• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thinking of becoming a leo...

Taking the test is the first choicr, depending on where you live and the status you qualify for, the exam may decide for you. If you live in a town that has alot of veterans you wont be high enougg on the list to be hired. Take the test see where you land. I think being a LEO is a great career, despite the media portrayal. Personally I've dedicated most of my 20's preparing for the job. By that i mean 4 years to get my bachelor's, 4 years in the Army so i could claim Vet status, 6 long months in the academy and 2 more years for a masters. I say this to highlight the caliber of resume and mindset of some cops. Its a competitive job, pays well, and if you can do the hours its awesome. If you want to PM me and try to arrange a ride alone or answers to specific questions feel free.
One thing that makes a huge difference is the department you work for so do your research

Spent 11 years trying to get on. Took all the tests I could. I couldn't self sponsor because I had a family to support...

Always scored 95/96's and above, and it meant absolute dick. Clean background, bachelors, again doesn't mean dick. Took a shit ton of non-CS tests... scored even higher. Was once the 2nd highest score out of 300. Crushed the PT test, and was emailed days later (with a shit load of others) that we wouldn't be moving on. They hired academy trained already.

If you don't have veterans preference, or you're not already academy trained, it's EXTRAORDINARILY difficult to get hired in Mass.

So, I had to throw the white flag. I couldn't chase my aspirations any longer, it was getting ****in' ridiculous. It was just wasting Saturday's taking exams and running tracks to get told "eff off" all the time.

After the 'Cold War Dividend' layoffs in the Army I used my GI Bill to get a California POST Certificate to increase my chances of being hired as a lateral as opposed to as an untrained starting recruit position. It was interesting, I learned a lot, I had some fun times too, BUT it didn't help.

Competition was fierce for few openings and I had a misspent youth (lol) that didn't help at all. I spent 3 years working construction jobs and testing everywhere there was an opening. To maximize your ability to be tested you'll need a flexible work schedule. Getting to know a few LEOs and buying into a jobs listing magazine helps in knowing where jobs are. Not all job openings are highly advertised. I got to final Chiefs interviews many times but never got a break. Then I applied to the USBP. That was a good move as they were on a huge recruiting drive at the time. Go where the jobs are!

As others have said don't limit yourself to just local and state agencies. Do federal applications as well (OPM lists them at USAjobs.gov). Get your foot in the door somewhere. Be willing to relocate. Get fit and stay fit. Being tops on the physical fitness tests they run impresses prospective employers greatly. Be frank and candid about your past They'll find out anyway if your concealing something. Keep at it, it takes time and work. If I could get hired you should be able to as well unless you are hiding some undisclosed past.

I had a felony arrest on my record with no conviction, but my youthful behavioral issues were mitigated by a good 10 year army record (Letters of reference from field grade former military bosses) and candid honesty in interviews and background checks.

I don't think anyone knows if they will like their job in Law Enforcement until they arrive at their job. There is a ton of variety based on where and by whom you get hired. As far as being the new guy rookie etc - that happens in all jobs, it's just a bit more pronounced in some professions. For me I was happy for 4 years then I hit a wall and went back to the Army. Such is life.

Good luck to you! Cheers!

One last thought. Keep a copy of your first background investigation forms, you'll be filling in that info over and over and over. It will save you much heartache. If you've had a Federal security clearance in the past get a copy of that investigation form too from your current or former security manager. Agencies cross reference all those forms and if there is any discrepancy you will be in trouble.

Edited to add: Don't do one application at a time, do as many as you can possibly do concurrently. The applicants to jobs rate in my experience was abysmal. Hundreds to thousands to one. The recruiters will cull applicants heavily initially to pare down their applicant pool to a manageable size. Expect a lot of rejection letters and don't let that get you down.

Oh-ya, and to state the obvious -> get a short conservative haircut, be clean shaven, have an appropriate suit and tie and polish those shoes! My observations while job hunting was that those that didn't fit that model usually got culled fast from the vetting process. Be serious. If you get left in a room waiting hours for some process or another etc behave yourself. Eyes will be on you even when you may be unaware of it.

Expect hypothetical problems to be thrown at you in interviews. Think before answering them. Don't waffle on your solutions. Don't be an idiot. If you are not an Alpha personality do your best to get in that frame of mind.

If you get a rejection letter find out why so you can improve on your next application. Ask the recruiter if they know any other agencies that are hiring, especially if you've progressed a long way through vetting. Often times if they think you were a strong candidate but not the best for that cull they will refer you to other agencies. That happened to me many times.

For Federal applications: OPM uses forms and tests to make a list of best to worst applicants. Be well rested and arrive early to the federal building. Expect it to be a long boring slog of a day. Before starting they will lock the doors on those who are late. After testing expect an interview by your hiring agency. Once OPM establishes a list the hiring agency must work down that list in hires. Sometimes they have just one list but they can have many. I've known many agents who didn't get a job offer for years after applying. My job offering to the USBP came in a registered letter and I had a 24 hour window to accept or decline, I then had 3 days time to report to my sector headquarters in South Texas from my home in California. Be prepared to move fast if they offer you a job. If you do get hired do not take any weapons to FLETC. In my USBP class 2 trainees from a class of 40 were fired and arrested on the spot day one for being idiots that couldn't follow instructions, rules, and laws.

Last edited:
If you do it try to be a country, or local cop in a decent area. Big city cops get so much crap, IN some places the pay is good but the mayor does not have your back like NY.

