This is what passes for self defense in Boston

I have to add my own anecdote to this. Seven or eight years ago I was living in the North End and there was a scum ball running around assaulting women.
BPD finally "allowed" women to come to a table they had set up in the park where they could get a permit for pepper spray. When they got there some of them (including my wife) were denied for unpaid parking tickets and one that I know of was actually arrested. I went to Roach's and bought pepper spray for every woman in the building. I was amazed to find that some wouldn't accept it.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/08/02/taking_the_offense_may_be_womens_best_defense/
By John C. Drake
Globe Staff / August 2, 2008

The two longtime friends - a flight attendant and a meeting planner - stood their ground and faced each other in a North End gymnasium Wednesday. They grappled, trying to knock each other down. One whirled, to fend off an attack from behind.

By the end of the evening self-defense class, 41-year-old Erin DeRosa, the event planner, and 37-year-old Jennifer Scofield left together, confident what they learned could help them if they are targeted by a man police believe may be a serial attacker in the North End.

Three indecent or sexual assaults against women have been reported on the streets of the historic neighborhood this year, and police have said they believe the attacks are connected.

The most recent was early on July 4 when a man approached a woman from behind on Foster Street, knocked her down, and assaulted her. Another woman was attacked in June while walking near Richmond and Fulton streets, and a third woman was sexually assaulted in January, on Charter Street, about five blocks from the site of the June attack.

The assaults have contributed to the fear among some women in the North End. Fourteen women went to the free class Wednesday night - organized by City Councilor Sal LaMattina and taught by his brother Robert "Tokyo Joe" LaMattina, a karate grand master.

The women said they believe the attacker is looking for vulnerable women who live in the North End, not the tourists who flock to the neighborhood.

Scofield and DeRosa each live alone in separate parts of the North End, but they walk together as far as they can and call or text each other immediately to say they got home safe at night. Both said they walk in the middle of the street when there's no traffic to avoid an attacker's hiding spots.

And they said they refuse to feel afraid on their own streets in a neighborhood that is still close-knit, despite an influx of young professionals and daily streams of tourists.

"I'm just not going to put up with it," Scofield said. "I don't think I'm a weak person, but this is just going to make me even stronger."

Laura Alfrig, a 26-year-old attorney, said she has stopped listening to her iPod when walking home at night.

"I'm just hoping it will be empowering to not feel like such a victim walking around at night," Alfrig said of the class. "And hopefully if - God forbid - something horrible happened, I could just at least scare my attacker and not be such a target."

Boston Police spokeswoman Elaine Driscoll described as "very active" the investigation into the 2008 attacks, which have been connected to a July 2007 sexual assault in which a woman was attacked from behind. She said police have increased patrols in the area. City officials also say they are planning to install brighter lighting in some North End alleys.Continued...

The 14 women gathered in a gymnasium at the North End's Nazzaro Community Center for the one-hour mix of motivation and martial arts lessons - advertised in fliersposted around town and notices in a neighborhood newspapers. They learned to punch, to claw, to kick, to flee.

"If you defend yourself, you'll feel better than having some low-life take advantage of you," Robert LaMattina told the women after explaining a defensive maneuver called "the nutcracker."

They peppered him with questions: What if he comes up from behind me? (He taught them a maneuver for brushing aside and pushing away the attacker.) Is it a good idea to carry mace? (Probably not, he said, because the attacker could use it on his victim.)

"Your best self-defense is to run," said the instructor, who runs a chain of self-defense studios out of Nashua. "Remember that. Use your legs."

The group, which included teenagers and older women, hung on every word. Several women said they will add the tips to their arsenal of lifestyle changes they have adopted after the attacks were reported.

Sal LaMattina said he may offer a second class in the fall if more women are interested. The Boston Police Department also offered a one-night safety course July 22 at the ABCD North End/West End Neighborhood Center. Police sporadically schedule a 12-hour self-defense class over four weeks when enough residents show interest.

"It's unfortunate we have to do this," Sal LaMattina said at the gym Wednesday. "We have a lot of young professional women out there walking alone at night. Hopefully when they're walking, they'll be more aware."

