Thinning the herd before you pass?

It's been a while since I've had a deep thought and when I contemplate life, I always go to a trusted source. NES.

The uncle of a friend of mine passed away unexpectedly last week and his only child wanted nothing to do with his collection of 20-30 firearms.

They even suggested giving it to the police or someone to destroy.

This has made me reevaluate a few things related to collecting and passing on belongings.

What are the NES collectors out there planning to do?

* collect and don't think about the future
* thin the herd to bare minimum
* thin the herd and keep only collectibles
* donate to a 2A organization

Like @Drix i have a firearms trust. It’s referenced in my will and kept in the fireproof safe with other documents.

I’m thinning the herd a bit now, sold three last week, got six more up for sale. That’s more of getting rid of some that I haven’t shot in seven years or so than preparing for my demise.

EDITED to correct typos from fat thumbs on little phone...

Last edited:
I have only one son and he shoots and hunts with me so I don't have to worry about where my collection goes when I'm gone. Wife and I always wanted more children but deployments and training kind of got in the way of "making that happen". Bottom line is I don't even have to worry about which kid gets what when I'm gone......he'll get the whole collection.

If I were in the situation where I had kids that I thought would not appreciate my collection and try to give it to the po po I'd be at my attorneys office making a list of which fire arms go to which friends and hunting buddies.

If I drop dead suddenly, really Dont Care
If im old and cant even fet to the range Im sure I will be selling off
More thsn likely to pay for something. My 3 kids show little interest in my stuff.
In the end I will be dead and what they do with my stuff is of no concern of mine.

It's been a while since I've had a deep thought and when I contemplate life, I always go to a trusted source. NES.

The uncle of a friend of mine passed away unexpectedly last week and his only child wanted nothing to do with his collection of 20-30 firearms.

This has made me reevaluate a few things related to collecting and passing on belongings.

This happened to a friend of mine when his dad passed. Of course I had not seen this friend until a few years after his father passed.
I asked about the guns and uniform collection.
The uniform and his guns worth any money went to auction when his dad was diagnosed with cancer.
The other 40 or so odd guns went to the police.
I wanted to kick him in the balls. I told him years before his dad passed to keep me in mind for the guns.

A lot of good suggestions above.

Like everything else important in life I am a procrastinator. That is I'm putting off dying till the last minute.

A friend of mine who has plenty of guns used to joke when he shot something of mine he liked. He would say that he couldn't wait till my wake so he could say to my wife "you know he always wanted me to have that special 1911 he bought back in the eighties".

It really didn't matter what the gun was anything new and we would laugh. Now as I get older I wonder what guns people are coming to the wake for? Makes you think a little.

I don't have those concerns as I brought my three sons into the fold of firearms at a young age and all three would appreciate receiving them. Their only concern should be my insistence on being buried with them.

I do "thin the herd" so to say......did a big safe dump of 8 guns this year. But I end up buying back some quality and improving the collection.

My one son will get not only mine, but also my dad's collection. When its time we will go thru them, sell what we feel is warranted and use it for a trip or something together hopefully. I know my dad would be OK with that.

Basically, my kid is still in limbo where he's living though, as he's an engineer in rotational program, so I don't want to be moving firearms and safes. When he settles down, he's getting half of my collection so he technically won't ever have to buy another firearm in his life if he doesn't want to. He will have all bases covered as far as shooting and hunting calibers, .22 rifles and defensive and .22 handguns.

I will then begin to sell off what I don't use, and if i'm getting too old, we will do the same thing again......sell what we can, give the kid the money.

I have a couple nephews I have given stuff too already at the request of my dad....but most of the high quality stuff they don't make anymore is still in my care.

I guess it would be bad if I stroked out tommorrow.......because the plan wouldn't be implemented, and honestly my son would likely be a bit overwhelmed.

Last edited:
I have only one son and he shoots and hunts with me so I don't have to worry about where my collection goes when I'm gone. Wife and I always wanted more children but deployments and training kind of got in the way of "making that happen". Bottom line is I don't even have to worry about which kid gets what when I'm gone......he'll get the whole collection.

