• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

There are two types of range officers.

I left Danvers years ago because of the range officers. Several times I showed up to shoot and they were a no-show. Unacceptable to not be able to shoot at a private club you pay money to be a member of.
I literally don't understand how anyone can be a member of Danvers. Even if I lived nextdoor I still wouldn't be a member.

I joined a club that was 65 miles away, turns out its the nicest group of people I have shot with.. There are exceptions but they shoot on Saturdays so I dont see any of them. I shot indoor pistol league during the winter and actually look forward to seeing the people I shoot with. Have made good friends and they are generous beyond belief..

I literally don't understand how anyone can be a member of Danvers. Even if I lived nextdoor I still wouldn't be a member.
It's too bad cuz it's actually a pretty nice club. I'll also add I haven't personally had a problem or saw an RO acting like a Richard. My only beef was the several no shows when the range is scheduled to be open. Taking time off work unpaid to go shoot and then showing up to a closed range is not fun.

How well one gets along within a community and with the 'authorities' in that community is, in the long term, up to the individual. A stick-in-the-mud R.O. will either chill when he or she learn's over time you're safe and contributing or you won't be the only one who gets grief from them with no cause and they'll eventually get gone. Even if you pay high fees, you're still part of a community and you can choose to be a net benefit to the community or a net cost.

I think most club’s membership numbers are vastly overstated. I think they include anyone who has a lifetime membership even if their lifetime has ended or are no longer going at all.

It would be interesting to see the actual stats available from clubs that have gates and other automated monitoring.

I have memberships to 2 clubs and have been thinking about another. I haven’t been to the one club in probably 2 years

Yes hard to believe out of 2k paying members on club cleanup day we had maybe 50 - 60 people and 10 or 15 of them were new members looking to put in the work requirements to join.

I'm not trying to BS you. I never said I did all the work but there are about 20 to 40 people who do 90+% of the work and maintenance and I'm one of them. Believe me or not but I'm pretty much done discussing this. I've busted my ass for years for WSA and I don't have to defend myself to anyone.
I'm not going to argue with your work ethic, more to the contrary...I'm actually more agreeing with you. Not sure why you can't see that, seems you have a big chip on your shoulder..... You do a lot of work at a club that takes in a butt load of money, and kinda asking why do they have you working so hard??? Seems to me you should have a lot of money to off load basic stuff, not have you doing it. Really all I meant.

But you have contradicted yourself........you said you didn't have a shitty membership base. 2K people and only 1-2% of your members doing any work reads "shitty membership base" to me all day long.

We have 250 members and have 40 active people or more, which is nearly 15%, and a membership budget ten times less than yours, still have full equipment for use, to maintain the property and grounds. We don't have an indoor range, which I will agree is a money suck.

I avoid clubs with work requirements (and fudd RO’s). I’m paying to come in and shoot and be left alone, not to be someone’s free laborer or talk about our kids schools with the guy two tables down just because we both like to shoot. I clean up after myself when I’m done and I don’t break things while I’m there.

I doubt I’m alone in that thinking and it’s also not trying to be a jerk or anything. Some people enjoy that interaction on their days off, some people don’t.

I avoid clubs with work requirements (and fudd RO’s). I’m paying to come in and shoot and be left alone, not to be someone’s free laborer or talk about our kids schools with the guy two tables down just because we both like to shoot. I clean up after myself when I’m done and I don’t break things while I’m there.

I doubt I’m alone in that thinking and it’s also not trying to be a jerk or anything. Some people enjoy that interaction on their days off, some people don’t.
I was a member of two clubs like that for the same reason when I was younger, still am a member of them actually....no work hours and cheap dues, no RO's. Only reason I stay really.

I'm older with more free time, joined the third that has more land and a bit better stuff, has hours, but I don't mind being more into the club now, and like a lot of the guys that are there.

But no one should blamed or shamed because they just want to pay and shoot, be left alone, and not deal with bullshit politics, or work for hours. I was that guy for a long time, when family, raising kids and working on the house was 100% priority, and a gun range wasn't even in the scope of what i cared about.

Last edited:
I think most club’s membership numbers are vastly overstated. I think they include anyone who has a lifetime membership even if their lifetime has ended or are no longer going at all.

It would be interesting to see the actual stats available from clubs that have gates and other automated monitoring.
The one Im active at reviews that stuff every few years and updates it. We also have a lot of lifetime members that still pay their yearly dues, even though they don't have to.

I used to be an RSO until the NRA played games with my cert and I told them to go screw after like 15 years of having it.

