Thinking of an M1A - where to get .308?

I have been thinking off and on of getting an M1A - probably from Springfield Armory. But it seems like decently priced .308 is hard to find. The best priced rifle ammo out there I have seen recently is 7.62x39 and 30.06 surplus from CMP. Which is why I am thinking of also getting a Garand - and possibly an AK so that I have something to shoot the cheap ammo. But what I really want is an M1A - which means I shoulf figure out a way to get around the ammo availability problem.

I have noticed that .308 blanks are reasonably cheap $99 - for 2000 - is the brass the same in blanks as it is live rounds? If reloading is the route I had to take to get the ammo costs down then that would also be an option for me.

I know there used to be a good amount of decent surplus .308 out there - but from what I find on the internet that seems to have dried up a year or so ago.

If you want a gas gun, why not just get an AR?
Just by virtue of the fact you want to use less expensive ammo should push you in that direction.
The M1s and M1As are more expensive to feed and require a bit more maintenance.
I have a Garand it is a ball to shoot, but I hate to feed it.
Do some research before you open your wallet.

I understand blank ammo cases should not be used for reloading because they were initially rejected for use in regular ammunition production.

A friend of mine bought a M1a last year really nice gun, but he was shooting some surplus ammo and had all kinds trouble with until he start using good ammo. Why he would buy a top shelf gun and shoot the bottom of the barrel ammo? I don't know what ammo it was but he could have damaged a great high$$ weapon.

I have been doing some research and from what I can find some of the surplus ammo that is/was out there - namely some of the Indian and the Pakistani - was not that good. There is (supposedly) Australian and Argentian - plus some federal that is not too bad.

The reason why I want an M1A (or maybe an FAL) is because I want a "battle rifle" in a larger calibre than .223. I intend on getting an AR at some point too - so I hope to cover all of the bases. [smile]

Your workbench is the cheapest place to get it from:

RC-Supreme.jpg

reloadingkit.jpg

uniflow.jpg

505.jpg

xdies.jpg

Vibratory-Case-Cleaner.jpg

Back
Top Bottom