If I were in the situation where I had kids that I thought would not appreciate my collection and try to give it to the po po I'd be at my attorneys office making a list of which fire arms go to which friends and hunting buddies.
This.......I don't want the po po getting them.

The only issue I have with giving them out to friends is that most of my friends are 10 years older than I am and either don't need them or will likely predecease me.

If I have time, like I don't fall over dead in the next 10 years, I'll ask the wife and kids if they want my stuff. If not, I'll tell them where to go to get the best deal and how to sell everything.

I do think about that, because I've had to deal with several relatives' stuff after they passed, but it doesn't stop me from getting cool guns. I don't collect just to collect, though.

It’s a good question. I’d make sure they are in the will and going to someone who knows they’re coming and knows what to do with them when they get them. Be careful in the gay states like MA if you leave them to someone who doesn’t have the appropriate license when you die.

That said, what happened to these guns? Did they get turned into the cops or did that sally have them destroyed?

I've tried for several years to only keep what I really like, and what I shoot. I don't have kids. I'm a cancer survivor, so it's something I think about. Not just the guns, but the ammo too. Maybe I'll have an NES 'auction' with the proceeds going to my favorite charity. Needs more thought...

"People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan."

This is a quote I got from an episode of M*A*S*H.

Later I found out it was a loose translation of a quote from Ben Franklin which goes something like this....

"If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail."

It is unfortunate that the passing of the individual was unexpected.

As others have mentioned already, that is why you should set up a will or a trust to ensure your firearms go to a Pro 2A individual(s) or entity.

I already know my daughters want all my stuff and my estate is already planned...

Just need to maintain the will / trust and my daughters are all set.

If they have a change of heart about the guns I will find out early and make the necessary adjustments.

Just be aware of what your family wants, then decide.

It is clear the guy you mentioned either didn't have a relationship with his kids or didn't give a f*ck, or he did care but he died unexpectedly before he could sell them.

All my guns are in a trust, when I kick it the executor changes and the torch passes to all interested parties.

The only rule of the trust is I get buried with my edc locked, loaded, and one in the chamber. Being buried with a loaded rifle is a major plus but not a requirement.

Would do the same though I think the crematorium may object to the including of live ammunition.

it'll probably be my last great nes karma. i always tried to karma decent stuff with some value still left in the mix, never shit destined for the trash. this could be the big bang.

If I have time, like I don't fall over dead in the next 10 years, I'll ask the wife and kids if they want my stuff. If not, I'll tell them where to go to get the best deal and how to sell everything.

I do think about that, because I've had to deal with several relatives' stuff after they passed, but it doesn't stop me from getting cool guns. I don't collect just to collect, though.
I would leave written instructions, together with a list and a realistic average / min price they should accept for each gun.

Last edited:
It’s a good thought endeavor. My wife and I discussed this a few times and we both realize that we need to do some better planning with our will, that we haven’t created yet.

My plan is to start ramping down my collection after I retire to help with retirement costs. Nobody in my family are into guns so I’m going to leave what is left of my collection to GOAL with some being given to my gun club.

I’d hate to think anyone would destroy my guns.

I would think a trust would be a better option than a will. As far as I know, wills are filed in probate and part of public record. Trusts are private.

I’d prefer no one to know who got them.

Only my oldest kid will be interested in the firearms. I think he'd be interested in the vintage stuff that has family history (including my history such as shooting in matches / Camp Perry etc.) but I don't think he would necessarily be into having multiple M1's etc. I'm pondering selling some of my most collectible rifles to spend on something I'll just shoot the piss out of. I'll check out PRS or 22 NRL this year and if I like maybe shift some $ that direction.

I have a Glock .40 that should be a karma on NES after I croak. [rofl]

I have a son that will want all mine. He will be paying off my other son for a while I am sure. If the lump some isn't enough.

I would think a trust would be a better option than a will. As far as I know, wills are filed in probate and part of public record. Trusts are private.

I’d prefer no one to know who got them.

My problem with a trust is finding a trusted person to be the executor. I’m not to thrilled with not having full control of my stuff.

Back
Top Bottom