They could find me on a deserted island to send them money to be a Golden Eagle or spend $60 on a $10 knife but couldn’t figure out how to send me an email or letter my Cert was expiring. Then they are like eh send us another $100. Nah.

Anyway, with all things Ego is the enemy.

If there is a need for a RO, that range is more than likely not a place to be at! Many years ago, my range NEEDED to have a RO present for the weekends. I quickly saw why, packed up, and vowed never again to go on a weekend! I also learned to avoid public ranges on weekends, school holidays, and school vacations, especially spring break! It is not enjoyable being around young twenty somethings and their girlfriends when they wave around and / or muzzle sweep you with fully loaded AR's and AK's!

The other statements regarding "respecting their knowledge and OH-thority" can be true also. There is nothing worse than receiving unwanted and unsolicited advice or dealing with someone on a power trip!
Honestly, at my club it's the disheveled boomers that are the worst muzzle sweepers. Nose picking 60 year old with a stained shirt is a guaranteed muzzle sweeper. [rofl]

Last edited:
Many years ago, my range NEEDED to have a RO present for the weekends. I quickly saw why, packed up, and vowed never again to go on a weekend! I also learned to avoid public ranges on weekends, school holidays, and school vacations, especially spring break!
I have the same attitude when it comes to Boat Launches. I will not go near one on the weekends.

Belligerent drunks prepping or unloading their boats right on the ramp, people cutting in line, sailboats stepping their masts on the ramp, blocking the ramp while they load their coolers, you will see it all.

Not as bad as an AR or AK muzzle sweep. But boat Launches or rifle ranges on a weekend, no thanks. :(

We've had some good guys and some bad one's .
It was to the point a while back that I didn't want to take new shooters there because they would get the idea the whole gun community was overbearing , chest puffing dicks .
I still don't because the last time was just straight up an embarrassment. It's a damn shame too, we should be getting new folks into the sport instead of running them away.
If you see a rules violation , call it out , otherwise back the f*ck off and let people enjoy what precious little recreational time they have.

Lol i wouldn't be a member at either place. Better clubs tend to treat their members like adults.

I let my membership at one range lapse; because they wouldn't stop harassing me for using silhouette targets.

Back then I worked in Law Enforcement (which I did for over 32 years).

The club manager said I could use silhouette targets; and said to say I was practicing for work qualifications, when questioned.

Which I always did; but was still harassed every time I used them.

They were standard Q targets, that look like a bottle, more than a person.

Some range officers sure have there tighty whities, bunched up and two damn small.

I am a former firearms dealer and an instructor... The only thing I care about on the line is everyone being "safe".

I don't give two shits about target type, silly t-shirts or any of the nonsense. Just follow the normal rules:

1). Keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction, (don't point it at things you are not shooting at)

2). Finger off the trigger till you intend on pulling it.

3). A big one most forget: understand your trajectory, make sure what's behind your target will not be an issue.

It seems nowadays common sense is not so common.

A good alternative: participation in range work days earns a discount on membership.

Otherwise, pay the full dues, show up and shoot and clean up after yourself.

I'd choose that option.

I let my membership at one range lapse; because they wouldn't stop harassing me for using silhouette targets.

Back then I worked in Law Enforcement (which I did for over 32 years).

The club manager said I could use silhouette targets; and said to say I was practicing for work qualifications, when questioned.

Which I always did; but was still harassed every time I used them.

They were standard Q targets, that look like a bottle, more than a person.

Some range officers sure have there tighty whities, bunched up and two damn small.

I am a former firearms dealer and an instructor... The only thing I care about on the line is everyone being "safe".

I don't give two shits about target type, silly t-shirts or any of the nonsense. Just follow the normal rules:

1). Keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction, (don't point it at things you are not shooting at)

2). Finger off the trigger till you intend on pulling it.

3). A big one most forget: understand your trajectory, make sure what's behind your target will not be an issue.

It seems nowadays common sense is not so common.
Holy lord....there are ranges and RO's out there that care about what's on a paper target, or the shape of a steel target????

WTF....only in MA......could a "gun" guy be that fxcking retarded.

I mean, we shoot steel of any shape, zombie paper targets, bad guy targets, hostage targets with actual people pictures on them, .....what in the fxck? Its a piece of paper with a picture on it.

A good alternative: participation in range work days earns a discount on membership.

Otherwise, pay the full dues, show up and shoot and clean up after yourself.

I'd choose that option.

