Thinning the herd before you pass?

I'm thinning the herd before I move in 2 years. I'd like to MEGA thin it, personally. I've still got too many guns. But I've thought about it a good amount.

I couldn't imagine putting that one someone.

I'm thinning the herd before I move in 2 years. I'd like to MEGA thin it, personally. I've still got too many guns. But I've thought about it a good amount.

I couldn't imagine putting that one someone.
Thinning?
What??

Just move them. Once you remove the barreled actions from stocks, they don't take up much space. I moved a bunch of Mausers this way. I put all the screws in zip lock bags, one for each Mauser, and bubble wraped the barrels and actions. You can put like 10-15 of those in one gun case without the foam. Stocks go in regular boxes.

Last edited:
Leave a copy in the safe as well.

Short, to the point instructions on how the law works and how they can sell them, maybe leave the phone number of someone you trust can answer questions for them.

Could also leave instructions on how to use Gun Broker or some other site to check prices.

The only reason I recommend written instructions is because this stuff is hard to keep track of. Laws can be confusing for those that know them, imagine trying to navigate the world right after someone dies and the family has 100 things to do and worry about. They won't remember that conversation you had 10 years ago.
My son is in the will as the recipient.......so that's all good. But yeah....instructions left in the safe would be important.

However....if I still happen to be in this shithole state when I die for some reason.....he no longer has a MA LTC. Since he moved last year I haven't thought about that.

Obviously he could take possession quickly and just drive them to where he lives.....but I may need to get one or two of my friends who have LTC, and one is an FFL, to take possession just in case. Then give to him when he is ready to take them in.

We've had a few members of the club die recently and none of the PD's have gone to remove any firearms from wives that don't have LTC.....but in the future i could see that as an issue.

Kills me when people want to surrender firearms to the police, sure I support the police in policing but not as firearm experts. Many have set precedent to turn everything involving guns to the police. It’s just wrong.

Leave a copy in the safe as well.

Short, to the point instructions on how the law works and how they can sell them, maybe leave the phone number of someone you trust can answer questions for them.

Could also leave instructions on how to use Gun Broker or some other site to check prices.

The only reason I recommend written instructions is because this stuff is hard to keep track of. Laws can be confusing for those that know them, imagine trying to navigate the world right after someone dies and the family has 100 things to do and worry about. They won't remember that conversation you had 10 years ago.
One things for sure......if my wife finds the spreadsheet with all the valuations added up.......she might kill me! [rofl]

Thinning?
What??

Just move them. Once you remove the barreled actions from stocks, they don't take up much space. I moved a bunch of Mausers this way. I put all the screws in zip lock bags, one for each Mauser,l and bubble wraped the barrels and actions. You can put like 10-15 of those in one gun case without the foam. Stocks go in regular boxes.
I have about 10 soft and a few hard cases, but beyond that.....

This is the reason I keep all the boxes. You can break the firearm down, box it up and stack the boxes and everything is safe and ready to travel.

As i said earlier, I have a gun trust that's referenced in my will. If you don't want the state to get involved and make decisisions - then do the paperwork to keep them out of it as much as possible.

My will will go to probate, that's fine, it was professionally written and it'll hold up. My gun trust ensures that my guns DON'T go to probate - because I don't own them, the trust does.

Question for you on the Gun Trust. What happens to your Trust when you buy new guns and sell other guns? Do you have to pay to update your Trust every time?

Question for you on the Gun Trust. What happens to your Trust when you buy new guns and sell other guns? Do you have to pay to update your Trust every time?
Nope. the trust already exists as an entity. Just think of it as a third party that is not a human. The guns all get transferred to the trust and now that entity owns them. Ownership of newly acquired ones is by the trust.

Our mutual friend can provide more professional advice on this. I am working on amending/updating our wills and creating a trust for this very reason.

As for the executor, "L" would be the logical choice with trusted friend/s as secondary/tertiary. Unfortunately I'll most likely predecease you. ;)

Last edited:
My problem with a trust is finding a trusted person to be the executor. I’m not to thrilled with not having full control of my stuff.
The other problem with a trust is if you have two children and make one the executor, you run the risk that they will want NOTHING to do with each other after the estate is settled.

No need to ask me how I know. :(

I have about 10 soft and a few hard cases, but beyond that.....

This is the reason I keep all the boxes. You can break the firearm down, box it up and stack the boxes and everything is safe and ready to travel.
I ordered a bunch of Amazon hard cases for like $20 each. They just needed to be good enough to comply, which they did.

