This is how [...] I end up with an electronic front-stuffer

Mesatchornug

NES Member
View attachment 636026
This is how @andrew1220 ends up with two DEagles, and I end up with an electronic front stuffer...
Ok, @Picton and @safetyfirst2125, consider me nerd-sniped. I'm going to try to do this entire project without any traditional firearm materials (e.g., powder, projectiles, etc.). In fact, everything should be had from your friendly neighborhood hobby shop, home improvement store, or online retailer.

What follows is FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY

Since we already agreed that I probably won't be the first to a Proof of Concept, y'all can follow me on the path to a "Product-Improved" version. I'm no @Boris, so expect different cursing. In today's episode, we collect some core components and our intrepid MechE fumbles with a couple electrons.

First, we have some model rocket bits and bobs. The remote is giant, so that's the first thing we'll have to replace...after we test our first barrel, on a bench, from 30 feet (~9 m for anybody following along in Canaderp).
Rocket_stuff.jpg

Step 1 - characterize the igniter circuit.
Looking inside the remote, we are reminded the batteries are in series. Series = add. Expect about 6V. Dang, I was hoping I could get away with a 1.5V 18650 LiPo - I'm sure we'll test it and a 9V anyways... (maybe with a giant capacitor or two)
remote.jpg

Confirm assumptions. Despite my particular preference for problems I can directly poke and prod, I do own a DMM for diving deep with the pesky pixies. A little bit of coaxing and we see 6.39V. Maybe that class in college wasn't completely wasted.
checkV.jpg

Now, how much current are we looking at? If photographing with my left hand while holding both buttons on the remote with my right wasn't hard enough, timing it to catch max draw on the solar igniter wasn't going to happen. Sure, I could have used video - screw that. Here, we see 2911 mA. You'll have to trust me that it got up somewhere between 3500 and 4000 mA. Since it's obviously already glowing, let's call 3.5A sufficient clearance.
checkA.jpg

Ok. I smell like I've been letting out the magic smoke. For once, that's even on purpose. But what have we learned? The reference circuit draws [nominally] 6Vdc @ 3.5A, pumping 21W into the solar igniter with a resistance of 1.7Ω. That's no slouch.

Next time, we'll explore what it takes for reliable ignition when installed through the touchhole.

Last edited:
huh?? woke up from a nap into this. am i still asleep and dreaming? or did i really wake up? there's also the possibility i'm dead and found out where radio shack went.

Ok, @Picton and @safetyfirst2125, consider me nerd-sniped. I'm going to try to do this entire project without any traditional firearm materials (e.g., powder, projectiles, etc.). In fact, everything should be had from your friendly neighborhood hobby shop, home improvement store, or online retailer.

What follows is FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY

Since we already agreed that I probably won't be the first to a Proof of Concept, y'all can follow me on the path to a "Product-Improved" version. I'm no @Boris, so expect different cursing. In today's episode, we collect some core components and our intrepid MechE fumbles with a couple electrons.

First, we have some model rocket bits and bobs. The remote is giant, so that's the first thing we'll have to replace...after we test our first barrel, on a bench, from 30 feet (~9 m for anybody following along in Canaderp).
View attachment 639839

Step 1 - characterize the igniter circuit.
Looking inside the remote, we are reminded the batteries are in series. Series = add. Expect about 6V. Dang, I was hoping I could get away with a 1.5V 18650 LiPo - I'm sure we'll test it and a 9V anyways... (maybe with a giant capacitor or two)
View attachment 639845

Confirm assumptions. Despite my particular preference for problems I can directly poke and prod, I do own a DMM for diving deep with the pesky pixies. A little bit of coaxing and we see 6.39V. Maybe that class in college wasn't completely wasted.
View attachment 639848

Now, how much current are we looking at? If photographing with my left hand while holding both buttons on the remote with my right wasn't hard enough, timing it to catch max draw on the solar igniter wasn't going to happen. Sure, I could have used video - screw that. Here, we see 2911 mA. You'll have to trust me that it got up somewhere between 3500 and 4000 mA. Since it's obviously already glowing, let's call 3.5A sufficient clearance.
View attachment 639850

Ok. I smell like I've been letting out the magic smoke. For once, that's even on purpose. But what have we learned? The reference circuit draws [nominally] 6Vdc @ 3.5A, pumping 21W into the solar igniter with a resistance of 1.7Ω. That's no slouch.

Next time, we'll explore what it takes for reliable ignition when installed through the touchhole.
Awesome! Thanks for taking this on!

iu

atf-guy-png.166980

While he probably used the rocket motor igniters, I'm kind of doubting that the Japanese nutter used model rocket motors for the bang. Has the powder source been confirmed anywhere? I'd guess maybe sourced something from fireworks. Is black powder available in Japan?

The Remington EtronX electric ignition uses 1x 9V battery to charge up a capacitor. Something like a .6 second cycle time between shots. Who knows how many shots per battery. Can't be many at 3.5 amps (assuming that it takes a similar current to pop those primers).

While he probably used the rocket motor igniters, I'm kind of doubting that the Japanese nutter used model rocket motors for the bang. Has the powder source been confirmed anywhere? I'd guess maybe sourced something from fireworks. Is black powder available in Japan?

The Remington EtronX electric ignition uses 1x 9V battery to charge up a capacitor. Something like a .6 second cycle time between shots. Who knows how many shots per battery. Can't be many at 3.5 amps.
The powder question is an interesting one. It looks like it's more available than I thought, so i can certainly run tests with gunpowder and commercial projectiles eventually.

@Mesatchornug is doing his own episode of mythbusters involving a homemade shotgun. But "minus all of the TV production schloque and token tits and ass sidekick female intended to keep the viewers tuned in for more than one commercial. " 🤣

Wait.

I thought there'd be schloque, plus at least one token tits and ass sidekick female...

Shannon Mulaire's between jobs at the moment. Just sayin.

Back
Top Bottom