A similar series of assaults occurred in the North End in 2002; the attacker was never captured

"The fact that it's happening again and we have people that are so brazen to do this in such a well-populated area is surprising to me," said DeRosa, who has lived in the North End 14 years and says she now gets uneasy just parking her car and walking to the front door. She uses a tandem spot behind her house, so it takes her about 10 minutes to move other cars and park her own, which she now worries is a long time for her to potentially be exposed.

All of the women at the gym received free metal Kubotans, small self-defense key chains used to sling keys across an attacker's face or strike him on the neck. Scofield said it will be especially handy since Kubotans are allowed in checked baggage on a flight, while she has to leave her pepper spray behind.

She also gained some confidence.

"If some man sees me walking with my shoulders back, my head up, walking tall, as opposed to somebody that's hunched over, he's going to think twice," she said after the class. "This is a strong woman walking down the street."

John C. Drake can be reached at [email protected].
© Copyright 2008 Globe Newspaper Company.

"Your best self-defense is to run," said the instructor, who runs a chain of self-defense studios out of Nashua. "Remember that. Use your legs."

[puke]

[puke]

What is wrong with that? If someone wants to inflict harm on me, why would I stay and give him the opportunity? In a fight, I have nothing to gain, and a lot to lose.

What is wrong with that? If someone wants to inflict harm on me, why would I stay and give him the opportunity? In a fight, I have nothing to gain, and a lot to lose.

I have never tried to run in high heels and a skirt. But I have seen women do it, and let me tell you it aint fast. Usually the heels come off and you have a girl running around on bare feet, which still aint fast. You are in deep shit if you turn your back to your attacker and he catches up to you. And yes I can assume that heels or fancy shoes that are hard to run in and skirts are in play because the article was talking about professional women.

The best defense for a women when being attacked by a rapist or murderer is to stick a snubbie in his gut and pull the bang switch 'till it stops going bang, period. A 12 hour self defense class is going to do jack shit for a person in a real fight, man or woman.

Obviously avoiding confrontations is rule number one but once in harms way some people just don't run so fast. Do you think Mumbles could outrun an attacker?

It seems there has been a "assaulter at large" in the North End for at least a decade. The Esplanade is another area that seems to be a favorite late night crime scene.

Last edited:
Is it a good idea to carry mace? (Probably not, he said, because the attacker could use it on his victim.)

Not a good idea to have and use mace because the attacker could use it on the victim? Why go anywhere at all because you might be attacked![sad]

Guess the attackers are not capable of running as well![rofl]

High heels or those Obamas, I mean flip flops, that a lot of girls seem to wear these days are not conducive to fast walking, let alone running. Mace is second best to a firearm, but most females seem to have had it drilled into their heads that guns are bad and even if they aren't, women shouldn't be carrying or using them.

"If some man sees me walking with my shoulders back, my head up, walking tall, as opposed to somebody that's hunched over, he's going to think twice," she said after the class. "This is a strong woman walking down the street."

This is the kind of BS they sell to women. Sure, there certainly are ways to send that message that you are or are not willing to be a victim. That only goes so far though. A guy that weighs twice as much as his intended victim isn't likely to be intimidated or scared off.

The best defense for a women when being attacked by a rapist or murderer is to stick a snubbie in his gut and pull the bang switch 'till it stops going bang, period.

True, but it seemed the escape option is being completely dismissed. If I can safely extricate myself from the situation, you can bet I'm doing it. He should have worded it that way. Unfortunately, he probably meant that (I hope), but chose a simple "turn and run away" line.

A 12 hour self defense class is going to do jack shit for a person in a real fight, man or woman.

Absolutely, and I wish they would stop doing it. I have seen too many of these self defense classes, usually taught by martial arts instructors who haven't had any experience with practical situations. The moves they present usually fall apart once someone attacks with a decent amount of agression. Until then, they have usually practiced in a "pull your punches" mode. Applies to long time martial arts students too.

She also gained some confidence.

As silly as much of this is, the last point has some validity. If you don't look/act like prey you will reduce your chances of being prey.

