Thinning the herd before you pass?

That is my IANAL understanding from reading the law.
Right now......thats a good thing as the executor doesn't have LTC. But the executor will be changed soon very likely to my son anyway.

Its very likely we will have whittled down my fathers collection and my son will just take them all by then.

Its also very likely I will not be residing here are death either and will be in a 2A friendly state.

We're moving to a 2A friendly state, so I've been thinning the herd for a while now.

Basically anything that's easily replaceable- all of my glocks, half my AR's, some AK stuff.

Putting it all aside in a 'gun fund' because now that I'll have access to suppressors and other fun toys I'll need all the $ I can get [rofl]
I am doing this now as well.....selling guns I don't use......why deal with the baggage of moving them.

I don't have that many glocks left, I can just jettison the crip mags I guess, or sell the few glocks I have and rebuy with standard cap mags.

Until I move, I've ceased all buying of anything plastic pistol or AR that can take over 10rd mags. I'll buy it in the free state.

Thinning?
What??

Just move them. Once you remove the barreled actions from stocks, they don't take up much space. I moved a bunch of Mausers this way. I put all the screws in zip lock bags, one for each Mauser, and bubble wraped the barrels and actions. You can put like 10-15 of those in one gun case without the foam. Stocks go in regular boxes.
Wait, what?!?!?

I just put mine in the truck (in 3 trips) and headed to Indiana. Why are we taking them apart again?

Wait, what?!?!?

I just put mine in the truck (in 3 trips) and headed to Indiana. Why are we taking them apart again?
Easier to lock.

Unless you don't want to lock them.

Or you don't care if the truck is full of cases - usually not an issue for those with 🤏 collections.

One time I loaded the safe in a truck and all the guns in the safe.

Easier to lock.

Or you don't care if the truck is full of cases - usually not an issue for those with 🤏 collections.

I guess it’s smart to do it that way.

I did my collection in 3 trips so I could reuse all my cases and locks each time. I’d unload them into the safe in Indy, pack the cases up and bring them back to MA.

Moving them in the safe is a smart idea, but I was due for an upgrade to my current safe before I moved, so I bought a liberty in Indy and filled that up…moved that to Kentucky and it’s currently vomiting military surplus rifles every time I open it. Might need another safe to put in the bedroom to ease the strain on opening/closing the door in my current safe.

I guess it’s smart to do it that way.

I did my collection in 3 trips so I could reuse all my cases and locks each time. I’d unload them into the safe in Indy, pack the cases up and bring them back to MA.

Moving them in the safe is a smart idea, but I was due for an upgrade to my current safe before I moved, so I bought a liberty in Indy and filled that up…moved that to Kentucky and it’s currently vomiting military surplus rifles every time I open it. Might need another safe to put in the bedroom to ease the strain on opening/closing the door in my current safe.
I'll typically employ the separate uppers and lowers for more compact storage of AR's. I'll even do the same for O/U shotguns as I could use more safe space (no pun intended). In my case I'm using the safe to stay compliant with MA storage BS than for security as on any given day/night there is at least one armed family member in the home plus a mean as F German Shepherd (she's sweet to us / friends, wants to eat all strangers).

It's been a while since I've had a deep thought and when I contemplate life, I always go to a trusted source. NES.

The uncle of a friend of mine passed away unexpectedly last week and his only child wanted nothing to do with his collection of 20-30 firearms.

They even suggested giving it to the police or someone to destroy.

This has made me reevaluate a few things related to collecting and passing on belongings.

What are the NES collectors out there planning to do?

* collect and don't think about the future
* thin the herd to bare minimum
* thin the herd and keep only collectibles
* donate to a 2A organization
My "will" says my boys get to do a firearms draft, 1 through 3, 3 through 1 until they are all in their hands.

It's been a while since I've had a deep thought and when I contemplate life, I always go to a trusted source. NES.

The uncle of a friend of mine passed away unexpectedly last week and his only child wanted nothing to do with his collection of 20-30 firearms.

They even suggested giving it to the police or someone to destroy.

This has made me reevaluate a few things related to collecting and passing on belongings.

What are the NES collectors out there planning to do?

* collect and don't think about the future
* thin the herd to bare minimum
* thin the herd and keep only collectibles
* donate to a 2A organization

So, WRT to your friend's uncle, you should offer something (couple grand?) for the guns. Please don't let them turn in/destroy the man's collection...

My personal goal is to make my kids overwhelmed with thousands, maybe 10s of thousands of guns to sort through when I'm gone, but I'm mean. Ask anyone.

Both my kids like guns and shooting, but only one is really into it, so he'll get most of them.

Unrelated, but didn't I buy a couple AR mags from you like 10 years ago?

I assume they will also be sh*t-talking, nachos and beer, like a normal draft/funeral?

If there isn't sh*t talking and beer at my funeral, I'm not coming.
I hope they have a good time with it. We did something similar with my grandfather's firearms when he passed. I was 19 at the time, I thought it was a pretty good way to celebrate his memory and talk about our time shooting/hunting with him as we picked our guns. It was months after the funeral so it didn't sting as much.

Easier to lock.

I just transported my safe to a new location and wrapped all my rifles in a Frozen2 blanket on the passenger seat of my pickup.

