• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thirty yard Black Bear encounter NC

My nephew and extended family lives on top of a Mountain in NC. His wife encountered a black bear thirty yards from the barn and less than 100 yards from the house with 3 kids under 14, 3 dogs & extended family. I told her to call wildlife authorities, as I believed the bear sighting between 11am - 2pm to be unusual and if there was cubs. I asked her about bear sign got an uninformed opinion. The rest of the family is away....Thanks

From the description of their location it sounds like they are living outside of any town (or on the very outskirts thereof) in a wooded area?

If so, they are probably in prime area for animals of all sorts.

Do they have a local animal control they can call?

Does wife have access to and training with a shotgun loaded with slugs?

I'm not sure what you were expecting from a group of social misfits such as we are. But if they moved to an area with a significant wild animal population they should have considered the possibilities.

Heck, I'm in a moderately populated area with a lot woods in and around and we are seeing daily reports of bears. So far, no attacks though. Sometimes the bears are better neighbors than some of the people around here.

Unfortunately a bear can be anywhere, day or night.

Now that you know they are in the area your family has to look around and see it there are bird feeders, trash containers, composting piles or some other food source that might be attracting them.

They are just trying to survive like the rest of us.

a loud air horn to startle them and send them scampering would be my first suggestion, after they make sure there are no food sources.

Hopefully it will move on, if it becomes a problem it needs to be trapped and relocated

I know nothing about bear. Hope your family stays safe with only a story to tell.

I found this, but cannot verify. Maybe FisherTech knows...?

Do barking dogs scare away bears?

The short answer is, yes. A dog can smell a bear and alert you well in advance that something's there, which could in turn divert a potential encounter. And a barking dog can discourage a bear from investigating a campsite.

Actually I asked about food sources, yes, compost piles, crop seedlings, black berry bushes etc. Top of the mountain, so the bears smell food.They don't throw out meat scraps, but they do have chickens. Told her to check for bear skat and call wildlife, & carry bear spray at the ready in case of cubs or a feeding charge.

Black bears want less to do with you then you of them. I'm one of those retards I guess that embrace the idea of bears being around me and my family. Honestly, your family getting into the car every day should be a greater concern.

The recommendation above regarding bird feeders, etc is sound advice. They are there because you have food. Eliminate the food and you eliminate the bear.

Me, I'm going to hunt them this fall. They are great for sausage and meatballs.

Actually the dogs were in the house....going nuts
Maybe a quick dog walk through the yard would scare off the bruin.
Is the wife strong enough to control the dog(s)?

Other than a firearm, I'd guess they are their best defense.

Last edited:
I'm I'm Mass and they are in the NC hills....Just trying to protect the unaware
This may sound a little harsh, but I'd rather let all the dogs loose and possibly lose one of them (or have them injured) than to have Family injured.

Back
Top Bottom