Of course, a defensive weapon of some sort would reduce your chances even more....[wink]

I have never tried to run in high heels and a skirt. But I have seen women do it, and let me tell you it aint fast. Usually the heels come off and you have a girl running around on bare feet, which still aint fast. You are in deep shit if you turn your back to your attacker and he catches up to you. And yes I can assume that heels or fancy shoes that are hard to run in and skirts are in play because the article was talking about professional women.

The best defense for a women when being attacked by a rapist or murderer is to stick a snubbie in his gut and pull the bang switch 'till it stops going bang, period. A 12 hour self defense class is going to do jack shit for a person in a real fight, man or woman.

Thanks for providing the same response I would have!
+1

[puke]

I think that is sound advice. If I think I'm going to be attacked, I will run first, and then defend myself if folllowed.

I used to tell the women I knew who were afraid of being assaulted to go find the old fashioned hat pins. Jam one of those babies into someone they'll let go. Too bad that they're probably illegal.

"I'm just hoping it will be empowering to not feel like such a victim walking around at night," Alfrig said of the class. "And hopefully if - God forbid - something horrible happened, I could just at least scare my attacker and not be such a target."

You want empowering?

Try one of these instead:

357Magnum018jpg.jpg

The bottom one'll really scare your attacker with just the fireball alone...

True, but it seemed the escape option is being completely dismissed. If I can safely extricate myself from the situation, you can bet I'm doing it. He should have worded it that way. Unfortunately, he probably meant that (I hope), but chose a simple "turn and run away" line.

Your absolutely right about that, getting out of dodge is always better IF you can. Unfortunately the victim does not pick the time and place of the attack and often doesn't realize an attack is taking place until they are physically assaulted.

Absolutely, and I wish they would stop doing it. I have seen too many of these self defense classes, usually taught by martial arts instructors who haven't had any experience with practical situations. The moves they present usually fall apart once someone attacks with a decent amount of agression. Until then, they have usually practiced in a "pull your punches" mode. Applies to long time martial arts students too.

Exactly. Anyone who is training for any kind of defensive fighting can go pound sand unless they are going full contact. Even when you are going live in training it does not represent the mindset/situation of an attack in real life. But if you are not atleast representing the physical portion of a fight in training you are doing nothing more than imporving your cardio stamina.

"Your best self-defense is to run," said the instructor, who runs a chain of self-defense studios out of Nashua.

You also empower the attacker when running away because he now knows he is able to strike fear in to people. I'd rather be putting the fear of God in to the bastard trying to attack me rather than making him feel more confident about attacking more people.

You also empower the attacker when running away because he now knows he is able to strike fear in to people. I'd rather be putting the fear of God in to the bastard trying to attack me rather than making him feel more confident about attacking more people.

What? So you want to square up with an attacker to show you are the tough guy, what if you are wrong and he make you his bitch? was it worth it then.... what if you beat the crap out of the attacker, but now have a legal battle or you get a disease from the blood

how about for a women that can not possible have the strength to square off... where does that leave them?

Run, move, do whatever you can, its harder to attack someone that is moving.

I also think the 12 hr class is a good thing. obviously not as good a taking years of schooling but its gives the student some basic skill and the knowledge that they can fight back and what they can do. It gives them the will to fight and that is the most important aspect of suriving a fight

I wonder how she thinks she is going to scare an attacker....? Do they get a "I took a Self Defense Course from Tokyo Joe." tee shirt or badge at the end of the clinic?

Last edited:
Laura Alfrig, a 26-year-old attorney, said she has stopped listening to her iPod when walking home at night.
EXCELLENT!! One less sheep walking around in condition white!

Because you may not be as fast as he is. In a panic, you may run into a blind alley, and then you're trapped.

I knew it had to happen sometime; I knew that eventually I'd agree with you on something! [wink]

And now, a public service message from the inestimable Oleg Volk:

illinois5773.jpg

Any person who has an option to flee danger and does not so they can mix it up with their attacker is a moron.If you disagree with me keep it to yourslf because I am done talking to stupid people.

