• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

They Shall Not Grow Old

Question:

Where did WW2 start?

t
WW2 was a continuation of ww1. The armistace was just that......a cease fire.....and the economic sanctions placed on Germany created nothing but more hatred and discontent.......followed by appeasement of Hitler because the rest of Europe was still living with the memories of ww1 and were trying to avoid war again.

So to answer the question......WW2 "started" the same day as ww1.

I've ordered tickets for the 27th. It's only showing 17th and 27th in the US (theaters), but aired on the BBC in the UK and is available elsewhere I presume.

Playing 12/27 at 1:00, Solomon Pond Mall, Marlboro. I bought 6 tickets. For me with kids and friends.
My sons actually have an interest in history which is nice....

It will have a much bigger audience in the UK I think. The older I get the more I am astounded that both my father and grandfather's generations fought world wars. My father was born in 1927 and drafted a couple of months after WW2 ended. He did what the Brits called his "National Service" in Palestine in 1946.

Thats cool.
What Unit?
I had an Uncle that served in Palastine in 1946.
He was a Pioneer with the 2nd Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers. Mick Palestine Bren Carrier.jpg

Last edited:
I saw it today. I give it a B+. After about five minutes I forgot it was colorized/edited, which is a pretty cool accomplishment. The footage was great and the story was an overview of the whole war.

On the downside, I had a hard time deciphering some of the accents of the narration (which I understand were actual audio clips from long ago) and they didn’t pause during the dialogue so it was hard to keep up at times/felt like they were racing.

Theater was full with a good mix of folks. Thumbs up.

ETA: stunning (not in a good way) that there is no WWI memorial in DC.

A few thoughts:
  • It was nice to hear a lot more about the "mundane" aspects of soldier's lives, instead of the usual topdown high level stuff
  • The British soldiers really liked their tea
  • I'm glad I saw the last 30 minutes after the credits. There were some very interesting things like the researchers finding the actual units in the footage and using voice actors from that county for authentic accents
  • The soldiers in the little culvert before a charge, and realizing it was the last 30 minutes of most of their lives, you could see the one absolutely terrified guy
  • How much the British soldiers had pretty positive relations with actual German soldiers, and the Germans' willingness to volunteer to help stretcher injured British soldiers after the Germans were captured
  • Peter Jackson owns WWI artillery pieces!
I was impressed all around.

One last thing: in the film, it is indeed the grenade launcher that knocks the chap's helmet off before he grins. The trailer omits part of it, but that is what happens in the film.

Saw it on the 27th and very glad we did. Ended up going to the Loews in Boston as other theaters were sold out. They had it showing on 4 or 5 screens, and they were packed with a wide range of folks.

Highly recommended and glad I saw it.

• I'm glad I saw the last 30 minutes after the credits. There were some very interesting things like the researchers finding the actual units in the footage and using voice actors from that county for authentic accents
This!!! I am very glad I stayed as well. Incredible the amount of work that went into the documentary and helps you appreciate more of what you saw.

Saw the movie today. Very well done; my wife even had praise for it. Left us wanting more as it had to be so limited in scope to fit into theater time from 100 hours of archival footage, and 600 hours of veteran oral history from the 60's. Wonder if they will tackle the war at sea and air in separate episodes to truly document the first modern war.

t

Saw the movie today. Very well done; my wife even had praise for it. Left us wanting more as it had to be so limited in scope to fit into theater time from 100 hours of archival footage, and 600 hours of veteran oral history from the 60's. Wonder if they will tackle the war at sea and air in separate episodes to truly document the first modern war.

t
That was my friend's criticism, too. He wanted to see more of the air battles and whatnot. There were a few oblique references/shots near the end of biplanes if I recall. He was hoping Jackson might do subsequent installments focusing on air and/or sea theaters.

Back
Top Bottom