just did 4 today to put up an elevated archery stand at the archery range.....will do more tomorrow working skeet fields. Big deal.

The same people that think they are paying alot also bitch about having to do like 8 hours a year......its a fxcking joke.

I mean i get it if your joe "two box" a year, who just comes to sight in for deer season once a year, I kinda used to be that guy when I was more into archery than guns.......still, I never bitched............but really.....any member that shoots a lot cannot bitch about spending 60 -120 dollars a year and doing a few hours for membership.

Thats barely the price of admission for nearly any 2 hour sporting event nowadays. GMAFB.

Last edited:
Not sure about that..... every private club I am a member of I have gate access to open up myself

Pay ranges typically don't expect customers to clean up or give guests that kind of sass.

The type who notice someone at the gate 4 minutes before it opens and let you in with a comment to leave everything cased until the official start time. Then there's the type who notice someone at the gate 4 minutes before it opens and yell from 30 feet away "It opens in 5 minutes".

Ran into both types this week. Anyone want to guess which one got an offer to help clean up?
Third type = the type that doesn't exist because the club doesn't s*ck.

How many public ranges in MA?

Public ranges are a dumpster fire everywhere. No way I would want to have some f*cking idiot shooting next to me. This also happens at.gun clubs, but st least the idiots have to put some effort into going through the membership process.

Agreed! I've been to ranges like that in other states, too.

The point of joining a club, though, is you're not supposed to have to worry about those kinds of dipshits. So you apply, you go through the process, and you pay through the nose to shoot.

That should mean you and the others in the club are mature enough not to need RSOs. When I was casting about for clubs to join, I read the bylaws and didn't consider clubs whose ranges required RSOs. I'm all set with that nonsense, thanks.
Pay through the nose?

Most ranges are less than $300. That is $25/month. Not a huge deal and I have yet to go to a range that is crowded.

Compare that to many places in FL, they want you to pay the $300 + you need to book time in advance + some still want you to pay a reduced daily fee. LMAO. A place like FL has no good gun ranges on the West coast below Tampa. I have done my research.

Last edited:
Pay through the nose?

Most ranges are less than $300. That is $25/month. Not a huge deal and I have yet to go to a range that is crowded.

Compare that to many places in FL, they want you to pay the $300 + you need to book time in advance + some still want you to pay a reduced daily fee. LMAO. A place like FL has no good gun ranges on the West coast below Tampa. I habe done my research.

I wasn't complaining. I was comparing to other ranges I used to shoot at in other states. A typical range fee was about $5 per visit, and it's not like I'm shooting several times a week. I'd go out once a month or so, and that's why I had sticker shock when I moved here and had to pay $150 plus a "initiation fee."

Compared to those ranges, I feel like I'm paying for NOT having to rely on an RSO. That's the context of that comment. And I don't mind paying for it, but if I had to deal with stupid crap like the OP is talking about, I would mind.

I wasn't complaining. I was comparing to other ranges I used to shoot at in other states. A typical range fee was about $5 per visit, and it's not like I'm shooting several times a week. I'd go out once a month or so, and that's why I had sticker shock when I moved here and had to pay $150 plus a "initiation fee."

Compared to those ranges, I feel like I'm paying for NOT having to rely on an RSO. That's the context of that comment. And I don't mind paying for it, but if I had to deal with stupid crap like the OP is talking about, I would mind.
Yes, if it is only $5 and you go once per month, it is a good deal.

This.

There’s a third kind: the kind your club doesn’t require you to have present for you to shoot. That’s the kind my range has.
Our club requires an range officer to be present and if one is not then YOU are the range officer until an ''official'' one shows up. You know, because we are all members of the same club.

"Hey buddy, you have to wait 5 Seconds between each shot and you can only load eight rounds in your magazine"

Decades ago we were members of Danvers Fish and Game. Talk about range Nazis. They would get the old retired guys there during the day during the week and run it like a little fifedom.

Back
Top Bottom