• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

There is fast then there is Eusebio

omwe.gif

Damn. Takes me twice that time to do Smoke and Hope with my 1911[laugh].

I would love to learn how to transition that fast and accurate...

Damn. Takes me twice that time to do Smoke and Hope with my 1911[laugh].

I would love to learn how to transition that fast and accurate...

I wish I had my match results breakdowns written down because I know I've hit close to that with my 1911 at Smoke & Hope. All I have is the overall times.

I wish I had my match results breakdowns written down because I know I've hit close to that with my 1911 at Smoke & Hope. All I have is the overall times.

REALLY???

https://steelchallenge.com/steel-challenge-world-records.php

Men's Steel Challenge World Records
StageCompetitor NameTimeYearAverage
PendulumMax Michel Jr.10.0720082.52
RoundaboutMax Michel Jr.7.9620111.99
ShowdownKC Eusebio7.9920112.00
Five To GoMax Michel Jr.9.5820072.39
Speed OptionKC Eusebio9.7320102.43
Smoke & HopeKC Eusebio7.3920041.84
Outer LimitsBJ Norris11.1420083.71
AcceleratorMax Michel Jr.8.9420072.23

REALLY???

Yeah that's really good if you're at or below 2 seconds for S&H.

If you run transitions drills like that specific one, you don't "aim".

First plate you come up starting on the left edge, not center Pull trigger when you see edge while moving to right.

Pull trigger on second when you see edge (not center) and keep moving at same speed.

Sweep to right target RIGHT EDGE and reverse transition firing as you switch directions.

Fire at right edge of 4th and right edge of center trying to stop the rifle in the center of the target.

Doing this allows you to fire while moving the rifle at a standard pace with simple visual cues to fire upon. It should not be confused with "indexing" the targets or "transitioning"

You are training yourself to complete that specific drill in a specific way that has very little to do with real world target acquisition.

The speed is impressive when you see it in a canned video. It's not nearly as impressive when you see everyone else doing it under 2 seconds and understanding you can get good at any drill you train to do repeatedly.

It is an example. KC is fast and not just at this drill, this stage is an example of that speed.

I agree that Steel Challenge is contrived based on the know courses which is what this video reflects. I could post plenty of videos when he also shot fast on targets in transition and multiple engagements.

You know, if we wanted a thread like that.

I wasn't questioning this particular shooter's skill level in any way. Andrew made a comment about learning how to transition, which is kind of where my response was aimed at.

Not poo pooing 7.11 but I just shot the NJ state S&H in 7.44 with my PCC. It's not about one stage the impressiveness if that's a word is doing it well over 8 stages. He's that fast and accurate over all stages . In the 60's with PCC is awesome. I wonder when he will get into the 50's with RFPO?

Jessie Duff posted a video of her shooting S&H at the Georgia SC Championship with her Taurus. She had a couple runs that were 1.93 seconds. What. A. Babe.

I think my best run on Smoke and Hope is around 1.8 with my rimfire open blaster. I can't do it with anywhere near the consistency of KC though, maybe one run out of 5 if I'm lucky

If you run transitions drills like that specific one, you don't "aim".

First plate you come up starting on the left edge, not center Pull trigger when you see edge while moving to right.

Pull trigger on second when you see edge (not center) and keep moving at same speed.

Sweep to right target RIGHT EDGE and reverse transition firing as you switch directions.

Fire at right edge of 4th and right edge of center trying to stop the rifle in the center of the target.

Doing this allows you to fire while moving the rifle at a standard pace with simple visual cues to fire upon. It should not be confused with "indexing" the targets or "transitioning"

You are training yourself to complete that specific drill in a specific way that has very little to do with real world target acquisition.

The speed is impressive when you see it in a canned video. It's not nearly as impressive when you see everyone else doing it under 2 seconds and understanding you can get good at any drill you train to do repeatedly.

I bet you he is stopping the gun and not swing thru

Index away if that's how you want to do it/think about it. I don't teach new people to shoot that way because they tend to treat an index as too long of a time frame. If you watch the video closely he keeps moving. Whether he views the sight picture and trigger squeeze during decision making process as an index, that is moot to watching him execute the physical action.

REALLY???

LOL I meant close to what Andrew mentioned his times hovered around at smoke and hope with a 1911. ;)
Hold on I wrote down my times from smoke and hope tonight at Bass River...

Index away if that's how you want to do it/think about it. I don't teach new people to shoot that way because they tend to treat an index as too long of a time frame. If you watch the video closely he keeps moving. Whether he views the sight picture and trigger squeeze during decision making process as an index, that is moot to watching him execute the physical action.

He's stopping the rifle, for just enough time to break the shot

Smoke and Hope is where people think to themselves "just keep the gun moving and slap the trigger as the front sight passes the plate" and they proceed to miss and miss

Smoke and Hope is where people think to themselves "just keep the gun moving and slap the trigger as the front sight passes the plate" and they proceed to miss and miss

Wait, that's not what you're supposed to do?...

I'm not any where near as fast or accurate as the guys posting in this thread, and I've only had like 2 good runs at S&H in my entire life, but I would say on those two runs I was mentally and physically starting to break the shot before the dot was on the plate, but the dot was centered up on the plate and stopped for a fraction when the gun actually fired. I'd also say I'm not really sure, because on those 2 good runs? I pretty much just pulled the gun and started shooting when the buzzer went off without thinking too much about it.

REALLY???

I did some research,. 1.87 is my best single string time on smoke and Hope. (With a rimfire rifle). https://practiscore.com/results/html/e0fa6ac3-d53f-4a6e-853f-70f3029c2490?page=stage5Combined. Of course it was when my gun decided it didn't want to cycle any more, so the total stage time was shit. But steel challenge is about consistency.

I did some research,. 1.87 is my best single string time on smoke and Hope. (With a rimfire rifle). https://practiscore.com/results/html/e0fa6ac3-d53f-4a6e-853f-70f3029c2490?page=stage5Combined. Of course it was when my gun decided it didn't want to cycle any more, so the total stage time was shit. But steel challenge is about consistency.

You're a beast with that rifle.

Thanks for the link. Just saw my times and it looks like 2.85 was my best. I don't think I've been able to hit that again since[laugh]. Consistency is definitely what I struggle with....

Back
Top Bottom