This is how my club is run. I have no problem with it. I'm sure the same people end up showing up again and again to all the work parties, and they might feel differently than I do. But I don't mind paying the extra when it's not convenient for me to head in and dig ditches.

Holy lord....there are ranges and RO's out there that care about what's on a paper target, or the shape of a steel target????
WTF....only in MA......could a "gun" guy be that fxcking retarded.
and good morning to you too. :)

there was a whole fuss about it, when ranges get that license shit to allow their fudds to store guns on premises, and THEN the regulations require them to RO and forbid human-like targets - and that it when all the ROs get ballistic on what resembles the human and not (as, obviously - EVERYTHING resembles a human, if you do wish it enough to be so).

as that is how an average human looks like:

1685022433278.png

and good morning to you too. :)

there was a whole fuss about it, when ranges get that license shit to allow their fudds to store guns on premises, and THEN the regulations require them to RO and forbid human-like targets - and that it when all the ROs get ballistic on what resembles the human and not (as, obviously - EVERYTHING resembles a human, if you do wish it enough to be so).

as that is how an average human looks like:

View attachment 756100
Is that an actual law regarding the storage 'licenses'? Only for MA?

i am too lazy to search for a detailed correct post on that issue... there was a whole thread about it somewhere here on nes, i tried to search but it did not come up.
that prohibited targets fuss was discussed there quite a bit.

TL;DR: there is a LTC for clubs that prohibits the use of human targets at their ranges.

There is (to my knowledge) one club in MA that has the LTC. All clubs with this type of rule gave it to themselves, while only one of them has anything approaching a legal justification.

TL;DR: there is a LTC for clubs that prohibits the use of human targets at their ranges.

There is (to my knowledge) one club in MA that has the LTC. All clubs with this type of rule gave it to themselves, while only one of them has anything approaching a legal justification.

Why would any club want that LTC?

IMHO a club LTC is a liability anyway......

a fudds club has a multitude of reasons, really. a normal club - none.
sales, rents, on-site storage, etc. none of shit most regular people would ever need, but, for a fudd who does not want to drive with scary GUNS - sure, makes sense.

I'm not a member of said club and mine doesn't do silly things like that. I can't say.

so here's the law:
Section 131: Licenses to carry firearms; conditions and restrictions said:
(b) The colonel of state police may, after an investigation, grant a license to a club or facility with an on-site shooting range or gallery, which club is incorporated under the laws of the commonwealth for the possession, storage and use of large capacity weapons, ammunition therefor and large capacity feeding devices for use with such weapons on the premises of the club; provided, however, that not less than 1 shareholder of the club shall be qualified and suitable to be issued a license; and provided further, that such large capacity weapons and ammunition feeding devices may be used under the club license only by a member that possesses a valid firearm identification card issued pursuant to section 129B or a valid license to carry firearms, or by such other person that the club permits while under the direct supervision of a certified firearms safety instructor or club member who, in the case of a large capacity firearm, possesses a valid license to carry firearms or, in the case of a large capacity rifle or shotgun, possesses a valid license to carry firearms. The club shall not permit shooting at targets that depict human figures, human effigies, human silhouettes or any human images thereof, except by public safety personnel performing in line with their official duties.

[ Second paragraph of paragraph (b) as amended by 2022, 175, Sec. 6 effective August 10, 2022. ]

No large capacity weapon or large capacity feeding device shall be removed from the premises except to: (i) transfer the firearm or feeding device to a licensed dealer; (ii) transport the firearm or feeding device to a licensed gunsmith for repair; (iii) target, trap or skeet shoot on the premises of another club incorporated under the laws of the commonwealth and to transport thereto; (iv) attend an exhibition or educational project or event that is sponsored by, conducted under the supervision of or approved by a public law enforcement agency or a nationally or state recognized entity that promotes proficiency in or education about semiautomatic weapons and to transport thereto and therefrom; (v) hunt pursuant to chapter 131; or (vi) surrender the firearm or feeding device pursuant to section 129D. Any large capacity weapon or large capacity feeding device kept on the premises of a lawfully incorporated shooting club shall, when not in use, be secured in a locked container and shall be unloaded during any lawful transport. The clerk or other corporate officer of the club shall annually file a report with the colonel of state police and the commissioner of the department of criminal justice information services listing all large capacity weapons and large capacity feeding devices owned or possessed under the license. The colonel or a designee may inspect all firearms owned or possessed by the club upon request during regular business hours and the colonel may revoke or suspend a club license for a violation of this chapter or chapter 269 relative to the ownership, use or possession of large capacity weapons or large capacity feeding devices.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom