This 7.62x39 round safe to shoot?

DW357

NES Member
Shot through 100 rounds of Brown Bear 7.62x39 HP ammo today and I just happen to load this very last round into the mag and noticed something didn't look right with the primer. Pulled it out and saw this:

View attachment 134869

Glad I noticed this before firing it. What would have happened to my AK if I shot this round? Dud? Or primer get blown out?

Im not sure but being a AK probably not much unless it kept the bolt from locking up and it was able to drop the hammer....?

I think the effect would be the same kaboom one gets when too long of a firing pin penetrates a case.

Last edited:
It may or may not light off. If it does, it will likely give you a little spray in the face and push the primer out into the magazine or wherever. Since you caught it before-hand, just set the round aside , tear it down, reload it correctly...not worth any mishaps.
If you don't do berdan-primed cases, salvage the bullet and move on.

It may or may not light off. If it does, it will likely give you a little spray in the face and push the primer out into the magazine or wherever. Since you caught it before-hand, just set the round aside , tear it down, reload it correctly...not worth any mishaps.
If you don't do berdan-primed cases, salvage the bullet and move on.

Yeah getting sprayed in the face with hot gasses might not be good lol. I'm just setting it aside as I don't reload Berdan primed cases or x39. I'm just glad that I somehow noticed the primer. I never really inspect the ammo before shooting but I think I might need to be more careful with this Brown Bear ammo.

If it went off possible primer fragments clogging the firing pin hole would be my guess. That's a common problem in SKS bolts. While the AK bolt is a different design, firing pin dimensions are close.

It would be prudent to give any ammo a look-see. Just because it comes from a factory doesn't make it faultless.
Many will squirm over reloads, but at least I know what goes into mine. I never get a glimpse of what goes into WWB, Tula and others.

It would be prudent to give any ammo a look-see. Just because it comes from a factory doesn't make it faultless.
Many will squirm over reloads, but at least I know what goes into mine. I never get a glimpse of what goes into WWB, Tula and others.

Very true. It's good that I can see the primers as I load them into the mag but I just need to inspect these more carefully.

Had one very similar Tuesday but with Tula. Never looked when I loaded the mag but went "click". Looked like firing pin pierced the primer or primer was crushed in sideways. Didn't take it with me, dropped it in the dud can.

Back
Top Bottom