Don't be afraid to go out of state. We had a guy on our job from Dade County SD, one from LAPD, and another from San Diego PD. Florida agencies are always hiring. I would also recommend the LEO course that Rob Boudrie linked. John Scheft is the lawyer who wrote the questions for the civil service promotional exams so he definitely knows what he's talking about.

If you are approaching your 38th birthday, write AGE on the outside of the envelope to the feds. I've read (unsubstantiated) that this will speed up processing a bit. Fed LE has a max hiring age of 37.

For the Fed LEO jobs there is a slight caveat. If you are a veteran, the 37 year old cut off doesn't apply. Also, some agencies have a waiver that allows them to hire up to age 40...

Or should i say, thinking of taking the exam that is coming up to become a leo.

My problem is that i feel as if i am not 100% behind the idea... And obviously it is a serious decision and serious career path. I feel that becoming a leo would be a better career path then the one i am on, which is why i am considering it (taking exam)

Like most jobs, i am sure the first few years will be rough. I imagine a lot of 3rd shift details. But what is it like the first few years? What i am getting into?

It's not the bad pay or bad hours that gets to people. You will be dealing with people going through what may be the worst day of their lives. I've seen more dead bodies than I care to think about. I've watched people take their last breaths. I've put people in prison (I don't do jail) in front of family members.

My agency is fairly well compensated, federal benefits, decent retirement (will have to work, but have a cushion). We have constant turnover due to the 'other' stuff.

Local LEO's deal with traffic accidents and domestic violence. You will go to the same house over and over again to deal with a wife/husband who won't leave the abuser and fights you when you take the abuser away. That crap eats at your soul.

It is definitely an interesting time to be a police officer. You have some people that hate you and want to kill you just because you wear the uniform. You have other people that will try to bait you into becoming aggressive and having their friends record the event. You have people that want you to wave a magic wand and fix their life they spent the last few decades screwing up, and then go make a complaint against you if you can't. You have some people that spit on the ground when they walk by you. You have some people that pay for your meal without you knowing when you are on duty and getting a bite to eat. There are people that offer to buy your water or coffee and won't take no for an answer. Some people just want to say thank you and shake your hand.

Ultimately you could end up losing your job for trying to to protect yourself or someone else, or you could end up behind bars if people think you didn't act appropriately when they Monday morning quarterback your split second decision.

It certainly is interesting. If you think you can deal with that, take the test and go through the process. Lots of people apply, few get selected. You can always take the test and decide to not do the job later. But if you don't take the test you have to wait 2 years to take the next one, so if you are on the fence just take it. Start running and doing push ups and sit ups to make sure you are all set for the PT test when that comes up.

Good luck making your decision and getting the job if that's what you decide.

Well I hope you made it in on time. I think they allow a late registration, but it will cost you more $$$

Well, maybe take the firefighter test, everyone loves firefighters. (Except cops, lol) most people hate cops.

If you still want to become a cop, the do the test every 2 years, so make sure you sign up in Jan 2019

Federal hiring freeze !

With the mass exodus from the Border Patrol, a hiring freeze would kill the agency. ICE is cannibalizing the Border Patrol. Can't blame them, border life isn't for everyone and the experience is absolutely needed in ICE. They are spookey to work with sometimes. The things I've seen give me nightmares.

In most cases the hiring freeze only applies to higher levels.

Entry level public safety almost always hires during hiring freezes to replace officers/staff leaving or retiring.

As long as there are openings due to staff leaving or retiring.

Across the state most departments hired huge numbers from say 1989-1994 (my department alone hired nearly 500 between those years)

As those uniformed staff retire in the next say 5+ years there will be a ton hired despite any so called hiring freezes.

I made good money, very good the last few years, and I was able to retire with a decent pension when I was 49.

Many officers who work 2nd or 3rd shift have second jobs, as I did. I was able to pay off my mortgage and send my son to college with no debt.

Statements like this make me scratch my head. In the private sector the idea of having a second full-time job or retiring at 49 are just out of the question. For most of the workforce there is no such thing as a pension now.

So this is hard to reconcile with the other more negative advice here. I guess the answer is that LEO jobs vary widely.

Sometimes it the old story, our public sector employees unions set up a best three years average to get the retirement pay up there. It's the way Goverment works though . Partly why Trump was elected. That's why he wants to cut gov. Employees.

Sometimes it the old story, our public sector employees unions set up a best three years average to get the retirement pay up there. It's the way Goverment works though . Partly why Trump was elected. That's why he wants to cut gov. Employees.
Check out the "Lexington clause" in many MA teacher's contracts. It allows a teacher to select one year in their career for a $5000 pay boost. This is generally done in one of the last 3 years before retirement.

My experience, as a "regular part time officer" (I had a full time job in IT) was positive. I was treated well by the FT LEO; I was paid for the work I did, unless I donated my time; All of my basic uniform needs
were covered and I had a yearly "expense" account on which to draw. Your experience might be different depending on where you serve.

Statements like this make me scratch my head. In the private sector the idea of having a second full-time job or retiring at 49 are just out of the question. For most of the workforce there is no such thing as a pension now.

So this is hard to reconcile with the other more negative advice here. I guess the answer is that LEO jobs vary widely.

or not send your child college in the US and save yourself 40 K . i'm 26 and by the time i'm 32 my house will be paid off, don't think i'll be working full time much longer lol

Back
Top Bottom