I hope they have a good time with it. We did something similar with my grandfather's firearms when he passed. I was 19 at the time, I thought it was a pretty good way to celebrate his memory and talk about our time shooting/hunting with him as we picked our guns. It was months after the funeral so it didn't sting as much.
It's a beautiful way to pass the torch such that you honor everyone's most important wishes.

Daughters and granddaughters husband are on board. If it comes that time. Otherwise for the present I'm still buying.

So this does happen to others.......... :(

My mother and sister haven't talked to each other in years after what I consider to be a pretty petty argument. As such my mother wrote my sister out of her will and what little she has she left to me. I can already picture in my mind what will happen when mom passes away. My sister will most likely come with her hand out. To bad the will specifically excludes her from receiving anything from her estate. That is going to be a fun discussion.

My mother and sister haven't talked to each other in years after what I consider to be a pretty petty argument. As such my mother wrote my sister out of her will and what little she has she left to me. I can already picture in my mind what will happen when mom passes away. My sister will most likely come with her hand out. To bad the will specifically excludes her from receiving anything from her estate. That is going to be a fun discussion.
This sounds so hauntingly familiar.

With any luck at all things will work out better for you than they did for me.

In my case it was a large estate that included a water front property on the Cape. Also in my case I had a Mother that wanted to conquer and divide her children.

The trust did a good job of that. :(

I plan on thinning the collection when that time comes. Dont want to make things complicated for the family.

I spoke with my attorney about this a few years ago. I have a section in the will where it lists a few people I trust to receive all my firearms, ammunition, reloading and firearms gear. The people are listed in order just in case one or more of them pass before me. Assuming they all pass before me it is up to the executor to decide. As it stands right now my niece who is very 2A friendly is set to be the executor but you never know if the kids will protest because one of them wants to do it. I feel I've made a reasonable effort but in the end I'll be dead and it really doesn't matter.

I have not gotten to that point yet, but I think about it

As I have no children, nor does my wife, there are a couple of nieces and nephews, the ones on my side I have only met once and since my sister is a raving communist ( Harvard educated you know) that rules them out.

Wife's nephew held some promise, he used to ask to be taken to the range for his birthday.... never got any more interested than that, plus he lives in MA.

Assuming I die here in Fl, and not in NH.... at some point we will sell the NH property and become FL residents, it is going to be a huge problem.

Besides things that may have been declared lost in a boating accident, I have a lifetime of tools here, much of it is Snap ON, MAC, etc.... I have showed my wife things like the 1/4 inch ratchet that currently sells for $100 dollars.... these are not the things you sell at a yard sale for $5.00.... there is probably 50K in tools in the garage and I'm not selling them while I am alive.

Plus the cars and motorcycles.... those can be thinned out at some point but I said I will never sell the bike that belonged to my late best friend and I have an idea of who I am going to pass that down to.

the running joke I have with my wife is don't sell anything for less than twice what I told you I paid for them.

What do you do with 1500 compact discs?

Once things settle out with my Wife's medical situation, I'll be thinning my herd as well. No kids, no relatives that would even be interested (and we have no contact with any of them anyway), so I'll just sell off what I can. We need to get our wills re-written in NH (they were last done in MA before we bought up here), and all remaining assets are to be liquidated and all money goes to a short lists of charitable organizations.

I just did a spreadsheet with all the safe combos and contents and instructions on best practices for my dad's and my collections. As well as numbers of a local FFL who is my good buddy that they can trust should something come up, as well as an alternate FFL in my town. And one alternate ex LEO friend who can take possession as well.

One copy goes to my son, the other to the local law office to store with the will I had done a few years ago.

I feel that my son who will be the beneficiary of these over my daughter, this will equal things out a bit....... as we paid 25K for her wedding and we will not be paying for his wedding.

All this will become easier when he settles down to a point where Im just gonna give him half, and sell what we want from my Dad's stuff and go on a trip.

Last edited:
Don't be surprised if she contests the will, regardless of her being excluded!
I have not gotten to that point yet, but I think about it

As I have no children, nor does my wife, there are a couple of nieces and nephews, the ones on my side I have only met once and since my sister is a raving communist ( Harvard educated you know) that rules them out.

Wife's nephew held some promise, he used to ask to be taken to the range for his birthday.... never got any more interested than that, plus he lives in MA.

Assuming I die here in Fl, and not in NH.... at some point we will sell the NH property and become FL residents, it is going to be a huge problem.

Besides things that may have been declared lost in a boating accident, I have a lifetime of tools here, much of it is Snap ON, MAC, etc.... I have showed my wife things like the 1/4 inch ratchet that currently sells for $100 dollars.... these are not the things you sell at a yard sale for $5.00.... there is probably 50K in tools in the garage and I'm not selling them while I am alive.

Plus the cars and motorcycles.... those can be thinned out at some point but I said I will never sell the bike that belonged to my late best friend and I have an idea of who I am going to pass that down to.

the running joke I have with my wife is don't sell anything for less than twice what I told you I paid for them.

What do you do with 1500 compact discs?
You can adopt my sons and they'll take good care of everything after you've gone to the great range in the sky!

Back
Top Bottom