• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thinking 7.62 x 39

So if I'm looking at an AK what manufacturer am I looking for?
I'm told there are cheap ones around that suck.
Got to use the real deal when I was still in the Marines. The thing shot everything, every time and was accurate enough too.

So if I'm looking at an AK what manufacturer am I looking for?
I'm told there are cheap ones around that suck.
Got to use the real deal when I was still in the Marines. The thing shot everything, every time and was accurate enough too.
Avoid:
IO, Century builds
Embrace:
WASR if looking entry level, Arsenal, Chinese (Norinco, Polytech), Zastava for the most part
Jury still out:
PSA--some positive reviews after they switched to forged.

There's also boutique builds, like Rifle Dynamics and the like, but that starts to get expensive and would be moderated by your budget.

if you have a spare pre-lower laying about, build a 7.62x39 ar.

don't even need a spare lower if you have an AR, just get one of these (on sale right now) and a couple mags and you are in the 7.62x39 game for like $300 and 2 pins pushed (assuming you aren't restricted by the evil bayonet lug and threaded barrel).

I do also have an old chinese sks that i love and have never had a single malfunction in.

yeah, yeah...ak ak ak, but a 7.62x39 ar is freakin' different and fun. put together a side bolt version and you'll be the belle of the range. and as my generation says, it's a blast. but, errr, trying to get ar 7.62x39 mags is a challenge.

don't even need a spare lower if you have an AR, just get one of these (on sale right now) and a couple mags and you are in the 7.62x39 game for like $300 and 2 pins pushed (assuming you aren't restricted by the evil bayonet lug and threaded barrel).
yep, wasn't thinking, you can of course do that. i'm a bonehead....but not a .40 bully. [wink]

I’ve owned a Norinco underfolder, a WASR, and a Vz58. The Vz58 is by far the best-made and most accurate. The WASR is great too, since I extended the LOP. Both just never seem to malfunction.

In fairness, I bought the WASR when they cost around six bills.

I’ve owned a Norinco underfolder, a WASR, and a Vz58. The Vz58 is by far the best-made and most accurate. The WASR is great too, since I extended the LOP. Both just never seem to malfunction.

If they weren't so expensive, I'd probably have a Vz58. Cool looking guns. The cheapest I see them is $1200 though and in a free state you can get a lot with that kind of money.
The phenolic ones look great:
1572554629216.png

i wish i bought a couple. remember when they were 499? ah well, i was stupid.

i didn't own a ak 7'62x39 until 2015, the train ran late. lol when i got laid off i used a bit of severance and picked up an arsenal. but not beating the dead horse, i put it in the back of the safe and shoot the ar versions now. each his own, ya known.

If they weren't so expensive, I'd probably have a Vz58. Cool looking guns. The cheapest I see them is $1200 though and in a free state you can get a lot with that kind of money.
The phenolic ones look great:
View attachment 310164

Yum.

I bought mine off a fellow NESer and fell in love with the sucker. Mine’s got wood furniture, though. A drawback are the non-AK mags, but they’re still pretty easy to source even in MA.

There's no standardized magazine
yeah, it was a bitch finding mags. the pick of the litter for me anyway are the asc's. there was another brand, can't remember the name, wouldn't feed reliably. at least the asc mags can do that. i use to email mag-pul once a week about adding them to their catalog. they finally asked me politely to refrain from asking.

The mags Midway sells work just fine and they're 15 bucks. I think they are AR Stoners but I'd have to check.

An AR in 7.62 x 39 is just a dumb idea waiting to happen. There's no standardized magazine, IIRC. Dumpster fires.

-Mike

not really a deal breaker for me. buy an upper, and a dozen mags by the same manufactuer and you will be set for life, lets be honest you aren't going to wear them out. if you have an AR already you can shoot 7.62 with little $ invested and no paperwork (2 reasons i would argue are a counter point to the "dumb idea" theory). AR's are available in a ton of different calibers. If it's reliable, why not 7.62x39?

Thinking aloud, the vz58 is good to go in MA, isn't it? It's not an AK, doesn't share mags, different operating system etc. If you got one "traditionally MA compliant" with no lug/threaded muzzle, etc., it should be good to go, right?

not really a deal breaker for me. buy an upper, and a dozen mags by the same manufactuer and you will be set for life, lets be honest you aren't going to wear them out. if you have an AR already you can shoot 7.62 with little $ invested and no paperwork (2 reasons i would argue are a counter point to the "dumb idea" theory). AR's are available in a ton of different calibers. If it's reliable, why not 7.62x39?

^This. Mine is one of the 16" carbine versions from Bear Creek and I got a bunch of $15 mags from Midway to feed it with. The whole thing works great and is pretty accurate too. Eats whatever but seems to like Tula and Golden Tiger best. No issues with it and I've had it a couple of years now. Just don't bother with the curved preban 20 or 30 rounders, they jam if you put in more than 6 or 7 rounds.

I've got this one and really like it.

I'm very happy with my SKS, which I got for $350 on Gun Broker 2 years ago. It's virtually flawless with any ammo I put through it, although it's not the most accurate gun on earth. It won't win you any trophies, but it will win you security and peace of mind.

Back
Top Bottom