This is not a trick question

JimConway

Instructor
For those of you that have or can get access to the current issue of Guns & Ammo - Handguns magazine, please take a close look at the photo on page
There is something in the photo that is incorrect and a significant safety problem. Those of you that have had classes with Neshooters should see what I am talking about immediately. My question to all of you is, what is unsafe and why is it unsafe?

I was at borders but couldn't remember the magazine name. But I remembered page 50... I don't think I saw this magazine cuz 50 was adds or text in most everything I saw.

OK would it be the position of the operator's thumb? I don't draw with my thumb positioned above the safety like that. Unsafe because you could disengage the safety prematurely during the draw. I disengage halfway between high ready and full arm extension, and re-engage at the same point bringing it back to high ready.

45C can you post pic?

I don't have the magazine with me.

But it's basically a picture of a guy holding a 1911 in such a manner, close to unholstering, or reholstering from an OWB on the right hip:

1222002.jpg

Thanks, Trigger finger should be higher on the slide to prevent sympathetic muscle syndrome ND if he where to stumble or have to push someone away. Also, He has a roll of fat from the web of his hand almost in the danger zone of being bit by the slide.It's hard to tell but he might actually be pointing the gun at his left foot, I would think by now he would have the muzzle already turned up if this is a draw and not a re holster.

You guys are good

The answer that i was looking for was the position of his trigger finger. It is a major mistake to have the trigger finger on the front of the trigger guard. The is something called the "Startle Effect" that shows that a person, when startled or tripping will close their fist. This is a frequent cause of NDs. The trigger finger should be positioned either along the frame of the slide and on some tactile reference point.

The comments about the left hand are all correct. it should be on his chest at this point in the presentation (draw)

It is impossible to tell from the photo whether the gun is pointed at any area of his anatomy. I know that some of will disagree, but i think that it is next to impossible to not cover yourself when drawing a gun, especially when drawing for real. That is why the trigger finger position is so critically important.

For a 1911, his support thumb is riding on the thumb safety which is the recomended position. We teach the students to disengage the safety as soon as the gun is close to horizontal and pointed at the target. This is the close quarters shooting position and offers excellent retention

The person that commented on how high he hold the gun in the web of his hand. What he is doing is very desireable and if he is a tad high, it is a self correcting mistake, unless he is into pain. As a note, I was in a 2 day handgun class where one of the shooter's support thumb was crossed over and behind the slide on every shot. Everyone told him he was doing it wrong and he responded that it was the way that he was taught.

Last edited:
Nice job of re-posting that copywrited stuff from that "Hardly known" person "David Kenik." [smile]

Good thing he's a big, famous writer... he's not likely to see that on our humble little forum!!!? Probably could care less that blatant copywright infringement is imposing on his income. [wink]

"Old habits die hard"

Nice job of re-posting that copywrited stuff from that "Hardly known" person "David Kenik." [smile]

Good thing he's a big, famous writer... he's not likely to see that on our humble little forum!!!? Probably could care less that blatant copywright infringement is imposing on his income. [wink]

"Old habits die hard"

I took the pic out. Hadn't thought of "infringement". [thinking]

"It is a major mistake to have the trigger finger on the front of the trigger guard.' Bingo! Jim is correct!

In MY defense.. it's not my picture (neither are any others in that article.) It is a studio shot done by the magazine's staff photog. Shame on the photog and editors for letting that one slip!

Back
Top Bottom