It is amazing how much space a bunch of stacked hard cases take.

With the stocks removed, and the foam removed from the cases, 5 hard cases can accommodate a lot of rifles.

Handguns are even easier. You can put 15-20, maybe more in one rifle case.

The trust has definition pages which describe people and entity. Those pages are digned and notarized.

Then there are pages describing and transferring firearm(s) to trust from settler. Thise pages aren’t notarized. I add/remove/update as appropriate.

If i were to change membership, that would require typing and notary.

We're moving to a 2A friendly state, so I've been thinning the herd for a while now.

Basically anything that's easily replaceable- all of my glocks, half my AR's, some AK stuff.

Putting it all aside in a 'gun fund' because now that I'll have access to suppressors and other fun toys I'll need all the $ I can get [rofl]

All material possessions are in my Will & Revocable Trust except NFA items, which will go to an NFA Trust shortly. Wife has spare keys/combinations and a list of guns and locations. I’m slowly selling down the guns my sons will not want, expect for a few that I inherited as family heirlooms, which I’ve asked them to keep and pass on (assuming they ever breed).

My wife - who practices the Art of Bonsai - finally understands… A world-renowned Bonsai Master said he has a list of bonsai pots and their true value so his wife doesn’t sell them for what he told her he paid for them.

I would leave written instructions, together with a list and a realistic average / min price they should accept for each gun.
I have a list of mine and who my executor can give them to. My executor has an LTC so I think would be able to manage them in the interim before they get doled out.

I thinned the herd over the past couple years from high of about 30ish, due to being a bit of a nomad these days. I'm currently at 2 pistols and 2 rifles, including my edc. I did place an order for 22lr pistol as I'm missing that at the moment. Prob should have 22lr rifle too, damn the collection is growing again.

I have no one to transfer any guns to the moment. I will sell here for for cheap if I sense the end is near.

I am in possession of a small arsenal due to a domestic situation surrender/transfer but that will be dealt with shortly, hopefully I don't get hit by a bus before then.

My son is in the will as the recipient.......so that's all good. But yeah....instructions left in the safe would be important.

However....if I still happen to be in this shithole state when I die for some reason.....he no longer has a MA LTC. Since he moved last year I haven't thought about that.

Obviously he could take possession quickly and just drive them to where he lives.....but I may need to get one or two of my friends who have LTC, and one is an FFL, to take possession just in case. Then give to him when he is ready to take them in.

We've had a few members of the club die recently and none of the PD's have gone to remove any firearms from wives that don't have LTC.....but in the future i could see that as an issue.
I'm sure @Len-2A Training will correct me, but can't the named executor take possession and make appropriate transfers of specifically willed firearms even without a license?

I'm sure @Len-2A Training will correct me, but can't the named executor take possession and make appropriate transfers of specifically willed firearms even without a license?
That is my IANAL understanding from reading the law.

With all these children who have no respect or passion for what should be far more than just a hobby do you think enough was done? Do you feel any responsibility for that?

My own kids play leapfrog over the chance to go shooting. But the personal failure I own is with my own younger brother who turned into a BU indoctrinated liberal faggot shortly after I moved out on my own…

The other problem with a trust is if you have two children and make one the executor, you run the risk that they will want NOTHING to do with each other after the estate is settled.

No need to ask me how I know. :(
My mother had this problem when her parents passed so she made us both executor of her estate. It didn’t help…

We're moving to a 2A friendly state, so I've been thinning the herd for a while now.

Basically anything that's easily replaceable- all of my glocks, half my AR's, some AK stuff.

Putting it all aside in a 'gun fund' because now that I'll have access to suppressors and other fun toys I'll need all the $ I can get [rofl]
thats what I did!

At Seventy Years old this has me thinking more about it. I no longer buy guns to collect. It's difficult to pass on some that come up for sale but I have to be realistic. If I am not going to be shooting it then I pass. My Trust has specific guns going to family members. The rest are to be distributed to family members or to be sold at Auction. Specifically states under no condition are they to be sold as a lot to a gun shop. I have a detailed spreadsheet of the guns, what I paid for them, if there is a case, how many magazines, and any specifics about the gun. I will be selling some as I go along.

Kills me when people want to surrender firearms to the police, sure I support the police in policing but not as firearm experts. Many have set precedent to turn everything involving guns to the police. It’s just wrong.
My effin stupid ass libtard brother-in law turned in his Father's Luger Bring Back from WWII into of all places, the Chicago PD. Who said "It's too old and probably would blow up if you shot it".

Back
Top Bottom