• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

They Shall Not Grow Old

Peter Jackson (director of Lord of the Rings) has made a documentary about World War One with colorized footage and archival interviews.

It is going to have a limited US theatrical release, Dec 17 and Dec 27.

Anyone else going to see it? I have the 27th off, and I am planning on going to see it in 3D. I think the Great War gets overlooked too often.

They Shall Not Grow Old - Wikipedia

Tickets: Fathom Events | They Shall Not Grow Old

Jackson used forensic lipreaders to determine what was being said in the old black and white footage so you can now hear these men speak as well as see them in color.

I will go see it but contemplating WW1 makes me very down these days. An unnecessary war that led to further unspeakable tragedy. Without WW1 there would have been no Hitler for sure and very likely no Bolshevik Revolution and no Stalin either.

Last edited:
It's way better than that. Jackson used forensic lipreaders to determine what was being said in the old black and white footage so you can now hear these men speak as well as see them in color.

I will go see it but contemplating WW1 makes me very down these days. An unnecessary war that led to further unspeakable tragedy. Without WW1 there would have been no Hitler for sure and very likely no Bolshevik Revolution and no Stalin either.
And maybe no Spanish Flu either.

It's way better than that. Jackson used forensic lipreaders to determine what was being said in the old black and white footage so you can now hear these men speak as well as see them in color.

One could argue Hitler's rise was fueled by the fiscal policies of the allies after the war.

Pretty much every problem in the modern era traces back to WW1. It weakend western civ sufficiently to kill off classical liberalism and allow Marxism/Wilsonian Fascism/Bismarckian statism to grow on the corpse.

Downside to this film is pre No.4 Lee Enfield's are about to go waaaaay up in price.
Not sure about this, it's only showing for two days, and has been out since October in the UK. I haven't really seen/heard much about it in the US.

Not sure about this, it's only showing for two days, and has been out since October in the UK. I haven't really seen/heard much about it in the US.

It will have a much bigger audience in the UK I think. The older I get the more I am astounded that both my father and grandfather's generations fought world wars. My father was born in 1927 and drafted a couple of months after WW2 ended. He did what the Brits called his "National Service" in Palestine in 1946.

It will have a much bigger audience in the UK I think. The older I get the more I am astounded that both my father and grandfather's generations fought world wars. My father was born in 1927 and drafted a couple of months after WW2 ended. He did what the Brits called his "National Service" in Palestine in 1946.
It is my understanding it was aired on BBC on or around Remembrance Day. But yes, most people here in the US that I talk to tend to know very little to nothing about World War One.

Correct. By excluding Germany from the negotiations and dictating a punitive peace, future conflict was inevitable. Even Marshal Foch admitted as much when an aide asked him about the treaty...Foch replied that it “was a only 20 year truce”.

If you want to speak strictly of 1930s onward...it was Mussolini invading Abyssinia...he beat Japan going into China by a year.

t

Wonder who the idiot was who discharged his Enfield against the and gave the stupid grin?

Is that what happened there? I can't figure it out. My first assumption was he was putting up a target for a German sniper through a hole in that wall. What do you think was happening there?

Watch the recoil down and back, and the forestock nearly beaning him.

t
I put it on .25 speed and clicked through the scene @ 1:58 and it appears the fellow was launching a rifle grenade without the benefit of the nosecap cup meant for that purpose.

Edit:Looks like there was a version of the grenades without the need for a nosecap cup. The proper technique was to hold the rifle with the trigger guard towards you. Probably because of the recoil impulse that whacked this chap.
smle-1111.JPG

Holding_It.jpg

Last edited:
One of the most striking things to me is how bad everyone's teeth are. I guess Britain + 100 years ago = should be expected, but still.

WWII has better marketing team what a lot of people don't know is many European countries lost more soldiers in WWI. Both of them were stupid.

Just an FYI to anyone that wants to see this in theater, I recommend buying tickets ASAP. I went to buy tickets just now and the two showings I decided on were both already sold out, and my third choice down to just the very front row, so I went with my fourth choice which was also almost sold out.

I guess I underestimated the interest in the film; that, and a lot of people (like me) probably have time off around Christmas.

Peter Jackson (director of Lord of the Rings) has made a documentary about World War One with colorized footage and archival interviews.

It is going to have a limited US theatrical release, Dec 17 and Dec 27.

Anyone else going to see it? I have the 27th off, and I am planning on going to see it in 3D. I think the Great War gets overlooked too often.

They Shall Not Grow Old - Wikipedia

Tickets: Fathom Events | They Shall Not Grow Old

I just got tix for the 17th. It looks to be a great film.

Back
Top Bottom