EXCELLENT!! One less sheep walking around in condition white!
That relates to my biggest issue with most of the defense programs. They focus only only on the defensive moves and not prevention and awareness. One of the best programs I've seen is RAD Systems. Despite its gimick sounding name and website, it does a better job at presenting the issues. From the program website: "Unlike many martial arts and defensive tactics schools that tend to focus primarily on the physical contact aspects, the RAD program stresses risk reduction, and combines that with avoidance strategies. Other subjects such as confrontational dynamics, principles of physical defense, postures of conflict, personal weapons of the body and selected target areas of an aggressor are also explored.The course employs such sound teaching models as Jeff Cooper's color-coded awareness spectrum to simplify the teaching of these concepts" Also, they use a separate instructor geared up in a redman suit to act as the agressor so that the class can have a go at hitting as hard as they can.
Because you may not be as fast as he is. In a panic, you may run into a blind alley, and then you're trapped.
Or she may be faster and can make a clean getaway. I'll concede that the option was poorly worded in the first place. I do hope it was the result of the writer condensing the thought to a simple quote. But the message in any of these classes should be that the goal is to escape unharmed and not go toe to toe with the attacker until he is on the ground completely defeated.

Last edited:
What? So you want to square up with an attacker to show you are the tough guy, what if you are wrong and he make you his bitch? was it worth it then.... what if you beat the crap out of the attacker, but now have a legal battle or you get a disease from the blood

how about for a women that can not possible have the strength to square off... where does that leave them?

Run, move, do whatever you can, its harder to attack someone that is moving.

I also think the 12 hr class is a good thing. obviously not as good a taking years of schooling but its gives the student some basic skill and the knowledge that they can fight back and what they can do. It gives them the will to fight and that is the most important aspect of suriving a fight

It's not about being the tough guy it's about survival. If he has you backed in to a corner you should try to do something at least rather than take it like a punching bag.

As for women who don't have the strength, all the more reason for them to be armed to be able to defend themselves.

deadbeaten.jpg

Last edited:
Or she may be faster and can make a clean getaway.
True, and only the individual can decide if she's in good enough shape to try and run for it. Me, I'm out of shape and wouldn't be able to get away from some young punk who wanted to mug me. I don't have a lot of choice there - something that pbearberry seems to have not considered. Or maybe that's what he means when he says "Any person who has an option to flee danger".

Either way, it'd be nice if those women had the option to arm themselves instead of having to listen to the platitudes of a nanny-state PD who are trying all they can do to avoid giving any useful advice... like "Arm yourself". [thinking]

That relates to my biggest issue with most of the defense programs. They focus only only on the defensive moves and not prevention and awareness. One of the best programs I've seen is RAD Systems. Despite its gimick sounding name and website, it does a better job at presenting the issues. From the program website: "Unlike many martial arts and defensive tactics schools that tend to focus primarily on the physical contact aspects, the RAD program stresses risk reduction, and combines that with avoidance strategies. Other subjects such as confrontational dynamics, principles of physical defense, postures of conflict, personal weapons of the body and selected target areas of an aggressor are also explored.The course employs such sound teaching models as Jeff Cooper's color-coded awareness spectrum to simplify the teaching of these concepts" Also, they use a separate instructor geared up in a redman suit to act as the agressor so that the class can have a go at hitting as hard as they can. Or she may be faster and can make a clean getaway. I'll concede that the option was poorly worded in the first place. I do hope it was the result of the writer condensing the thought to a simple quote. But the message in any of these classes should be that the goal is to escape unharmed and not go toe to toe with the attacker until he is on the ground completely defeated.
I'm a big fan of FAST Defense. And I agree 100% with that last sentence!

The other point, of course, is that many times the gun is not conveniently in one's hand when it's needed. [wink]

Sometimes you have to fight your way to your gun. A pistol is not a talisman, it's a tool. Not only is it always a last resort for legal reasons, but if the victim doesn't see the event unfolding (awareness), then it's likely the pistol will sit in it's holster/purse/whatever being of no use at all.

Back
Top Bottom